Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VWs preserving history
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

A few months after taking pictures of a neat old covered bridge in Philipi, West Virginia, it was destroyed by arson.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'd like to see pics of your VW with neat old structures, especially those that have fallen into disrepair & may soon be demolished. A description of where & what its purpose was. Old photos encouraged, as are before & after pics.

Here is the Crusty Pig with the Wakelon school built in 1909 in Zebulon NC (halfway point between Wakefield & Zebulon, hence the name.). It was the largest school in rural NC with over 900 students per year.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Gable's Motel Lodge, Raleigh NC.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Needham B. Broughton detention center for youthful offenders (ahem, sorry, High School) founded in 1929 located in Raleigh NC.

Still in use but a lot has changed since my incarceration there. Laughing The whole front lawn is now a parking lot.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

The remains of St Agnes hospital, also in Raleigh NC, a "coloreds only" hospital built in 1898.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

If you really want to "preserve" history....then you need to look into the national archives digital image preservation program. I am not sure if it is still running....but about 5-6 years ago....the national archives stumbled upon an inherent truth...that most of what we know about the actual day to day appearance of people, places, things, styles and fashions from the past 150 years ...came from the millions of NEGATIVES in every form...stored in shoe boxes and footlockers in attics.

Film was more expensive and more precious and you did not get to just keep one and throw away the rest when you to 24 or 36 exposures. You had a record.

Their worry is that about 95% of the trillions of pictures taken by billions of people who now have digital cameras...never make it to print...much less archival print...most eventually get discarded when the phone, desktop computer or laptop dies, is traded in or fails.....or when like what happened to me...a 1 terabyte drive failed and 30,000 photos and 10,000 files vaporized.

They had a program where anyone could submit digital pictures of everyday life and items so they could be archived for future history.

I believe the only caveats being you had to have legal control of the image...not a picture of someones intellectual property...and needed to know and provide...where, when, what and who was in the picture.

Worth looking into. Otherwise...when you die....and your laptop gets scrapped or stripped...or your cloud account is no longer being paid....all of these images are just vapor. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
e&m_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Sounds like a fun concept, so couldn't resist pulling off at a couple of places on an ice cream run this afternoon...

Optical tracker on a Nike (Cold War defensive) missile site. I'm not sure if the optical tracker was used as part of the Nike installation - it might have been put there because of the available property & relatively dark sky for Washington DC area. Research while having our ice cream indicates it was used for satellite tracking, and after some decades of decay has been re-purposed into a weekend amateur observatory...

This is even closer to us, this is a >120 year old building, but that's nothing special around here. More special is the fact that this little decaying site, in the middle of sprouting condo's & office buildings, was the original distillery for Virginia Gentleman Whiskey - from the start of the post-prohibition era through 1988.
[/img]
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

I think this concept is great!

Just be sure to log time, dates and locations and whats in the background by name..maybe even GPS info...and of course information on the car and any people in the picture....and THEN contact the National archives about having a VW and places of interest and history category (if they do not already have one).

I think it would be fantastic to preserve not only VW history but national history..pictorially at the same time.

The national archives is maintaining a digital "image vault"...safe from power loss....and EMP....which may become relevant if "Rocket man" pops a wad over the pacific.... Wink
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Just by keeping your old VWs and older vehicles running, you are preserving history.

I just spent a week in Los Angeles, Huntington Beach, and San Diego - saw about 6 VWs total !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Link to the national archive thing... it sounds cool.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Their worry is that about 95% of the trillions of pictures taken by billions of people who now have digital cameras...never make it to print...much less archival print...most eventually get discarded when the phone, desktop computer or laptop dies, is traded in or fails.....or when like what happened to me...a 1 terabyte drive failed and 30,000 photos and 10,000 files vaporized.

This is avoidable if you plan ahead a little.

For as long as I can remember, I've had at least one extra external hard drive (now I use two simultaneously) that stuff from my camera (when I had one), phone, and computers gets transferred to at least monthly. That way, if something fails, everything is backed up and in my physical possession (I don't trust 'the cloud').
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

This is avoidable if you plan ahead a little.

For as long as I can remember, I've had at least one extra external hard drive (now I use two simultaneously) that stuff from my camera (when I had one), phone, and computers gets transferred to at least monthly. That way, if something fails, everything is backed up and in my physical possession (I don't trust 'the cloud').

Depending on who is doing this with what.....None of that is safe. External hard drives are junk....all of them.

Unless....they are serious hard disks like even a basic raid 1 system....real hard drives with shielding....a power faulure or (like what happened to mine).......an,actual issue with the board.....which is VERY common.....you are not safe

Yes....the cloud is not safe unless its saving to a real high end server farm. I have no perfect answer either. Ray
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Just by keeping your old VWs and older vehicles running, you are preserving history.

I just spent a week in Los Angeles, Huntington Beach, and San Diego - saw about 6 VWs total !!!

Only 6? I thought CA was VW land.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Cusser wrote:

Only 6? I thought CA was VW land.

Maybe 3 bugs. See less every year. Maybe they come out more on the weekends.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Old corner Texaco station on N Main St & Mason St in Franklinton NC.

stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Chandelier tree, Leggitt Ca 1941

Chandelier Tree Leggitt Ca 2016

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

One of my favorites, someone started a restoration on this majestic old lady on 3700 US1 South in Kittrell NC just before the housing crash & hasn't been back since. It had a porch with columns on it at that time. It has amazing detail work & dentil molding.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

E B Bain water works, built in 1949 was the water processing plant & pumping station for Raleigh NC.

Link

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Ralston Purina plant in Raleigh NC.

René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

In front of Janis Joplin's house in Larkspur, CA (the last place she lived in):

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

It's a shame when this IHOP on Hillsboro St in Raleigh NC becomes the construction site office for Millennial ant farms. These 100 plus unit apartment complexes seem to be all the rage right now.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 20

Jump to: