Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

[Solved] Stuck in 4th Gear -- West Vancouver
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ohhorob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: [Solved] Stuck in 4th Gear -- West Vancouver Reply with quote

My cousins made it from Santa Cruz CA to Jackson WY for the eclipse with a brief radiator swap in Twin Falls ID (thanks to kindness of Vanagon Rescue Squad!)

They've had a blast wandering up through Montana into Banff, and now across to (almost) Vancouver.

Got a report today that they "appear to be stuck in 4th"... could be http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=78

If this is indeed time for a rebuilt transaxle, what options should we explore for sourcing it? GoWestly is asking ~$2800 (inc. core charges) for a rebuilt transaxle but with 5-7 days before shipping.

What should we be doing to try and confirm the "stuck in 4th" shifting problem? Are there any decent transaxle replacement options closer to Vancouver?

Last edited by ohhorob on Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: [Help!] Stuck in 4th Gear -- West Vancouver Reply with quote

Just recently went through this, immediately BEFORE my eclipse trip... Rolling Eyes Wink

Aside from a plain old used trans (...which you could find here in the classifieds
for about half the price of a rebuild...???
) I can recommend these rebuilders:
- "Mr. GAS" in CO
- AA Trans in WA
- Arizona Trans in AZ
- Wright Gearbox in CA
- Rancho Trans in CA
- German Trans in OR

When I was calling around in early August I found lead times to be anywhere from 1-6 weeks, prices
ranged from $1050 to $1700, warranty from 1 to 5 years, and core charge from $250 to $700.

I went for the builder with the best reviews/reputation that could also meet my timeline [Wright].
They were right in the middle of the price/warranty/core equation & ended up with a great transaxle.
Already 2000+ perfect miles on it & no complaints.

Good luck!

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: [Help!] Stuck in 4th Gear -- West Vancouver Reply with quote

In North Vancouver (which is the municipality right next to West Vancouver), there is a shop called "Van Wonder". The brains there is John Horvath and he will very likely have a spare transaxle he can sell you and install. John is also able to rebuild VW transaxles, although that will slow you down with a longer wait.

Adria Imports and Rudy and Peter Motors in Vancouver. These shops all, at any given time, have spare transaxles.

http://www.vanwonderauto.com/

http://www.adriaauto.ca/

https://www.rudyandpetermotors.com/
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: [Help!] Stuck in 4th Gear -- West Vancouver Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
In North Vancouver (which is the municipality right next to West Vancouver),

If the other suggestions don't pan out, consider Esplanade Autohaus in North Vancouver. They work on Vanagons.

407 Mountain Hwy, North Vancouver
BC, v7j2z7

[email protected]

Tel: 604 980 7413
OPENING HOURS:

Mon - Fri: 9am - 6pm
Saturday: By appointment
Sunday: Closed

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
calfredson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: [Help!] Stuck in 4th Gear -- West Vancouver Reply with quote

I am currently having my (Syncro) transmission rebuilt at Bert's Automotive in Vancouver. They have a lot of Vanagon experience, I believe that is where most of the Vanagon specific shops listed above farm out their transmission work.

Coincidentally, it was in West Vancouver that my transmission gave out on me as well. Maybe all Vanagon drivers should avoid West Van.
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: [Help!] Stuck in 4th Gear -- West Vancouver Reply with quote

I's steer clear of Bert's. Bad service
2013 ktm 690r
Sector nine pintail
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ohhorob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: [Help!] Stuck in 4th Gear -- West Vancouver Reply with quote

Thanks all.. they've called around and the closest shop Van Wonder is available to do the rebuild now. Seems to be a competitive price, although I'm expecting the initial quote to not include some bits that might be required!

Will have a clutch kit done at the same time.. and possibly CV joints depending on inspection.
ohhorob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: [Solved] Stuck in 4th Gear -- West Vancouver Reply with quote

John at Van Wonder had them back on the road Tuesday evening!

Clutch kit done, flywheel swapped and 1 CV joint replaced too. ~3k CAD all said and done.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: [Solved] Stuck in 4th Gear -- West Vancouver Reply with quote

ohhorob wrote:
John at Van Wonder had them back on the road Tuesday evening!

Clutch kit done, flywheel swapped and 1 CV joint replaced too. ~3k CAD all said and done.

And trans rebuild too, right?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
ohhorob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: [Solved] Stuck in 4th Gear -- West Vancouver Reply with quote

Yes, that was the main fare. The 3-4 hub crumbled into several pieces.. over 230,000 miles on the odometer!
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: [Solved] Stuck in 4th Gear -- West Vancouver Reply with quote

Wow, that's pretty quick service for a transaxle repair of that size. I'm impressed. I think that same 3/4 hub service took me...lessee..add those, carry the 1,...aaaaahhh, 5 weeks?

Really remarkable and that is not a bad price for all that work as well.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: