Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Hopkin, I got the canister installed and mostly connected. The only other thing I need to do is connect the 3mm line. I have the hose exiting the trunk, next to the gas tank on the left side, but everything between it and the rear of the car is missing. Can you, or anyone that has a Mexican Beetle, throw some pictures up showing the routing of this pipe/hose and where it attaches to the car? My memory tells me it fastens along the body bolts on the right side of the car, but I can't remember how it exits from under the gas tank. It has been at least 20 years since I removed it, and my memory is a little foggy!

Thanks!

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-L3 Heads 35x32 valves 52cc chambers
-0.040" deck for about 9.1:1 Compression
-Engle W110 cam
-CB Super Stock 1.1:1 Rockers
-Stock Heat Exchangers w/ Tri-Mil Muffler
-Dual Weber IDF 40s w/ 26mm venturis
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Gerrelt wrote:
I just received an e-mail from Manfred, the owner of the site. He's been in an accident Sad and needs time to recover to be able to manage the forum again.
See the homepage of 1600i.de.

I wish him a speedy recovery, get well soon!

ouch. that looks like a hard hit Crying or Very sad . I hope too he gets well soon.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Johnnyjet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me where I can get a left side spindle/steering knuckle stateside. They are on backorder in Mexico. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

JohnnyJet try these:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D4160
http://www.jbugs.com/product/22-2952.html
http://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/product/steering-knuckle-for-discs-left-355131
and of course Amazon...they carry some items for the Mexibeetle too...lot of hunting and pecking
https://www.amazon.com/Beetle-Spindles-Stock-Joint...r+a+Beetle
Good luck Sam
Johnnyjet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Thanks so much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Paul Windisch wrote:
Most of that looks similar, from the fuel tank side inside the trunk. Where it is different is mine still blows through the charcoal canister with a hose from the fan shroud, and there aren't any control valves to direct vacuum to anything like newer cars. No purge valve on my car!

Thanks for the diagram!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The EVAP valve is the control valve for the emissions.
Genuine VW Ultima Edition parts
Genuine VW Type 2 watercooled parts
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Antonio Trejo wrote:
Paul Windisch wrote:
Most of that looks similar, from the fuel tank side inside the trunk. Where it is different is mine still blows through the charcoal canister with a hose from the fan shroud, and there aren't any control valves to direct vacuum to anything like newer cars. No purge valve on my car!

Thanks for the diagram!

The EVAP valve is the control valve for the emissions.

Hey Antonio!

I don't remember my 1984 ever having any control valves. It had a 34 PICT carburetor on it, and no control module. Just a hose that blows air through the charcoal canister, then back into the air cleaner. Really wishing I hadn't trashed all that stuff years ago. It was all still in working order when I removed it. Brick wall

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-L3 Heads 35x32 valves 52cc chambers
-0.040" deck for about 9.1:1 Compression
-Engle W110 cam
-CB Super Stock 1.1:1 Rockers
-Stock Heat Exchangers w/ Tri-Mil Muffler
-Dual Weber IDF 40s w/ 26mm venturis
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Johnnyjet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Ok here's a question, on my car there is a light blue plastic electric valve? directly above the distributor cap , it's always warm to the touch bordering on hot. Is that normal? I just disconnected the battery as the car is going to be on jackstands for about 2 weeks. That should cool it down I suppose. I'll check in an hour. Anyway if that's normal what part is it?
Johnnyjet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Looks like the Evap valve. Lol
Johnnyjet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Ok yup it's cool and it's the Evap valve. Do I need a new one? Why is it hot
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

small update on the VAG401 tool: on the german version of the 1600i.de website I discovered that more recent -E versions of the ECU have temperature and engine speed signals' positions swapped in the measuring blocks. the tool is set up for later versions and this explains the odd readings I had with the instrument as it was trying to display the rpm signal as a temperature and vice-versa.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I went to a show in Bayfield, Ontario last weekend. What a great way to end the season, record warm (30C +) and sunshine for the day.

It was also the farthest point that I've travelled to in my car, since I bought it (800 km each way). The car performed well, even in the heat. Also I was able to enjoy the drive each way with roof open.

There were about 200 cars/buses at the show, I spotted this 1984 Mexican Beetle:

Like my car, it was originally sold new in Germany.

I posted more pics from the show on our local clubs facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.355087574914273&type=3
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Nice - this is the special edition "Sunny Bug" sold in spring 1984 in Germany, Netherlands, Austria and Italy only. 1800 of these were built. Technical features are 1200 carburetor 34 hp engine and swing axle.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

alex857 wrote:
Nice - this is the special edition "Sunny Bug" sold in spring 1984 in Germany, Netherlands, Austria and Italy only. 1800 of these were built. Technical features are 1200 carburetor 34 hp engine and swing axle.

Cool, here's the link to SEBeetles:

http://www.sebeetles.com/sunny/

I'm going to see if I can locate the owners. I only talked briefly with them, but I got the impression that they wouldn't know this about their car.
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I read on a post on the Mexican/Brazilian Registry on face book about a guy who changed his ECU for a Megasquirt system and supposedly it works better than the ECU digifant and I was wondering if it is true and is it just plug and play... Please post thoughts and cases if you have done it...
wil7496
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Looking for some help.
I live in UK and have just purchased a 1999 Mexican Beetle. The previous owner, who i have known on vzi for years has had no problems with the beetle.
My problem is:
When i start the engine and drive, the car drives fantastic but after 3 0r so miles, once warm, it develops a misfire from hell! The car doesnt die or anything like that but just has a misfire like hell.
If i stop for a couple of seconds and then drive away again, 99% of the time, it will be fine again for about a mile and then the misfire will start again. I have replaced, to try and cure the problem;
Coil Pack
Relay 30
Spark Pkugs
HT Leads
Rotor Arm.
Its not as though i can stop once misfire starts and take a HT lead off one by one as by the time i get to enhine nay the misfire has ceased.
Im now thinking i need to search for one of the obd leads to go through diagnostics but any help would be appreciated.
Ive also noticed, unless fuel guage is faulty, it appears to be going through an wagul lot of fuel in the very few miles its been driven since i bought it.
Thanks in anticipation of your reply
Regards Adrian
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I had a similar issue when it turned out to be a incorrectly-spaced spark plug electrode. Your issue seems however different due to the temperature factor.

It may be either ECU-related or mechanical (e.g. valves not fully closing when warm - possible, but there are simpler explanations before putting this theory forward). A diagnosis may help you, it may also be as simple as a bad temperature sensor (this would cause a non-optimal map to be applied when the engine is in temperature).

does the misfire happen always in the same cylinder? has the behaviour changed, even slightly, after your works?
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
wil7496
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

There has been no change since the parts were replaced. It is very difficult/impossible for me to determine which cylinder is missing due to the fact of 99.9% of the time when the misfire starts, by the time i stop and get out of car to go to engine, the misfire has stopped again and car is idleing/running fine.
Is there any fuelsensor/heat sensor that operate in conjuction with each other - only a thought as it does appear to have used an awful amount of fuel within a distance of only a very few miles.
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

the ECU senses the temperature of the engine through a sensor in the LH cylinder head. that may be bad, causing the ECU to think the engine is cold when its warm and giving it a too rich mixture. but it's just a theory. if you hook up diagnostics you can see the temperature in the 001 measuring block, or you may find fault codes related to the temperature sensor itself.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
wil7496
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

[quote="GArBa"]the ECU senses the temperature of the engine through a sensor in the LH cylinder head. that may be bad, causing the ECU to think the engine is cold when its warm and giving it a too rich mixture. but it's just a theory. if you hook up diagnostics you can see the temperature in the 001 measuring block, or you may find fault codes related to the temperature sensor itself.[

Really appreciate your help and advice here. I do feel i need to plug it into diagnostics. I have access to vagcom but cannot locate the appropriate lead to connect to the beetle anywhere.
Is there a manual/non diagnostic test i could do to evaluate whether this temp sensor is functioning correctly?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 64 of 193

Jump to: