Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

I'm not a big fan of additives but carb cleaner may have a place in the future. Presently the carbs are running as well as can be expected I believe, just a little rough on the idle and it's frustrating to have to drop the engine to tweek the left idle screw! Dumb - dumb - dumb!! Mad
JustBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

My last bug with Kadrons I drilled a hole in the sidewall that I could use a screwdriver under the fender to adjust that carb. A rubber plug filled it when I was done.
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

not sure if this is already buried here or not, but I found this write-up VERY enlightening and thought it was worth sharing here...

it's all about Webers and how to tune em..

http://www.jiminglese.com/weber5_005.htm

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Thanks for that!
J-ZEAL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

I am using KadronSolex. Can you learn a bit more about the position of the pump nozzle?

Please help someone
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

The reason for modifying the factory discharge nozzle is to move the tip further away from the venturi. In the stock location the engine vacuum will overwhelm the check ball and allow fuel to be pulled through the tube causing a overly rich condition. You can see this happen reving up the engine to 2500 rpm and looking for a drip to come out of the nozzle.

Stock nozzle
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Modified nozzle

I will modify the tube as shown and redirect the pump shot to the edge of the throttle plate as it opens.
J-ZEAL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Thank you AlteWagen for the information.
I tried to process it for the time being

I will observe with this

[/img]
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Looks good! What did you do tot the tube to get it to bend so much without cracking?
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

J-ZEAL wrote:
[/img]

Are your emulsion tube bores threaded? I began producing threaded emulsion tubes to replace the pressed in tubes supplied by the factory a couple years ago. They worked well but access to a lathe stopped and so did production.
J-ZEAL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

I used a pocket burner to add heat.
It's small and convenient.
Other than that it is a wrench / pliers.
It's very easy.

You noticed well.
It is fatal that the user can not change the air jet.
I screwed it by myself.
I drew a drawing with CAD
I ordered at a precision equipment manufacturing factory.

I will make things that are not there
What are you doing?
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Your drawing looks great!

About 4 years ago I started experimenting with a replacement emulsion tube, as you mentioned it is the EIS fatal flaw. There are typical failures in the design of the original 3 piece tube (jet, tube, plug). The tube can separate from the jet due to cracks or the plug at the bottom can drop out as well. Typical repair is to solder them back together which works and is the current only available option. If you are missing the tubes you have to buy a whole parts carb for replacement parts.

The original prototype I made from fuel resistant plastic. It was made of two pieces (jet/tube and bottom plug) and fairly easy to reproduce. Second attempt was using solid brass in the same configuration but with a threaded plug on the bottom. Both of these were original design press fit. Next I used a timesert in the carb body to have stronger threads which would allow for easy tuning/cleaning as needed. The third design was also two piece but with the threaded portion at the bottom of the jet to allow the tube to be secured vs. press fit. It had a one piece tube so there was no bottom plug to fall out.

At this time my grandpas lathe gave up the ghost and instead of repairing it my uncle sold it. Add a new baby to the mix and all efforts ceased. Ive been looking for the prototypes but have not found them this morning, when I find them Ill post them up.

I was really interested in seeing how a larger/smaller air jet or different tube hole size/placement would affect the carbs. I know AJ drills his jets out larger than the factory 55 supposedly to combat the known flat spot. In IDFs different air jets affect when the main jet comes in and would think it would do the same but without testing its all a guess.

On a side note other things Ive thought of to mod the EIS was to increase progression port size like solex did on their current production throttle bodies as well as adding a port. By lowering the air jet size and doing progression hole mods I was hoping to get better low rpm throttle response and increased MPG.

Id love to see your new E tube set up, is it still the factory 3 piece design?
J-ZEAL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

I made it because the stock broke down

I have not obtained it yet.
It is preparation stage
It will take about a week to get an air jet.
I do not know when my work will end this year.
I made it a two-piece structure.

The hole size of the emulsion tube was adjusted to the stock.

The jet is a head part and a tube part.
The pipe did not handle pipe and the rod was machined with a lathe.
Air jet size is # 180, # 190, # 200.
The joint with the tube is press fitting and brazing.

I have endured it until now, but I still wanted another size.
There is also a way to change the size with a drill, but I wanted to make it easier.
I hope that it will succeed.

I will report again when air jet is done

Please wait a little
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Ive seen air jets drilled out pretty huge but never ran any larger than 160. Have you driven with the larger sizes you are having made?

Keep us updated, seeing people think out of the box is nice and offering a product that is currently unavailable is what keeps the hobby alive.
J-ZEAL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

I have not used it yet.
I will not compete. I am aiming for a comfortable car exclusively for street riding.

The carburetor like Solex is the size of the main jet + 50 to 70 = the size of the air jet.
My beetle is 1776 CC. The external venturi has also been changed to 40-32

Obviously small in stock # 150.
I made # 180, # 190, # 200.

If this is sold anywhere in the world, I would like to purchase it, but I could not find it.

It is strange to think of that, but there is no other way.

I will be expensive to make it with a special order, but I am looking forward to it.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Dont worry about competing, I have no interest in producing any upgrades for EIS carbs for resale. Ill finish development of my cable linkage with radial return spring upgrade, do the progression port mods and call it a day. Ill report after testing and if a substantial change in drivability and mpg Ill see what happens at that point.

Link

Since you have done all the hard work you should think about selling. There is a small market and if prices are reasonable I think people will pay for an adjustable jet especially if they are having to replace a damaged or missing tube.
J-ZEAL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Kadron Air cleaner is also not good!
Velocity Stacks is dangerous on rainy days.
In Japan, it is difficult to get a Vintage speed air cleaner.
So I made it myself.

http://zeal-gaia.com/1972VW/Kadron%20Carburetor/funnel.html
J-ZEAL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

I can not speak English. Please note that.

I translate it on Google.

I will report that Kadron's air jet change was made.

First, I removed the fixed air jet and processed it like a nut newly

It became easily exchangeable with air jet.

Next, the three-piece structure of the emulsion tube was changed to a two-piece structure and brazed.
Screw processed at jet part

I began adjusting Kadron's jet.

First step: Air jet changed to # 180. At this time it is IJ45 MJ 150.

Afterfire came from exhaust gas.

Second step: Changed to # 200.

A good condition occurred.

Afterfire calms down and gently turns to 6500 RPM.

I will record it on Youtube for reference.

I will try to plan sales.

Link
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

I have a question or three, I'm setting up the linkage on my first set of Webers and have the CB hex linkage kit. My multi carb experience to this point has been limited to a '66 Squareback with stock solex carbs and a Buggy with Kadrons.

After trying to get a good linkage sync with the Kadrons I realized that it would never happen with the linkage supplied so reached a drivable compromise and left it at that knowing that Webers were in my future.

So - this linkage is head and shoulders above the Kadron supplied stuff but still short of ideal in my view. I haven't run the engine yet I am just trying to get good equal action at the carbs. I can get a perfect idle sync but one carb reaches full throttle a bit before the other. Maybe 4 or 5 degrees difference.

If you look from the rear of the engine the links to the carbs are perfectly vertical but if you look from the side, not only are they not vertical but one is at a steeper angle than the other. I think this is wherein my problem lies. To correct this I would have to move the right cross bar ball swivel forward, as in, drill and tap a new hole in the air cleaner base plate.

Is this normal?

Also I was hoping to be able to set up each linkage arm in this system to be at 90* to it's respective link at 50% travel to maintain good linearity throughout the system. There are just not enough adjustments in this design to do that. Thoughts?

I also see now that according to the instructions the links are supposed to point inwards at 45*. Do they mean when viewed from the rear and if so why would that be?

Thanks in advance for enlightenment on this!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

I found an interim solution. This is how the left carb attaches to the link.

Last edited by oprn on Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

On the right carb I put a spacer between the hiem joint and the carb arm to move it out at the same angle as the left link and presto - the travel is nearly identical now!

I would still like to square up the linkage all around though...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: