Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Cap10323 wrote:
I've uploaded the original set to my gallery, is it possible maybe to have an administrator insert them into the original post and remove the old dead links? That'd be awesome.

I'm willing to give it a try.
In a new post. Post the pictures in order Starting from the very first post and I can plug them in and delete the new picture post.
That should work
Tcash
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

I am more than happy to do the edit myself, if I can just get the post unlocked. However, if that's not allowable, I can do as you ask TCash.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Nice you guys should start an Ohio Bus Gathering Cool

There's something in the cards, just murmurs, but hoping to get the mid-ohio gang in contact with the northern ohio group ('Dubs in Geneva) and have a huge westy-fest sometime in the fall.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
914guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

If your bus is roadworthy, go to Dixie bus in August. It is in Mt. Vernon at Rustic Knolls campground. About 35 buses last year. Lots of plus a big VW show (Volksfest). Lots of fun.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Cap10323 wrote:
I am more than happy to do the edit myself, if I can just get the post unlocked. However, if that's not allowable, I can do as you ask TCash.

I don not know if the editing can be unlocked. You need to shoot Everett a PM.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

914guy wrote:
If your bus is roadworthy, go to Dixie bus in August. It is in Mt. Vernon at Rustic Knolls campground. About 35 buses last year. Lots of plus a big VW show (Volksfest). Lots of fun.

The bus is very much roadworthy, I am typing this while sitting in the Bus in a small town outside of Cincinnati. 5 hours on the highway without the slightest hiccup.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Took the Bus to a local aircooled shop, so I could use their lift to make doing brakes easier, and to just do a general inspection of my undercarriage.

I noticed the left side of my beam looked a little bit rusty, so I started poking at it and discovered it's entirely rotted out. Fuck.

The PO said they replaced the front beam at some point, and they must've replaced it with one from a rusty bus. Since there's nowhere else on this bus with this sort of rust.

Are beam rebuilders still a thing? Or is it best to just source a good dry beam and replace all the components myself. This will be my first rodeo with torsion springs.

Attached is a photo of the rust, the dark black is POR-15 from when I coated the underbody several months ago.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

I should add that, while I was flipping out over this rust, the ACVW mechanic seemed rather nonplussed. he claimed it wasn't a 'structural part of the beam' and as a result I should just patch it and forget about it. He said he's seen much worse.

But that didn't rest easy with me, and I'd like to do the right thing if possible.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

time to find a beam in good no rust condition.. would be the best way .. and over all cheapest and then you know.. its done right
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

I sold a decent but rusty one here for $350 last fall, give or take, for calibration.
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I sold a decent but rusty one here for $350 last fall, give or take, for calibration.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, are you saying that I should keep this current beam and repair the rust?

The beam seems to be fine in all other ways, apart from needing a set of upper ball joints eventually.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

You need a new beam. I'd be very hesitant to drive the bus with kind of rust in the beam.

Hit the swap meets and the classifieds here. You'll find one. I dragged a bay beam to swaps for years before I finally sold it for $50 cause I was tired of loading and unloading that damn thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

60vwnewengland wrote:
You need a new beam. I'd be very hesitant to drive the bus with kind of rust in the beam.

Hit the swap meets and the classifieds here. You'll find one. I dragged a bay beam to swaps for years before I finally sold it for $50 cause I was tired of loading and unloading that damn thing.

My feeling is that, even repaired, the beam would just never be as strong as a good clean one.

I'm looking at these beams in This listing here.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2019777
I purchased my decklid from this seller and had good results.

The plan is to get this clean beam core, and then swap everything in while replacing every wear item in the process. Ball joints and Tie rods spring instantly to mind, but also might replace the steering damper shock, bump stops, etc etc.

Any and all input is welcome, this will be my first rodeo doing Bus suspension, so I'm sure there will be some surprises along the way.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

I've purchased a complete, rust free, 1978 Beam from a local bus shop, paid a pretty penny, but it's absolutely dry as a bone, and solid as a rock. So, money well spent.

I'll be totally tearing it down, replacing all consumable parts with German OE parts (Spent 3 hours reading threads about cheap ball joints/tie rods etc. Scared straight) and finishing it all up with a good rustproofing.

The plan is to all of this over the winter, and then install the Beam in the spring and hopefully take the bus on some adventures a little further away than Cincinnati.

Pictures incoming.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Cap10323 wrote:
Abscate wrote:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, are you saying that I should keep this current beam and repair the rust?

The beam seems to be fine in all other ways, apart from needing a set of upper ball joints eventually.

Apologies, I missed this completely

That beam is gone. It could be fixed with major welding but it's structurally unsafe as is. Most mechanics today are bolt on parts guys and can't assess damage like this.

In our state you would fail annual inspection with this beam.
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Cap10323 wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Apologies, I missed this completely

That beam is gone. It could be fixed with major welding but it's structurally unsafe as is. Most mechanics today are bolt on parts guys and can't assess damage like this.

In our state you would fail annual inspection with this beam.

I completely agree, the beam is scrap.

That's why I bought another one.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

I'm not dead.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

How is the center pin?
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
How is the center pin?

One pinhole uncovered while cleaning it, will get welded up. Rest of the beam is flawless.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: