Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Left brake light?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KD90815
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Left brake light? Reply with quote

I recently had 2 people tell me that my left brake light was out. I got a replacement bulb...sure enough the left bulb was burned out. I put a new bulb in and it still doesn't work? Any suggestions? I dont think it could be a fuse as all the other rear lights work. The bulb that I replaced was obviously burned out! has this happened to anyone else?
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Left brake light? Reply with quote

Unleash your inner Sherlock. Solve by deduction. First, check the new bulb to make sure it works. Exchange it for the known-working bulb in the socket on the passenger side and test it.

If all the other rear lights work, then it's time to start tracing wires and looking at connections. The good news is you won't have to go far.

Inside the engine compartment, behind the light assembly several wires will emerge from the assembly. Follow the red one to a 4-way connector beneath the tail light assembly, checking the quality of the connections and the wire. From the other side of the connector follow the wire, now black/red, across the engine compartment to a similar connector on the passenger side. Have a look at the connections. We know the wiring from the brake light switch to the 4-way connector on the passenger side is okay, because the right brake lamp works.

All the lamps in the assembly share a ground, and all work except for the brake lamp, so we can assume the ground is good.

If the wires and connectors mentioned above check out, the last possibility is a fault in the tail light assembly itself. If you have a meter get someone to step on the brake pedal and then test the contacts within the brake lamp socket to make sure you are getting power to the bulb.
KD90815
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Left brake light? Reply with quote

Oh Captain, my Captain....I owe you a frosty adult beverage. That was frustrating the crap out of me. I had initially followed the red wire to the small box connector where all the wires converge under the deck lid on the left. Every thing looked normal. I tugged on the red wire gently and it came right out of the box. I'm guessing that the loose connection is why the bulb burned out. I changed the bulb and pushed the red wire back in and all is right with the world again. Adding to the frustration was that I didn't have anyone here to push the brake for me so I had to close the garage door and turn off the lights for each test. Thanks again!
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Left brake light? Reply with quote

So glad you got it sorted out. It shouldn't just push in and be okay. On one side of the connector there are set screws. Perhaps yours need tightening.

Cheers . . .
KD90815
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Left brake light? Reply with quote

I didn't see a screw? I just pushed the connector in and it worked. I will have to take a second look. Thank you again for the advice.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Left brake light? Reply with quote

Bad connection did not burn out your bulb. You would need excess voltage to do that. I think your bulb just burned out....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: