Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Redoing Shore Power Wiring
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aiwetir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Redoing Shore Power Wiring Reply with quote

84 Westy.

I don't need to wire it from the exterior, but 10 years ago I disconnected all the shore power wires at the outlet and circuit breaker because I never used it in 10 years. I hooked up a toggle switch and an inverter. Well 10 years later, I don't use the inverter and I want to use the shore power. I have a pile of (capped) wires in that space and I don't know what goes to what. I know which wires are the hot leads are coming in, I can figure out that the other wires probably go to the fridge, but I have no clue how to wire the circuit breaker and the outlet back in.

I've searched and looked and looked at wiring diagrams but I can't translate those into real world wiring. If someone can walk me through this, I would really appreciate it.

I'm quite mechanically inclined but wiring is a complete mystery to me for some reason. I think It's mostly a confidence thing, I hate getting zapped, and I don't want to burn my van down Very Happy

P.S. After I get this working, I'll break off the tabs on the outlet and rewire the inverter to the split outlet.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Redoing Shore Power Wiring Reply with quote

There was a post on this recently with pictures
aiwetir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Redoing Shore Power Wiring Reply with quote

I searched many different terms then manually scrolled back 2 weeks with no luck.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Redoing Shore Power Wiring Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617624&highlight=shore+power+wiring+diagram

So it looks pretty simple:
Green goes to ground both on body of van and then to fuse. After fuse to plug. The white to fuse then to plug. Same with black.
aiwetir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Redoing Shore Power Wiring Reply with quote

EDIT:

OK, I think I'm starting to get it looks like you just wire all the whites to the whites, the grounds to the grounds, and put the breaker inline on the black at the start of the wiring?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Redoing Shore Power Wiring Reply with quote

You got it. There are two grounding points one to the body of the van, the other all inline.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Redoing Shore Power Wiring Reply with quote

You want a double pole breaker that opens/shuts both white and black wires and also reports incorrect polarity. You can't trust wiring at a campsite, and your fellow campers can easily have a fault which will make the neutral live. Your neutral can be sitting at AC line voltage if you just break one side - waiting for you to fault to ground.

Something like this (this one is overkill, but look at the funcitonality)

http://shop.pkys.com/Blue-Sea-8100-ELCI-Main-Panel...gJU9vD_BwE

Oh yeah - no twist cap connections on mobile please. Cut wires to correct length, strain relief, then attach to terminal connectors and torque to spec
aiwetir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Redoing Shore Power Wiring Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
You want a double pole breaker that opens/shuts both white and black wires and also reports incorrect polarity. You can't trust wiring at a campsite, and your fellow campers can easily have a fault which will make the neutral live. Your neutral can be sitting at AC line voltage if you just break one side - waiting for you to fault to ground.

Something like this (this one is overkill, but look at the funcitonality)

http://shop.pkys.com/Blue-Sea-8100-ELCI-Main-Panel...gJU9vD_BwE

Oh yeah - no twist cap connections on mobile please. Cut wires to correct length, strain relief, then attach to terminal connectors and torque to spec

That's way beyond my pay grade. I'm still scratching my head at the existing mess of wires. I only want the shore power for my own driveway. I've never plugged in anywhere else in 20 years and this one hasn't been functional for at least ten of those.

I'm starting to run out of patience and time though so I may just pay someone to do it. I just finished the Town and Country seats and I have to refurbish the luggage rack next week.

I just want the outlets for a dehumidifier or marine heater for the winter to keep down the mildew. I realise I can run a cord out the license plate, but the unfinished wires bother me.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Redoing Shore Power Wiring Reply with quote

Piggybacking here rather than starting another thread, would anyone have any insight on the 110v circuit breaker wiring layout for an 81 Vanagon?

Previous owner removed all of the cabinetry as well as all the electrics, I have purchased a new circuit breaker, just trying to get an understanding of its function and proper plumbing of electrical components.

I currently have no electric going to the outlets, the rear dome light, the fridge cabinet (ice box only P22 model).

Any direction and communication is greatly appreciated,
Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: