Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'65 Charity Case.....
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AutoExpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

Oh yes....everything I've always envisioned my car to be...but it's not. In the event I decide to dip into my 401K do you have a reliable, responsible, fastidious, anal...and of course reasonable transport service you can recommend for shipment across country? Great car!
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

you pop that valve cover retainer all the way on? its off on left side in picture..
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

What's that spare tire holder thing for?
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

Beautiful!

Calipers are on the wrong sides, bleeder goes up top.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
She might actually get in that one, mine.. not so much. Maybe she just doesn't like the driver Rolling Eyes

Word of advice. My wife hated VWs till I had her start picking out the seats, then carpet, the fabrics for the conv. top, yada yada, right?... Then she flipped. The fact that mine is a interior designer has been awesome.
'67 Bus / Sundial - '59 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
Beautiful!

Calipers are on the wrong sides, bleeder goes up top.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks Keith. Awesome catch. I'll flip them today! Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

Thanks Keith. Awesome catch. They'll get flipped today! That's a excellent excuse to install some new stainless steel braided lines that I found in the garage. SCORE!
AutoExpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a question about the suggestion to "flip" the calipers. In your photo you are showing a caliper mounted on the left side of the car and it is also marked with the letter "L". Are you going to "flip" this "L" caliper on the right? Or...are you actually referring to re-positioning the mount so that the caliper is behind the axle as opposed to in front of it? Sorry...just looking for clarification. Thanks.
Rich
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

8 bids.. nice
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

AutoExpress wrote:
Hi,
I have a question about the suggestion to "flip" the calipers. In your photo you are showing a caliper mounted on the left side of the car and it is also marked with the letter "L". Are you going to "flip" this "L" caliper on the right? Or...are you actually referring to re-positioning the mount so that the caliper is behind the axle as opposed to in front of it? Sorry...just looking for clarification. Thanks.
Rich

Air rises in fluid, that's why the bleeder goes up top.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

AutoExpress wrote:
Hi,
Rich

Keith is right. It's a design flaw and the bleeder valve should be positioned at 12 o'clock to allow the air to bleed out, which is how I ended up bleeding them. FYI: I left them as the manufacturer intended them... Since the caliper doesn't seem directional it may work fine. The manufacturer would have to referee that theory.
MXDesa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

AutoExpress wrote:
Hi,
Rich

It is actually quite common to install the right caliper on the left side of the car and vice versa. It is a defect with the production of these units. If the calipers are installed as marked "L+R", the brake line often rubs on suspension components or you cannot get full range of steering range.

My are installed with Left on Right and Right on Left and it works just fine.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

you can stick a small piece of wood between pads little larger then rotor.. then bleed with bleeder in highest position.. do both sides.. then put on.. you are done.. and no air.. or you can reverse bleed them but I never liked doing that..
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: '65 Charity Case..... Reply with quote

22 bids.. 10 hr to go.. nice price.. but I think it should be higher.. and will go higher last hour i am sure.. reserve not off.. but i am going to guess... 18k it will sell ?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: