Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ignition Problem
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WESTYJACK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Ignition Problem Reply with quote

i try to start my bus 1978
check the ignition circuit
on ignition coil between 15 and 1 test light trigger on cranking
but no spark at coil
try new coil same thing
12 volts at 15 key on
on 15 terminal got 2 black wire comming from the front of the bus
on 1 terminal green wire to distributor and white to ecu

NEED HELP PLEASE
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: IGNITION PROBLEM Reply with quote

you indicate that the points cause the test light to flash. Is this correct?

Where is the test light connected?

where are you testing for spark at the coil?

Is the test light removed at that time?
WESTYJACK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: IGNITION PROBLEM Reply with quote

TEST LIGHT BLINKKING BETWEEN 15 AND 1 TERMINAL
AND 1 TERMINAL TO GROUND BODY
check for spark at coil with the center wire on coil and the other end near the body ground and also with the test light in the outpput of the coil and the test light clamp to ground
also the test light was blinkking when i try the coil spark with the wire near to groun
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: IGNITION PROBLEM Reply with quote

1) If the test light is blinking, connected from either terminal 1 to terminal 15, or terminal 1 to ground, then the points are working.

2) The coil will not produce spark voltage with a test light connected.

3) Sounds like either the condenser is bad or the coil is bad. Try replacing the condenser first - it's cheaper.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WESTYJACK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: IGNITION PROBLEM Reply with quote

tanks for your help
gonna try the new condenser tomorrow
the coil is new(not necessary good but)

best way to check spark on coil is by keeping lead on the center and the other end near a ground somewhere then cranking`right?

after reading some info on the web if a condenser is defect maybe wrong spark or no spark at all
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: IGNITION PROBLEM Reply with quote

WESTYJACK wrote:
best way to check spark on coil is by keeping lead on the center and the other end near a ground somewhere then cranking`right?

Yes.

Quote:
after reading some info on the web if a condenser is defect maybe wrong spark or no spark at all

Most likely little or no spark at the HV wire, and excessive sparking at the distributor points.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WESTYJACK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Problem Reply with quote

thanks very much
try it and reply for sure
WESTYJACK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Problem Reply with quote

I guys
news from day 2
now spark from coil after replacing condensator and spar at 4 spark plug good
time for compresion test
no to good 1 cylinder was very low about 90 but in next spring i plan to rebuilt so
for now the only thing that bug me is i have to move it the other side of my house for the winter but i need engine because no towing can go there
so we goinna start that thing
next fuel
install new pump
voltage at the pump and voltage with the afm
stop major leak at the cold start valve ok repair
crank but no fire up
check for voltage at injector
yes but with test light with ground at body the 2 pin of injector light up the tester?
i think the injector are clogged very durty so gonna clean with carb cleaner and 9volt batterie and when rebuilt 4 new injector

i just frogot to check if injector are spraying before take it off anyway when cleanning i`ll see
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Problem Reply with quote

table spoon of fresh gas in the plenum or S-boot and see if it fires up for a moment.
WESTYJACK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Problem Reply with quote

good idea
i forgot to try that
now i have 2 injector out maybe just replace them and try to see
that suppose to give me the answer for the injector
22manybugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Problem Reply with quote

One other item you might want to check is the battery voltage when it's loaded - such as when cranking the starter. Check battery voltage with no load, should be about 12.6 V. Then have someone turn on the starter and watch the voltage. If the voltage drops substantially, the battery is weak. A test light can still turn on with low voltage, but there's not enough power to crank the starter plus hot enough spark to start.

1969 Karmann Ghia convertible
1971 Westfalia camper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WESTYJACK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Problem Reply with quote

tanks for the input
batterie is new and always connect to my garage charger

after more look at the injector very very durty i`m gonna clean trhem and try it in a cup with the harness of the bus
if it`s spray
now i have spark -gas-compression(maybe not at top) but at this moment it is suppose to start
run roughfly maybe no idle maybe but start
WESTYJACK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Problem Reply with quote

day no 3
all 4 injector are clean with good spray patern
next install on rail and test before bolting in all 4 gonna spray in plactic bag
cold start valve stuck work on it tomorrow
new rubber hose and seal for injector ans rail

all 4 injector pass a night in a bath of alcool and next morning pressurize with car cleaner an 9 volt batterie and return in bath for couple hours all works nice
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: