Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Random acts of non starting
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Random acts of non starting Reply with quote

Maybe once a month I jump in and turn the key and nothing. Lights come on, wipers work, etc. Rocking the car in gear doesn't help, yelling at it doesn't help, nothing really seems to cause the issue or help it except for a 20 to 30 minute visit with the battery charger.
I have new battery, gen, and voltage regulator.
I do have 50 yr/old wiring. There is a rats nest of things under my bonnett that make me want to rip it out and fix it, alas, I have neither the skill nor the patience.
I know there are plenty of brown wires that have busted ends on them and don't seem to have any logical place to plug into. I also know that there are no shortage, pun intended, of things that can and will go hay wire if not properly grounded.
So whats a VW owner to do? Can I run all of those brown wires into one big lug and tap a hole somewhere? I would love to repair the wiring to factory condition, but all it takes is money, or a higher IQ than I have, which isn't low.
Any reason why out of the blue, once a month, that this would happen?
The last time it happened was 15 minutes after I shut it off after a ten mile drive. Super annoying!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Random acts of non starting Reply with quote

Check your ignition switch wiring and contacts. Many times the switch is faulty and makes you think you have an engine/starting issue.

Also those loose brown wires are your friends. Find out where they ground and get those sorted.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Random acts of non starting Reply with quote

It might not be a bad idea to rig up a multi ground point like you said. However, before you do, follow each wire to its source to make sure a PO didn't add some thing wonky. The reason that the grounds are so critical is that the electrons from the battery actually flow from negative to positive (here come the flames). Back to your issue. I would tend to look at the ignition switch. Especially if the starter doesn't click or do anything after just a 15 minute rest. The next time it does it, do one of two things. In both cases jack the back up safely.

1) if you have a helper, have them to the key to the start position. While they do this, use a test light to see if you are getting any power to the starter solenoid.

2) If no helper available use a screw driver and jump across the starter to see if anything happens.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

either one of these test can help with what path to take.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
empi3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Random acts of non starting Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
The reason that the grounds are so critical is that the electrons from the battery actually flow from negative to positive (here come the flames).

I could be wrong but, I believe the statement should be "electrons IN the battery flow from negative to positive" which would make the flow "out the positive post - in the negative post"

Steven

1970 Beetle
1956 Ragtop Beetle
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Random acts of non starting Reply with quote

No, the other way was correct. The electrons actually do flow from the "negative" post of the battery, into the chassis, through the electrical device, and back to the battery through the "positive" post. This is why you sometimes get a spark when you remove/reconnect the positive battery cable, but not when you remove/reconnect the negative one. The car's chassis is full of electrons, and so is the negative terminal of the battery, so there's no flow. But the positive terminal is empty, so whenever a large enough path is created from the chassis to the positive terminal, ZAP!, all those happy electrons just can't wait to get in.

The terms "positive" and "negative" are misleading in relation to the flow of electrons. Whoever invented the battery could just as easily have used the terms "pink" and "green" if he had wanted to, but I'm glad he didn't.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Random acts of non starting Reply with quote

There are two ways of describing current flow (conventional), or electron theory. Some books claim that they are both right, in conventional, electrons flow from positive to negative, and in electron theory, they flow from negative to positive. However, at the college that I teach we only teach electron theory. But for the average person it doesn't really matter, but if someone wants a dissertation on the subject PM me. I don't want to put everyone to sleep.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Random acts of non starting Reply with quote

As mentioned check and clean all associated connections. There are 2 things I see routinely. Dirty/loose battery connections and dirty/loose connctions at the starter. Very often its the small wire to the starter that has a crudded up connector. I have had one literally come apart in my hands. If all of that doesnt do it, then it is likely the switch. The screwdriver test will confirm it after you have done the above.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Random acts of non starting Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
There are two ways of describing current flow (conventional), or electron theory. Some books claim that they are both right, in conventional, electrons flow from positive to negative, and in electron theory, they flow from negative to positive. However, at the college that I teach we only teach electron theory. But for the average person it doesn't really matter, but if someone wants a dissertation on the subject PM me. I don't want to put everyone to sleep.

Im positive there are some holes in both theories, but I don't want to appear negative.

Anode this to be true.
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Random acts of non starting Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Multi69s wrote:

Im positive there are some holes in both theories, but I don't want to appear negative.

Anode this to be true.

Bad, just bad.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Random acts of non starting Reply with quote

If it is your switch, or even worse there is an electrical issue you might be doing more damage to your switch than you want. You could be replacing the switch very soon.

Do you have a hard start relay to protect your switch?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Random acts of non starting Reply with quote

Had this and it was a bad starter motor (after much checking of batteries and alternators). Bought a Bosch one and it has been fine ever since.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Random acts of non starting Reply with quote

Read this - just went through it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=686401&highlight=
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Random acts of non starting Reply with quote

Had a similar thing happen a few years ago--had a new battery--it was the battery. Just replaced it with a new one--no more problems. Something else to think about. Good luck!
(Of course I've probably just jinxed myself for new starting problems lol)
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Random acts of non starting Reply with quote

Bob Brugge wrote:
Maybe once a month I jump in and turn the key and nothing. Lights come on, wipers work, etc. Rocking the car in gear doesn't help, yelling at it doesn't help, nothing really seems to cause the issue or help it except for a 20 to 30 minute visit with the battery charger.
I have new battery, gen, and voltage regulator.
I do have 50 yr/old wiring. There is a rats nest of things under my bonnett that make me want to rip it out and fix it, alas, I have neither the skill nor the patience.
I know there are plenty of brown wires that have busted ends on them and don't seem to have any logical place to plug into. I also know that there are no shortage, pun intended, of things that can and will go hay wire if not properly grounded.
So whats a VW owner to do? Can I run all of those brown wires into one big lug and tap a hole somewhere? I would love to repair the wiring to factory condition, but all it takes is money, or a higher IQ than I have, which isn't low.
Any reason why out of the blue, once a month, that this would happen?
The last time it happened was 15 minutes after I shut it off after a ten mile drive. Super annoying!

The first thing to go in most mechanical systems is the part that recieves the highest temperature, followed by largest load, followed by movement in a circle, followed by movement in one static plane. The iginition switch has to content with all of these forces and often fails with the exact symptoms described. You can always hotwire the car from inside the trunk if needed to bypass the electrical portion of the switch. The key is still required for unlocking the steering wheel.

Next one is the starter and THE BUSHING. Most overlooked part on these cars!

Ground strapes. Battery cable ends, corrosion within the wire.

Maybe take a voltmeter with you and start checking the voltage available at several of the connectors in the system.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
RVAmike97
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Random acts of non starting Reply with quote

You guys talking about electrons also forgot to mention that electrons are negatively charged, unless I missed it.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Random acts of non starting Reply with quote

Starter problems:
The above suggestion to use a screwdriver to jump a connection between the battery cable stud and the #50 terminal on the starter solenoid will test the starter. This provides a direct battery source for the 12v needed to energize the starter solenoid via the #50 terminal. Doing this bypasses the 20ft of wiring that normally powers the solenoid. If this works every time you short the two points, you know your starter is good.
Next, test the voltage that reaches the starter solenoid via the red #50 wire from the ignition switch. You do this by finding the #50 junction below the rear seat and testing this wire for 12v when you turn the key to the START position. If the voltage is lower than 12.0v or is intermittent you may have a problem at the ignition switch or wiring. Cleaning the connections between the battery, the fuse box, the ignition switch and the junction below the rear seat can increase the voltage that makes it to the starter solenoid. Intermittent voltage is typically an internal ignition switch problem. It is a sign you may need a new ignition switch (or you need to rebuild the old one).

Brown ground wires:
You cannot just grab all the loose brown wires and group them together and ground them... here is why. Brown wires in Beetles are ground wires. This you understand. But as an example picture this... you have a brown wire running between a bulb holder and ground. If this wire is in place the bulb works fine and turns ON when it should. If the ground end of this brown wire comes loose and you find it, reconnecting it to ground will restore the circuit. But what happens if the bulb end of the brown wire comes loose? If you ground it without understanding where it runs you now have a disconnected bulb and a brown wire running from ground to another ground.... useless.

It only makes sense to ground the end of the brown wire that should be grounded. Don't assume that all loose brown wires are the end of the circuit. Trace the wire and determine where it runs. If it runs to a ground then it has come loose from the devices it was grounding. There are also some ground wires that are daisy-chained. There may be three different devices on the same brown wire and the ground point may NOT be one of the ends.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: