Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.8t AEB Harvesting questions .
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: 1.8t AEB Harvesting questions . Reply with quote

I've been reading through Andrew's and Mr Gas' threads on the 50 degree installs using diesel bits. I like it ! Christophers and Shadetree's ( too bad the pics are gone ! ) threads were also very good sources for info. Thanks to you ALL for sharing. You guys to some amazing work Smile

I am looking to do something similar based on their projects but instead I have an old TiiCo sitting under the bench that tweaks it all slightly (no diesel bellhousing).

Taking suggestions and info from your threads, this leads me to my AEB harvesting questions. Anything else I should think to get from the VW boneyard ?

1. AEB engine with mounts. I have found one with 86k miles on the odo but it has been pulled complete from the car already.

2. Engine wiring harness. Do I need any part of the body harness ?

3. VR6 pressure plate. I take it a Vanagon PP is not good enough ?

4. Stock or saab intercooler ? I think Andrew used a stock one on his 50 degree. Saab 900 one better fit I guess ?

5. Exhaust flanges.

6. Passat Manual ECU.

7. early TDI starter for the westyventures adapter plate.

8. Should I bother with the ICM delete ? many different opinions on this one ..... I think I need an AWP harness to mod for this and coil packs.....

9. ANYTHING ELSE YOU SUGGEST from the VW boneyard ? Any coolant flanges, hoses or ? The yard isn't close so I'm hoping to shop by a list and gather all the used bits as best I can in one shot.....

From my TiiCo, I plan to harvest:

1. Diesel Oil Pump
2. Adapter plate,
3. 228mm flywheel / Vanagon clutch.
4. Oil Pan
5. Assorted A3 serpentine parts as needed or not needed.

Once things get underway over the next little while, I'll start to document.

TIA !!
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8t AEB Harvesting questions . Reply with quote

Do you for sure need an ECU from a manual donor? Wouldn't an "automatic" ECU work? (just thinking cost, availability)

I'm guessing you know how many miles are on your diesel oil pump but if you're not sure, would suggest getting a new pump. From what I've learned, the risk in a used pump isn't so much a loss in pressure due to wear as it is risking a stuck relief valve.

My thinking is that all you need for harness is engine to ECU.

At the very least maybe my guess work will prompt someone to correct me. Wink

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8t AEB Harvesting questions . Reply with quote

Quote:
Do I need any part of the body harness ?

You don't need any part of the body harness. You will need to wire in a couple of relays, but it's easier to build the harness with a new set of relays than it is to try to patch into the original.

Quote:
VR6 pressure plate. I take it a Vanagon PP is not good enough ?

The Vanagon pressure plate will not bolt to the new flywheel

Quote:
Stock or saab intercooler ? I think Andrew used a stock one on his 50 degree. Saab 900 one better fit I guess ?

I don't think there are any appreciable performance gains to be had with either intercooler. It's mostly about the packaging. The Saab unit has the inlet/outlet on the same side which usually makes packaging in a Vanagon a little easier/neater/cleaner.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8t AEB Harvesting questions . Reply with quote

Christopher, thanks for clarification on the body harness.

I guess the PP question needs some clarification on my end .

The TiiCo machined flywheel was done to accept the 2.1l Clutch and PP.

That is what I installed on my 118hp 2.0l version. I figure now that the VR6 was used to bolt to the TDI style flywheel Andrew used because it is different than Vanagon PP in design. My concern was that maybe the Vanagon PP would cause slippage

Interesting ... maybe I'll wait on that one ....

Neil, good point on auto ECU and Oil Pump.

My availability doesn't seem to affect pricing from my VW dismantler so I figure if there is less of a chance to throw a code then Yay Smile

My understanding from Andrew Flints AEB 50 Degree post is that he used the Passat oil pump and just bolted the Diesel pick up tube onto it. I guess I could consider a new AEB oil pump. My spare TiiCo motor is 'supposed' to only have about 5k miles on it as the owner wasn't happy with it in his heavy Syncro.

I also read about the coolant flange Andrew used that fits the stock Vanagon sensors, I'll buy that new.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8t AEB Harvesting questions . Reply with quote

metropoj wrote:

Neil, good point on auto ECU and Oil Pump.

My availability doesn't seem to affect pricing from my VW dismantler so I figure if there is less of a chance to throw a code then Yay Smile

My understanding from Andrew Flints AEB 50 Degree post is that he used the Passat oil pump and just bolted the Diesel pick up tube onto it. I guess I could consider a new AEB oil pump. My spare TiiCo motor is 'supposed' to only have about 5k miles on it as the owner wasn't happy with it in his heavy Syncro.

I also read about the coolant flange Andrew used that fits the stock Vanagon sensors, I'll buy that new.

My apologies metropoj.

The part I was commenting (pressure relief valve) is in the pick up tube. So to replace that, you obviously have to replace the entire pickup tube. If you decide on a new diesel pickup tube, you have to buy the whole diesel pump, set aside the pump, use that new tube on the AEB pump. On your Tiico pump, you can measure the gears with a narrow feeler gauge, inspect parts. I'd think that if the gear are in spec and parts look ok, they should be good.

The "automatic" aspect could be coded to "manual" but for sure. If you can find the "manual" coded ECU, thats the ticket.

Neil

If you don't want my images in your thread, let me know.

Diesel Vanagon oil pump pickup tube. Unknown mileage, but presumed high. This "diesel/gas" swap hybrid I harvested the pump from appeared to have been driven hard and poorly maintained. Note the scoring at pressure relief valve.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8t AEB Harvesting questions . Reply with quote

Ahhh, the PR valve is IN the pickup tube.

Another day that I learn something new (and I search around for the thing that fell out of my head when the new stuff went in Wink .... )

I'd never had one apart... I appreciate you sharing ...

I don't mind pics at all, it is good info for future reference.

I'll have to take mine apart when I crack it open and see what's what.....

Cheers.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8t AEB Harvesting questions . Reply with quote

ya that detail was picked up on by a more knowledgable Vanagon friend; I would've discounted that valve wear. People get very focused on pressure spec but tend to overlook that very important part.

the vwvortex hybrid forum may prove useful if you haven't checked it out. Lots to sort through, and its a slight pain to search unless you're a member, but chances are the hybrid section is less cluttered with questions about cold air intakes etc. Wink

http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay.php?38-Hybrid-Swap-Forum

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8t AEB Harvesting questions . Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the AEB, but on the other gasser engines with a distributor the oil pump driveshaft is longer than on the diesels, so when using a 50 degree diesel pump one needs to swap over the gasser shaft. I hope you're planning on taking lots of pics and posting them here. Cool project.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8t AEB Harvesting questions . Reply with quote

For sure I'll document and pics ( not photobucketed ! ) as I make my way along. It will be a slow build process and I'll start a separate thread once it begins.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8t AEB Harvesting questions . Reply with quote

metropoj wrote:

8. Should I bother with the ICM delete ? many different opinions on this one ..... I think I need an AWP harness to mod for this and coil packs.....

I was curious about that option. Looks like a pricey options but is this what you're curious of?

https://store.034motorsport.com/coil-conversion-icm-delete-kit-early-1-8t-to-2-0t-fsi-coils.html

https://www.performancebyie.com/integrated-enginee...r-058-1-8t

A "how to" using AWP harness with images: (I can't verify veracity of this info but I bet its fine)

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7038859-AEB-ICM-delete-amp-AWP-upgrade-harness-FAQ

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8t AEB Harvesting questions . Reply with quote

I just did the icm delete/coil conversion on my aeb passat. Definitely a worthwile mod. I got the harness from a donor at the junk yard. Theres some detailed write ups on splicing it in on the interwebs. I decided to run the "r8" coils as i had a bunch laying around from my audi aan coil conversion.
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8t AEB Harvesting questions . Reply with quote

SteveVanB wrote:
I just did the icm delete/coil conversion on my aeb passat. I got the harness from a donor at the junk yard. I decided to run the "r8" coils as i had a bunch laying around from my audi aan coil conversion.

You used the AWP harness, right ?
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8t AEB Harvesting questions . Reply with quote

metropoj wrote:
SteveVanB wrote:
I just did the icm delete/coil conversion on my aeb passat. I got the harness from a donor at the junk yard. I decided to run the "r8" coils as i had a bunch laying around from my audi aan coil conversion.

You used the AWP harness, right ?

Correct
SyncroJack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8t AEB Harvesting questions . Reply with quote

If you are doing the ICM delete this harness kit works too.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-aud...j0971658l/
and the coil packs:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-nfis-original-equipment-parts/coil-pack-set-of-four/06e898001/
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8t AEB Harvesting questions . Reply with quote

SyncroJack wrote:
If you are doing the ICM delete this harness kit works too.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-aud...j0971658l/
and the coil packs:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-nfis-original-equipment-parts/coil-pack-set-of-four/06e898001/

SyncroJack, your timing is impeccable. OEM in box VW 971 658L just came up for sale near me for the equivalent of 34 USD Smile ... I think me better get it ...
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8t AEB Harvesting questions . Reply with quote

I have revisited the Tim Shettle Ultimate Engineering flipped tranny adapter to mate the Passat tranny to the inline 4.

I see the kit comes in 50 or 20 degree adapter plate which gives options.... hmmm.

Doesn't seem to be overly popular in North America as I don't see many posters talking about it .....

Dropping the motor 40mm does take away a little clearance to make sure the CV's articulate better.

Still waiting to hear about my AEB sale ..... It seems 2 things happen for me. I find the deal and don't have the money, or have the money and business is busy and can't complete the sale yet Smile .. I try this week for moving forward.....

Zeit, I'm still contemplating the 15 (or 20) deg install ....
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8t AEB Harvesting questions . Reply with quote

I like the direction you're contemplating going here...

y u rune klassik?
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8t AEB Harvesting questions . Reply with quote

So today I just found out that the AEB I had lined up to purchase was actually an AUG motor - 06a block Sad

Damn !.

The search continues !!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8t AEB Harvesting questions . Reply with quote

The 06A should only pose a problem if you're going to for sure mount the engine at 50 degrees, though FAS does have solution$ for that issue. That series of engines mount @ 15 or 20 just fine, and should produce more power out of the box than an AEB

y u rune klassik?
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8t AEB Harvesting questions . Reply with quote

If you're interested in the Passat five-speed, another option is to use it with an AEB or ATW engine built to run reverse-rotation, though you're stuck with the 20*deg install angle if you go that route. Avoids the CV angle situation with the flipped tranny, avoids having to lower the drivetrain.

I know Andrew's got the 06A-block engines running CCW also, but the AEB/ATW is possible to build as a DIY CCW engine. I've been happy with mine in my Bay, been running the piss out of it since late April.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: