Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aux gas tank
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaineRich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Aux gas tank Reply with quote

Hello,

I installed the Desert Fox Aux gas tank in my 1991 Westfalia. It's nice to go to the gas pump and add 27 gallons of fuel! My wallet loves that!

I have a switch on the dash that I turn on to transfer fuel from the aux tank to the stock tank, but I am sure I am not using all of the fuel in the aux.

What I haven't been able to figure out is how many gallons are left in the aux tank.

Does anyone have an idea on how I can check the fuel level in the Aux tank?

Can you use the stock gauge and have a toggle switch that can read the stock and the Aux?
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Aux gas tank Reply with quote

If the aux tank has a provision for a sender that has the same signal characteristics as the stock VW sender, then a toggle switch will work fine.

Hans
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Aux gas tank Reply with quote

MaineRich wrote:
Hello,

I installed the Desert Fox Aux gas tank in my 1991 Westfalia. It's nice to go to the gas pump and add 27 gallons of fuel! My wallet loves that!

Do you have any more details on this aux fuel tank (price, availability, installation details)? Did you install it on a Syncro or a 2WD?

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
MaineRich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux gas tank Reply with quote

I purchased the tank from BenT, who hangs out on the vanagon owners group on the facebook.

I'll try and find my pictures that I took during the install.

I forget the price of the aux tank, but I think that's because I don't want Michelle to find out!

But, I'll check around for that.

Rich
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux gas tank Reply with quote

I purchased a 13 gal. Aux side tank for my Syncro from Desert Fox through BenT, keep in mind he doesn't make money off this, he's more of a "Parts Finder". Anyway the tank is Stainless and fit well, BUT!! the tanks had 2 pinhole leaks in it, there was a small puddle when sitting over night. The fuel pump is cheap JUNK, the Filler Tube is JUNK, Still not sure if it was worth the money. I ended up resealing the tank, buying a quality fuel pump and the proper hosing, there seems to be a venting problem so I transfer in short bursts. However getting close to 500 miles is a great thing.

I have a toggle switch on the dash, but no gauge, I watch the mileage to determine when to transfer. I was looking at pitting a marine grade sending unit in it and run a toggle to the original gauge.
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux gas tank Reply with quote

Great. Sounds like yet another overpriced crappy aftermarket vanagon part.

If you think pumping 27 gallons is fun, I have a custom built by me 40 gallon tank which gives me a 950+ mile range.

Now that is fun.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Aux gas tank Reply with quote

Can you post a photo of the tank?

Where does it mount?

How does it mount?

How do you fill it?

Curious.....

Thanks!!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux gas tank Reply with quote

Bringing back this thread - I have also purchased the same tank from BenT (DesertFox) but never installed it. It was almost $800 with the pump if i recall.

I plan to install it in the next coming weeks. I'll post some pictures. Hopefully mine does not leak.
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux gas tank Reply with quote

THis looks like the same tank I have. For twice the price.

http://www.foreignautosupply.com/parts-accessories/54-syncro-auxiliary-fuel-tank/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Aux gas tank Reply with quote

SyncroChrick wrote:
Bringing back this thread - I have also purchased the same tank from BenT (DesertFox) but never installed it. It was almost $800 with the pump if i recall.

I plan to install it in the next coming weeks. I'll post some pictures. Hopefully mine does not leak.

If you set the tank on a couple saw horses you can leak check it prior to installing. You could fill it with fuel and let it sit overnight or if you have compressed air you could cap it and slightly pressurize it and spray the seams with a soapy solution. Plumbers have a rig that lets them pressurize a plumbing system with a gauge. It needs to hold pressure for X amount of time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: