Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How To Improve Bottom End Without Cam/Head Swap
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: How To Improve Bottom End Without Cam/Head Swap Reply with quote

I built a 1915 longblock a few years ago for a guy. He brought me a 1776 with a CB cam similar to the W125. The 1776 had a worn top end. The engine had 40x35 welded/ported heads, that while they looked to have an excellent finish on the ports and chambers, they also had a very large port volume. Think DRD L7 ports. IIRC, they were 42mm on the long-side of the oval port and 38mm on the narrow side (100% of valve size). The cross section "looked" to be concentric. I assumed they were full race heads with moderate compression chambers.

So I proposed to work with his very tight repair budget by increasing the ccs from 1776 to 1915. Hopefully that would improve the bottom end power for his 65 Bug.

Final specs:
69 DMS crank
Rimco Super Rods
AA 94mm pistons
Rebuilt his heads
Clay Smith CS35, I think. Very similar to a W125.
1.1:1 rockers
44 IDFs 55/135/200/F11, 36mm vents
Welded/ported to match manifolds (short 5 1/2" A-RPM)
1 5/8 header

He finally got it in his car and running a few weeks ago. He took it to a shop and got the carbs dialed a bit. The idle was erratic. It needed to be brought up to 1500 rpm.

He's happy with the drivability. He says the bottom end is so-so. Like a 1500cc. After 4000 rpm, he says it keeps pulling, almost endlessly. His one complaint is that he feels like the engine seems like it will cut off if he were to let friends or his girlfriend drive it. He wants something a little easier for anyone to be able to operate. I'm looking for inexpensive ideas on how to tame it down, without a cam and head swap. I was thinkng:

32-34mm vents
1 1/2" header w/02 bung
Re-jet

Will these help the erratic idle, and improve off-idle acceleration?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How To Improve Bottom End Without Cam/Head Swap Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
I built a 1915 longblock a few years ago for a guy. He brought me a 1776 with a CB cam similar to the W125. The 1776 had a worn top end. The engine had 40x35 welded/ported heads, that while they looked to have an excellent finish on the ports and chambers, they also had a very large port volume. Think DRD L7 ports. IIRC, they were 42mm on the long-side of the oval port and 38mm on the narrow side (100% of valve size). The cross section "looked" to be concentric. I assumed they were full race heads with moderate compression chambers.

So I proposed to work with his very tight repair budget by increasing the ccs from 1776 to 1915. Hopefully that would improve the bottom end power for his 65 Bug.

Final specs:
69 DMS crank
Rimco Super Rods
AA 94mm pistons
Rebuilt his heads
Clay Smith CS35, I think. Very similar to a W125.
1.1:1 rockers
44 IDFs 55/135/200/F11, 36mm vents
Welded/ported to match manifolds (short 5 1/2" A-RPM)
1 5/8 header

He finally got it in his car and running a few weeks ago. He took it to a shop and got the carbs dialed a bit. The idle was erratic. It needed to be brought up to 1500 rpm.

He's happy with the drivability. He says the bottom end is so-so. Like a 1500cc. After 4000 rpm, he says it keeps pulling, almost endlessly. His one complaint is that he feels like the engine seems like it will cut off if he were to let friends or his girlfriend drive it. He wants something a little easier for anyone to be able to operate. I'm looking for inexpensive ideas on how to tame it down, without a cam and head swap. I was thinkng:

32-34mm vents
1 1/2" header w/02 bung
Re-jet

Will these help the erratic idle, and improve off-idle acceleration?

I personally don't think you can "tune" this problem out. First, you have a cam with 301 degrees of duration, which means the power band is moved up the rpm range. Next, you have heads that have possibly 81cc's of intake port volume. That is going to give you an engine that operates exactly how you describe it operating. Pretty crappy low end and will pull like a champ up to 6000-7000rpm. Maybe I am wrong and others can chime in but this is just my opinion.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How To Improve Bottom End Without Cam/Head Swap Reply with quote

Put a heavy flywheel on it.
Should make it easier to let out the clutch without buzzing it up so high first.

Just a thought. No direct experience on that one. I am so light if there was a way to not have a flywheel I would.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How To Improve Bottom End Without Cam/Head Swap Reply with quote

cb big beef intakes, more cr. .035 piston to head clearance. 1.34 rocker arms., distributor tuned to the motor( recurved or a cb magnespork dist kit)platinum sparking bolts.
if he still needs more. add a 84 mm stroke crank and 5.5 rods. no cam or head swap.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How To Improve Bottom End Without Cam/Head Swap Reply with quote

Advance the cam
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How To Improve Bottom End Without Cam/Head Swap Reply with quote

Good stuff. I did think about taller intake manifolds. I think the beefs are 8" tall vs the 5 1/2" ones he has now. It should aid the bottom end some. As for the flywheel, I never considered that, but it would improve idle stability. Not sure about takeoff, unless he revved the engine up before releasing the clutch...

The deck right now is .050". It could use some more cr too. 9.5:1 was too safe of a setting. If I'd done it all over again, I would have upped ot to at least 10.0:1. With 1.25s, maybe a little more.

Seems like more work than I was prepared to do. Readjust deck, maybe flycut the heads a bit more, use ratios, and re-do geometry. It would suck if after all that, it just became more of a cranky beast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How To Improve Bottom End Without Cam/Head Swap Reply with quote

Oh, as for the ignition, it'll all just basic stuff. He only had like $900 to refresh his top end at the time, so I reused whatever I could. He even has basic W8ACs. I told him about a better plug in his range.

Here's the engine before I worked on it:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How To Improve Bottom End Without Cam/Head Swap Reply with quote

More's law.... bigger is better.😀😀. A nice set of 49cc 40x35's and a 1.5 inch exhaust is the cure.....
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How To Improve Bottom End Without Cam/Head Swap Reply with quote

You said you didn't want to swap the cam or heads, so I will suggest tossing a 84mm crank in there. Laughing

The only thing that's gonna help a huge port volume and a big cam is way more displacement.

A set of panchitos would also solve all your problems. Do you think his heads are sell-able?

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How To Improve Bottom End Without Cam/Head Swap Reply with quote

Stop fooling yourself. The only thing that is going to tame that engine down is a cam & head swap. Changing the manifolds and flywheel will only alter the working RPM range 100-200 RPM. Adding a 84mm crank would help a lot more, but with the cost & additional machine work it'd end up being the same as changing the cam & heads. You can sell your old heads so it won't cost as much as you think.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How To Improve Bottom End Without Cam/Head Swap Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Stop fooling yourself. The only thing that is going to tame that engine down is a cam & head swap. Changing the manifolds and flywheel will only alter the working RPM range 100-200 RPM. Adding a 84mm crank would help a lot more, but with the cost & additional machine work it'd end up being the same as changing the cam & heads. You can sell your old heads so it won't cost as much as you think.

X2
The CS cams are rather radical. You can make it much more driveable7usable if you swop heads and manifolds to something more appropriate like a set of Panchito´s. The smaller port volume and very nice port flow will make it work and that most likely without loosing much hp on top either. But it will loose a little above the curve.

T
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How To Improve Bottom End Without Cam/Head Swap Reply with quote

X3 I thinks heads alone should be enough. Dan
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How To Improve Bottom End Without Cam/Head Swap Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Stop fooling yourself. The only thing that is going to tame that engine down is a cam & head swap.

yeah. If you don't have what you want.... TRADE for what you need. It's the SAMBA Very Happy
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: How To Improve Bottom End Without Cam/Head Swap Reply with quote

I don't know that cam but I'm surprised it won't idle under 1500rpm, are you sure there's nothing wrong otherwise with the engine? are all 4 cylinders hitting at idle?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: How To Improve Bottom End Without Cam/Head Swap Reply with quote

I notice cams with seat duration over 300 the idle starts to degrade.
Since different cam companies rate the "seat timing" slightly different ways, and have different ramp designs, where that point is varies from one brand to another.
It might be possible to modify the exhaust system to help matters but many would say its more work than swapping the heads. YES, I think changing intake and exhaust manifolds could help a lot but it sure makes more sense and works better to make the heads right. Exhaust ports may be to blame also, if they are too big. Jam some 1 3/8 tubing slices in the exhaust ports. Tell me what happens. I dare you. Razz
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: How To Improve Bottom End Without Cam/Head Swap Reply with quote

modok wrote:
. I dare you. Razz

Bring it on Twisted Evil

Ahemm, sorry Cool

But Í know what youre sayin´

T
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: How To Improve Bottom End Without Cam/Head Swap Reply with quote

Not the best idea, but when I put some hogged-out heads from a 1.9 back onto a 1.6, I epoxied up the walls on the intakes, and re-ported them smaller. It held.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: