Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear axle nut torque - VW with 356B brakes
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Rear axle nut torque - VW with 356B brakes Reply with quote

Quick question for you Porsche guys....I have 356B drum brakes on my '65 VW bug. Should I torque the rear axle nut to VW specs or Porsche specs (much higher)?

Thanks.
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Rear axle nut torque - VW with 356B brakes Reply with quote

I used the VW spec on mine
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle nut torque - VW with 356B brakes Reply with quote

Thanks. Would you (or anyone) know where I can find a video guide to servicing these brakes? I'm about to attempt it for the first time (first time servicing any brakes...I know how to adjust, but never had drums off).
pbenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Rear axle nut torque - VW with 356B brakes Reply with quote

Sorry, three weeks late, you've probably got them off by now.

FWIW, German-trained mechanics used to pull my drums (VW not Porsche) by:

1. car on a hoist, centre nut off
2. adjusters slackened about four cogs
3. pulling tire and wheel still attached to drum.

Now you need an old-fashioned drum measuring tool to say whether there's anything left to hone. Don't know the specs myself.

If there's one guy still in your town that resurfaces drums, maybe with a little stepvan with machinery inside, he may have the gauge.

Best of luck to you.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle nut torque - VW with 356B brakes Reply with quote

Buy a bently manual for your car as the brakes may be different they are all the same so what they say for vw will guide you on what to look for and replace. It's easy but you will need a small pair of vice grips to get the springs off and on and knowledge on how to bleed the brakes etc..
roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Rear axle nut torque - VW with 356B brakes Reply with quote

Just be aware the Porsche drums are tightened to 400 ftlb torque the VW drums seem to be around half of that. Either way, it normally needs a 3/4 " drive breaker bar with extension pole ( or the special geared torque meister? ) to release the nut. The normal torque wrench does not go much past 150ft lb so be aware its tight!

I would make sure you note the value on trying to release the nut I guess its the 36mm castle nut you have with the split pin. If you use the breaker bar and an an extension pole support it if you can, take your weight and mark on the extension pole the distance to stand on it in feet.

I would as advised buy the book first to see the VW procedure. But keep in mind the high torque value of the Porsche drum when fitted to a 356.

Roy
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Rear axle nut torque - VW with 356B brakes Reply with quote

The procedure for the VW rear axle nut is to torque to 217 ft. lbs. If the cotter pin doesn't fit, tighten more until it does. Al
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Rear axle nut torque - VW with 356B brakes Reply with quote

I read this thread and was thinking about it and I can't see any reason to use the higher Porsche spec.

Changing the drum wouldn't affect anything, would it?
If you torque'd to the higher value you are putting more stress on the VW axles and other parts that are probably not designed for that pressure.

Interested in other opinions/facts.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Rear axle nut torque - VW with 356B brakes Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I read this thread and was thinking about it and I can't see any reason to use the higher Porsche spec.

Changing the drum wouldn't affect anything, would it?
If you torque'd to the higher value you are putting more stress on the VW axles and other parts that are probably not designed for that pressure.

Interested in other opinions/facts.

X2 A drum is a drum and a VW nut/axel is not Porsche and you will probably strip the nut or axel threads if you over torque`d it.
roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Rear axle nut torque - VW with 356B brakes Reply with quote

Agree, its a strange situation regarding torque values. I have had the same thoughts as above. In the 356a factory manual the torque value is 350 ft lb and it seems only in recent years have people advised 400 ft lb.

Then principle is so similar VW to Porsche on the back end but such a difference in torque value. Thats why I advised he should try to establish the torque on the set up he has at the moment with the drums still on. He could mark the position of the nut and the shaft and the split pin hole before undoing. Would the forces applied at speed around bends be different with the big drums ?

The set up of the half shaft axial play with shims is different to the VW which has gaskets. It does need the book to be sure of what you are doing.!!

Roy
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rear axle nut torque - VW with 356B brakes Reply with quote

The fact that the axles are directly interchangeable between VW and 356 transaxles, and capable of handling ~160 HP in their stock form, leads me to think that there would be no advantage to Porsche sourcing their own axles in that era.

Anyone have any cites to show the Porsche axles were different from VW?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: