Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door Sound Deadening
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Door Sound Deadening Reply with quote

Hey guys. Prepping my doors for Dynamat. Did VW spray some kind of sound deadening material onto the doors? Having a hell of a time getting this stuff off.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Sound Deadening Reply with quote

Don't remember ever seeing sound deadener sprayed in the doors, but 80% of your sound is coming from the firewall. Do both sides making sure the motor side is well attached because if it comes loose it will block the air intake and kill the motor.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Sound Deadening Reply with quote

Not sure what that stuff is in the doors, but it's been in both my 74 and 67 Ghia. It was in both of my 914's as well.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Sound Deadening Reply with quote

Looks as though it was sprayed on before paint. It's tough coming off, looks to be some kind of tar/metal flake material. Hope it's not asbestos!
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Sound Deadening Reply with quote

It is a sound deadening material in most of the interior panels of all of my VW's.

bnc
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Door Sound Deadening Reply with quote

Why take it off? Be mindful that a lot of Dynamat products are of open cell construction. This means they absorb water. Water leaks down the insides of doors and Dynamat would be like a big sponge.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Door Sound Deadening Reply with quote

i agree w/runamoc... i put my peel n seal (cheaper sound deadening from lowe's) right over that stuff.

just tried to make things quieter and move on to next item on the to-do list
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Door Sound Deadening Reply with quote

bhartwell59 wrote:
i agree w/runamoc... i put my peel n seal (cheaper sound deadening from lowe's) right over that stuff...just tried to make things quieter and move on to next item on the to-do list

I used a thinner Wurth product and put seamsealer along the top and side edges to ensure that water can't get in between the Wurth and the door panel. I had new door panels so there was none of the original sound deadening shown in the photos above.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Sound Deadening Reply with quote

Removed and primed the inside door... Awaiting Dynamat. I am certain it will be a water tight seal, besides, I live in the San Joaquin Valley California... Dry 11 months out of the year.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Door Sound Deadening Reply with quote

Lizard Skin is another option.

http://m.lizardskin.com/sound-control-insulation.html

bnc
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Sound Deadening Reply with quote

Two tips:

Spray glue on the door and your sound deadener or it will peel off inside your doors in time.

You don't need to cover the entire door. A pair of 6 inch wide strips about two feet long is all you need. It only need to keep the metal from vibrating witch is what transfers the sound/noise. Show cars cover the entire door only because it looks pretty but is not anymore functional than a couple of strips Very Happy

My $0.02
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Sound Deadening Reply with quote

SoCalJes wrote:
...You don't need to cover the entire door. A pair of 6 inch wide strips about two feet long is all you need. It only need to keep the metal from vibrating witch is what transfers the sound/noise. Show cars cover the entire door only because it looks pretty but is not anymore functional than a couple of strips :D My $0.02

Yes, I agree. All I used was a single 20 by 9 inches sheet in each door. Vibration gone.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Sound Deadening Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input and advice guys. Gonna wait until after paint to apply.
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Sound Deadening Reply with quote

I used a dynamat style product called "Brown Bread" and added a foam backed Mass Loaded Vinyl to the inside of my ghia's doors. They shut like a volvo or a beamer - and have held up well for the last 20k miles.

The MLV is a huge jump beyond dynamat. I learned about it in sound studio construction.
SixtyThreeRag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Sound Deadening Reply with quote

Window flashing makes for good and cheap sound deadening as well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: