Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 332, 333, 334 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naladahc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I had the fun and exciting task of transferring both Beetles to Haggerty insurance. Oh so exciting.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I finally got the oil to air breather hose in and replaced that on Żuczek (74) and will probably put new plugs and ignition wires in later tonight.

Going to spend some time on Murbella (79) putting the rest of her front end fuel pump and lines in a fee minutes. Still need to figure out the polarity of the wiring to her pump though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Naladahc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

So after quite a lot of swearing, I finally got the new fuel pump, filter, clamps, and all new frond end fuel lines in and tightened today. My hands just don't fit will in the cramped space.

I decided to swap out some of the crimp clamps for standard fuel-injection screw clamps. I did not want to deal with some of those crimp clamps on certain lines. I know they are there for a reason but having one on the fuel filter is just stupid in terms of ease of replacement. Everything is tight and sound.

---------------------------------

In trying to deal with the fuel vapor smell up front, I used this opportunity to replace every single line, clamp, hose, and seal.

I ran new emissions lines from the fuel expansion chamber, down past the pump area, and all the way back to the rear charcoal canister. Since the old line was falling apart, and since it is heavily covered in undercoating, I decided to just leave it and use it (for now) as the anchor for the new line.

Replaced all the vac hoses to and from the charcoal canister.

That means every single hose has been replaced in the past 2 months with the exception of the fuel lines in the rear involving the fuel injection. That will happen as soon as I have time to remove and replace all that. I have the parts... just not the time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

New front brake shoes and spring kit on my '72 Super. Also installed the lower cylinder head tin, the tiny little plate w/4 tabs that fits on the bottom of the head fins, and helps circulate air coming from up in the shroud across the cylinder fins. I didn't even know I was missing these two pieces until I saw a picture posted in one of the threads.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

drove out of town yesterday for a "vw car show swap meet".... well there was vw's there...and one guy brought out some rusty stuff to try to sell and a few fenders that didnt look bad.... a nice buggy or 2, neet rat rod....some old friends, some morons, some more morons.... 1 sweet prostreet nova..that belongs to a real vw guy....( read not a poser&knows his shit). so all in all it was a....hot day in FL. DAM HOT Shocked
as for today...trip to wally world after I adjusted the steering box a tad. ( I realy should build the extra box I have and swap it out then rework the one on the car....but that's too much like work. and where wood I get the seals from Shocked
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

tore appart a spair steering box for my bug to get it ready to go on. 1 dead ball bearing, so i ordered some new balls.and seals too. the one on the car is about dead. not much play but the lower shaft moves about .050" so the bushing is dead...and more. now the parts waiting game.....hmm better get that window regulator ordered some time too.
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Pulled the beam off my '70 and dropped it off to be narrowed.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ajay4prez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Installed my windshield wiper arms and finished insulating/ sound deadening the cabin. Tomorrow I'll probably do a couple more things and add some pictures. Keep on buggin !
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

the new(used, from a smba member selling .......poop) window regulator showed up today!!! he said it was good and tested..... it was full of sand,full of dried crap I asume was greessee at one time. I barly got it to move an inch. so i took about 30 min or so to clean it real good...winding it down a inch at a time with lube/cleaner them more cleaning more crap out(I was covered in crap from it..) then lubed.. it more .by .then it was down and a lot eazer .I reversed only to find it dosent have a reverse.....it striped as soon as it was reversed (up). of corse the cat I got it from up north somewhere said it was checked and worked fine.... it wasent checked hell it would barly go at all till I got the shit cleaned out of it. good thing I didnt remove my door panel yet!!! buying on the samba is a crap shoot at best.I should of just got one off ebay. and no this guy wont stand behind it, wants me to send it back so he can sell it to somebdy else Shocked yup thats what he said. of corse by then I will have paid the mail man almost ass much as it cost... you cant fix stupid ...and Im stupid. now for a new unit with a warranty. I hate effing scammers.
kirk1015
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Added this VW Roadside Assistance Kit.
The exact same kit came with my 2017 Jetta GLI and I thought
this would be a good addition to my 74 Super. I also put a set of points
and fuses in the bag.
Used velcro to hold it to the trunk liner.

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Filled the '71 FV beetle with 8.8 gallons of 91 octane ethanol-free go go juice.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Installed some sound proofing to the repaired luggage rack area. Hoping, when I am driving, that the amount of metal resonation is reduced! These cars are like super speaker boxes!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

kpf wrote:
I started polishing my rusty chrome using aluminum foil, PB Blaster, and a lot of elbow grease.

For removing this type of rust, better use some fine steel wool and spray glass cleaner. It works amazing.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

my new made in america window regulator got hear today!!! so...I unpacked it...it was kinda stiff,so I twisted it around a little flexing it lightly to releave stress from the bending prosess and then it's a tad stiff not much. so I got out the thin red tackey greessee and....got it all over the dam place packing it in and turning it up&down, moves kinda nice now and much smoother than before.I then made some tubes about 3" long to clamp to the assy at the gearbox to keep the lube going in the gear box not just piling up at the edge everytyme you went up or down..then covered the rest of the open channell so to keep shit out of it....now to figure out when Ill stick it in...I may waite for cooler weather....with less afternoon showers as my garage is full.(34x24 and full, machines,racecar,engines, parts.....full.) but it's hear and I can insatll when ready. now for the effing steering box seals to show up Twisted Evil effing mail tracking shows delevered last saturday....delevered where is the question it wasent hear and the fucking USPS site does not work. and they dont give a shit.
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
kpf wrote:
I started polishing my rusty chrome using aluminum foil, PB Blaster, and a lot of elbow grease.

For removing this type of rust, better use some fine steel wool and spray glass cleaner. It works amazing.

Thanks, joey1320. I'll give that combo a try. From what I can tell, it seems that anything abrasive yet softer than chrome, combined with any sort of lubricant works just fine. The pb blaster is stinky, so I'll try the glass cleaner.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

kpf wrote:
joey1320 wrote:
kpf wrote:

Thanks, joey1320. I'll give that combo a try. From what I can tell, it seems that anything abrasive yet softer than chrome, combined with any sort of lubricant works just fine. The pb blaster is stinky, so I'll try the glass cleaner.

Don't forget to wipe it down with vinegar at first to kill the rust, then wax it after you do that polishing, so that it does not rust back up again!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Removed engine to fix clutch chatter.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
ruckrider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Made decisions on the direction I want to take my 71 standard. Made a list of things to do, organized chronologically for the best workflow. Bought some parts on Ebay and made my wishlists on Jbugs and Wolfsburg West. I'm excited to get things moving again on this project.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Changed out the too-long clutch cable for the correct one. Lots of fun Shocked .

Tim

Richard O'Brien
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Removed the filler door so I can go get a paint match for the spot where my son decided it would be a cool Prom picture to hop up on his hood . . .
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Changed out the too-long clutch cable for the correct one. Lots of fun Shocked .

Tim

Yeah, that's a royal PITA. Almost work removing the driver-side heat exchanger to do it.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 332, 333, 334 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 333 of 449

Jump to: