Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best way to paint a slightly rusted bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
75bus75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to paint a slightly rusted bus Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
If you're not gonna paint it, but rather cut and buff it. You need this thread.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641262&highlight=paint

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8537206&highlight=#8537206

After cleaning the rust / scrape /CLR

Option A: Ankor Wax coating - I assume will leave the rust but will slow it down from progressing

Option B : Rattle Can spot spay, then buff and try to blend it in? the challenge here is all 3 Shades of Rustoleum white match different areas of the bus ( varying sun exposure ) will require more of a finesse to get the right blend of faded white color.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to paint a slightly rusted bus Reply with quote

75bus75 wrote:
the challenge here is all 3 Shades of Rustoleum white match different areas of the bus ( varying sun exposure ) will require more of a finesse to get the right blend of faded white color.

That's why you buff first, then it's all the same color.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to paint a slightly rusted bus Reply with quote

Buffing usually means using a 'compound' that is like a wax with mild abrasive.

It will remove the old, hazy layer of oxidized paint off the top,
Exposing paint underneath with fresh color.

it will also clean off rust streaks, greasy handprints, etc.
A good buffer will 'melt' or 'smear' adjacent paint over scratches and pits.

I once saw a guy fix his car that had been 'keyed' by vandals clear thru the paint,
using only a buffer.
You could NOT tell it happened.

A pro will use only a rough enough compound to clean up the paint,
then work up through the grits to get the shine right.
The wax will seal any places where the paint is compromised.

That your bus is white is especially tasty.
Most polishes are white, so you won't even have to use special color-matched materials.
Not to mention that white is the easiest color and hides everything...

Glad to hear you have seen the light.
You need to be searching auto body places, paint stores, detail shops and the like.

If that were mine,
I'd get all the window/door rubber out of the way,
Mask it carefully from the inside,
Spot-blast any rusty window frames or door seal areas, front steps, floor, etc.
Then, either brush (if hidden) or spray, some epoxy, followed by real color-correct auto paint.

Then,
After drying,
Have that nutty buffer guy tweak out and do his thing..

The right guy could make your bus look better than new. Seriously.

OG VW paint is usually far nicer than many of the paint jobs you would pay thousands and thousands for..

Gotta find the right guy.

The guy I knew was in Mountain View,
But,
The tweak did him in eventually.

There's another like him out there.
You won't believe what he can do.

Glad to hear you are heeding advice.
Many here do not.

You will get a far better result this way.

What’s That Noise?!?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to paint a slightly rusted bus Reply with quote

You know... You could clean it up as well as possible, wax it then have it shot with Plastidip in the color of your choice. You'll get a layer of a rubberized protectant for the original paint that you can peel off & recoat with another color.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwo4jOBRBm...48QAvD_BwE

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to paint a slightly rusted bus Reply with quote

Plastidip is spendy, fades quickly and doesn't peel all that well after some time in the sun, think carefully about going that route.

Clatter nailed it, that's what I did with my 71 as well as the 72 camper, a little spot blaster action on the rust followed by sealer and automotive paint fixed all the window lips and rusty sctratches, some of the drip rail edges I sanded slightly and dabbed on sealer and paint along the edges with a fine brush. I don't have any "before" pics because they are on film and I have no idea where they got stashed, but it wan't all that prettier than that white bus, here's an "after"

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yeah it's still got some door dings and scratches from 46 years of a life well lived, but it's all 1 color and shiny and unless I told you where I patched the paint you'll have a hard time spotting it. At least 75bus doen't have to match Niagara blue, Pastel white comes in spray cans from WW already (afaik), all those dots on the nose can be touched up using a sheet of paper with a hole in it as a mask.
Get yourself one of these to put on a HF siphon blaster and there's almost no mess: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Spot-Blast-Recovery-Bag-For-Speed-Blaster-System-HS2020-/261310489432

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to paint a slightly rusted bus Reply with quote

Agreed. Polish that sucker up. It takes time but the results are so worth it.

Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to paint a slightly rusted bus Reply with quote

I don't use POR. I have in the past and just don't like the results. As far as the Rustoleum, I try not to shoot anything on a project that is not a catalyzed product. I prefer to professional grade products which won't pose a problem down the line when the Bus is really getting restored.

Any sort of phosphoric acid based preps will work. The key is to scrub, scrub, scrub with a wire brush until all of the discoloration is gone from the metal. It's not easy work. Once you use the acid (follow the instructions, they paid someone to come up with that stuff) let it completely dry and prime it with a quality epoxy primer. I use Shopline brand which is made by PPG. It's affordable at about $120 or so a gallon. You can brush or spray it on. If you'd like to topcoat it, have the paint shop mix you up a quart of whatever color you prefer. If you have small pits that aren't rusting through, brush the primer on until the pits are filled then sand smooth. You will have epoxy bonding to the metal instead of talcum powder loaded filler which only absorbs water if exposed.

Put the windows back in and spend that paint money on a nice trip in your Bus. If you want to try your hand at restoring something, get a Vespa. It's a manageable project and a nice companion to a Camper.

My project and my driver:

Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to paint a slightly rusted bus Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Plastidip is spendy, fades quickly and doesn't peel all that well after some time in the sun, think carefully about going that route.

Clatter nailed it, that's what I did with my 71 as well as the 72 camper, a little spot blaster action on the rust followed by sealer and automotive paint fixed all the window lips and rusty sctratches, some of the drip rail edges I sanded slightly and dabbed on sealer and paint along the edges with a fine brush. I don't have any "before" pics because they are on film and I have no idea where they got stashed, but it wan't all that prettier than that white bus, here's an "after"

Yeah it's still got some door dings and scratches from 46 years of a life well lived, but it's all 1 color and shiny and unless I told you where I patched the paint you'll have a hard time spotting it. At least 75bus doen't have to match Niagara blue, Pastel white comes in spray cans from WW already (afaik), all those dots on the nose can be touched up using a sheet of paper with a hole in it as a mask.
Get yourself one of these to put on a HF siphon blaster and there's almost no mess: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Spot-Blast-Recovery-Bag-For-Speed-Blaster-System-HS2020-/261310489432

Mark, that's a great looking bus! Damn!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
avoll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to paint a slightly rusted bus Reply with quote

I just painted my 78, 1 gallon inside, 1 gallon top, 1 gallon bottom, 4 gallons clear, 2 gallons epoxy primer, 4 gallons primer, activator that goes with all that. Wet blasting down to bare metal. Completely stripping parts time, countless hours of bodywork and sanding/wetsanding. There is so much surface area compared to a regular car.
I did all the work myself and friend and got my paint half priced becuse my friend has dealer account, and supplys were still roughly $3000. Except the wet blasting was a $700 bargain or would have been tons more sanding.

So basically I did everything as cheap as possible without skipping steps. Just to give you an idea of what your getting into. Also keep in mind replacing all the rubber seals is gonna run you about $500.

After all that I still need to sand out a couple runs and color sand.
Single stage is cheaper but 2 stage is much easier to fix mistakes.
Hope that info helps, I'm glad mines done but i wish I woulda realized better what I was getting into before I did it.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to paint a slightly rusted bus Reply with quote

I wish I had known what I know now when I got my bus in 1990. For awhile, I did more harm than good in learning bodywork. Baywindow buses were not that special in 1990. I have had my bus long enough to end up learning from my mistakes and fixing most of them. My mantra now when getting into bodywork that I don't understand is "Do no harm". I repeat this to myself when I learn more and think I know something that I really don't.

Some of the heroic measures people go through to uncover and preserve OG paint are really not for me. But in your case I think you are on the right track, since the paint and bodywork are in such good shape. You may not get every little ding and dent out, but done right it will look smashing. I think an honest bus that shows wear, but is well cared for is miles ahead in look and value than some of the shiny buses that impress a lot of people. For the people who know and work on buses the bodywork details that are overlooked or worked around just jump right out.

You might consider finding a shop that understands your plan and what you are trying to do if it is beyond your skills, no insult intended. I'm sure they exist.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to paint a slightly rusted bus Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:
I don't use POR. I have in the past and just don't like the results. As far as the Rustoleum, I try not to shoot anything on a project that is not a catalyzed product. I prefer to professional grade products which won't pose a problem down the line when the Bus is really getting restored.

Any sort of phosphoric acid based preps will work. The key is to scrub, scrub, scrub with a wire brush until all of the discoloration is gone from the metal. It's not easy work. Once you use the acid (follow the instructions, they paid someone to come up with that stuff) let it completely dry and prime it with a quality epoxy primer. I use Shopline brand which is made by PPG. It's affordable at about $120 or so a gallon. You can brush or spray it on. If you'd like to topcoat it, have the paint shop mix you up a quart of whatever color you prefer. If you have small pits that aren't rusting through, brush the primer on until the pits are filled then sand smooth. You will have epoxy bonding to the metal instead of talcum powder loaded filler which only absorbs water if exposed.

Put the windows back in and spend that paint money on a nice trip in your Bus. If you want to try your hand at restoring something, get a Vespa. It's a manageable project and a nice companion to a Camper.

have you had good luck with primer adhesion? I am asking because some epoxy primers don't get along with phosphoric acid preps.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to paint a slightly rusted bus Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:

Mike...I think you were heavy on the phosphoric on the front of that Bay...
75bus75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to paint a slightly rusted bus Reply with quote

It's been slow starting this up - but wanted to post an update on the progress. thanks for all the advice to date..

1> I am using the front bumper to learn on as it has all representative areas that I will have to deal with when I touch the panels on the bus. The bumper
A> has spot rust, ( pin spots some on surface some going through to metal) - no through rust.
B> scratched areas with metal exposure no rust ( pitted),
C> good OG pain coverage. ( Found 2 types of OG - paint that is hard and paint that is chalky and rubs off to bare metal)

Followed the following steps
1> Cleaned water and scrubbed with a soft bristle brush
2> Used 1200 grit sandpaper on areas with heavy scratches
3> Cleaned with dish soap, and then CLR
4> Buffed and polished at lowest speed with Maguire 205 and 105 ( set the buffer to 1 )

Results: Reflective shine in some areas
a1> The pin rust ( Scattered dots of rust size of pin heads) - most of them blended away. a few larger one or areas with a lot of closely positioned pin head rust still shows through.

b1 >Scratched area with exposed metal / some rusted some shows up clean - Applied Por 15 Clear, sanded por -15 area after curing with 300 grit sandpaper, ( This filled/leveled up the scratched area ), applied 2 light coats of paint, then buffed.

c> OG paint exposed 2 issues.
c1> some of the paint is chalky - in that rubbing it even a piece of cloth removes the paint and exposes the metal below. Using the buffer on this left a patchy finish with some paint being stripped off and some paint nicely polished. I suspect I will run into this on the panels. Any thoughts on how to deal with this?

c2> Good OG paint - not chalky got a great reflective finish.

-
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to paint a slightly rusted bus Reply with quote

12k for a paint job?!!!! Holy sh#t!

I'm looking to repaint my bus back to original paint that the PO covered up but I didn't think it would cost that much. Damn!

What exactly would that 12k get you? Does that even include any body work?

This thread totally killed any positive vibes I had for the new year.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to paint a slightly rusted bus Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:

I'm looking to repaint my bus back to original paint that the PO covered up but I didn't think it would cost that much. Damn!

What exactly would that 12k get you? Does that even include any body work?

This thread totally killed any positive vibes I had for the new year.
I was quoted 18k with some body work involved, but this was by a guy who does show car level Restos. He said I would have to do the fiberglass Westy top myself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
75bus75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to paint a slightly rusted bus Reply with quote

12 k is just paint - fortunately for me the bus had surface rust ...

A macco type job would be 3k here...
75bus75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to paint a slightly rusted bus Reply with quote

Follow up to the previous post - did a good clean with water and soft bristle brush on the sliding door - it does not have rust spots .

After drying it and rubbing with a soft cloth - parts of the metal ( grey/black) streaks are showing up. Suggestion on next steps here ( pic attached)

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to paint a slightly rusted bus Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:

With today's labor and material costs and with the size of a bay bus, I'm not surprised with that number. Quality paint and body work takes tons of hours to accomplish a nice result. I repainted my 67 bug in my garage. It had no rust and only a few dings and minor dents. I was quoted $6500 from a good body shop in town to do the paint and body work.

After spending hundreds of hours of my labor and about $2k in materials to do the paint and body work to a high standard, I should of just paid the $6500.

Most folks who've never done this work don't realize how labor intensive it is.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
guitarman63mm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to paint a slightly rusted bus Reply with quote

Any of the 'rust killer' type things are a very short term solution - I have watched it come back time and time again. There are two ways to truly kill rust - removing the material, or electrolysis.

OP - are you using an electric polisher or doing it by hand? It's often very easy to burn through when you're using a power tool.

As far as repairing that damage - I think you should just put carnuba wax on it for now to seal it. As for the rest of the car - did you buy a cheapie sodablaster as was advised earlier? Your best bet will be that + a small airbrush with some single-stage that's matched to your paint code.

- 1974 Safaré Custom Camper. 091 trans + Dual Weber 34 ICTs + Pertronix SVDA + 1.7L 914 T4 engine.
75bus75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to paint a slightly rusted bus Reply with quote

Not using an electric polisher /buffer on the sliding door..

The pictures in the previous post were after after a hand scrub with a soft bristle brush folled by drying with microfiber towel. So the paint is coming off after a hand rub.

With the paint coming off and no rust on this panel - any recommendations on next steps?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: