Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CA DMV Help! 1987 Syncro Doka
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: CA DMV Help! 1987 Syncro Doka Reply with quote

BenT Syncro wrote:
You have [not] lost control of it by leaving it at home. You haven't lost possession just because you are not carrying it.

good points
lets flog this a bit more
lets say I have a driver license in Georgia, and a vehicle registered there, parked at one of my residences, and I leave my Georgia driver license in Georgia.

Then I fly to one of my other residences, in California this time, and when I arrive, I begin to drive a vehicle registered to me at my California address, as shown on my Cali driver license..

am I in violation of something?Smile

disclaimer, I no longer own a vehicle registered out of state, therefore I no longer need, nor maintain a current driver license for that state.

I certainly have in the past, owned vehicles, and driver licenses, for more than one state.
During registration and driver license renewals, neither state made any noise about being able to detect whether I had vehicles registered in other states, or had driver licenses for other states.

Im not advocating breaking any laws, just sharing some details about the realities I experienced, in the past.

I yield to those of you with more recent experience, and broader knowledge.

I hope the OP figures out how to solve his problem..
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: CA DMV Help! 1987 Syncro Doka Reply with quote

I'm sure most of us have driven well past the speed limit and never got a ticket for it. Did the fact that you didn't get a ticket make you actions lawful?

I've reached out to the OP by phone as he requested. In fact, I am chatting with him this very moment.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: CA DMV Help! 1987 Syncro Doka Reply with quote

Glad the OP is in your capable hands BenT Smile
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: CA DMV Help! 1987 Syncro Doka Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
BenT Syncro wrote:
You have [not] lost control of it by leaving it at home. You haven't lost possession just because you are not carrying it.

good points
lets flog this a bit more
lets say I have a driver license in Georgia, and a vehicle registered there, parked at one of my residences, and I leave my Georgia driver license in Georgia.

Then I fly to one of my other residences, in California this time, and when I arrive, I begin to drive a vehicle registered to me at my California address, as shown on my Cali driver license..

am I in violation of something?Smile

disclaimer, I no longer own a vehicle registered out of state, therefore I no longer need, nor maintain a current driver license for that state.

I certainly have in the past, owned vehicles, and driver licenses, for more than one state.
During registration and driver license renewals, neither state made any noise about being able to detect whether I had vehicles registered in other states, or had driver licenses for other states.

Im not advocating breaking any laws, just sharing some details about the realities I experienced, in the past.

I yield to those of you with more recent experience, and broader knowledge.

I hope the OP figures out how to solve his problem..

RealID changed that. Generally, it's illegal to have two licenses. You have to be licensed where you claim legal residence.
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: CA DMV Help! 1987 Syncro Doka Reply with quote

The California Highway Patrol wants California drivers to report "cheaters". (I think they used to use the term "scofflaw", but now it is cheaters.) Drivers are supposed to register cars in the State of their residency. So we are supposed to turn people in who live here with out-of-state plates. Here are the details:

https://www.chp.ca.gov/notify-chp/cheaters-out-of-state-(out-of-state-registration-violators)

I assume that if you get pulled over for a traffic violation with out-of-state plates, you will be asked a bunch of questions about your residency.
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: CA DMV Help! 1987 Syncro Doka Reply with quote

There are definitely some ZZZs in California that have been imported in the last year. I'm not sure how but I know of a few.(Some were at Sfyncrofest)
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: CA DMV Help! 1987 Syncro Doka Reply with quote

termuehlen wrote:
The California Highway Patrol wants California drivers to report "cheaters". (I think they used to use the term "scofflaw", but now it is cheaters.) Drivers are supposed to register cars in the State of their residency. So we are supposed to turn people in who live here with out-of-state plates. Here are the details:

https://www.chp.ca.gov/notify-chp/cheaters-out-of-state-(out-of-state-registration-violators)

I assume that if you get pulled over for a traffic violation with out-of-state plates, you will be asked a bunch of questions about your residency.

That's smart. Keeping costs of enforcement lower is good government.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: CA DMV Help! 1987 Syncro Doka Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
That's smart. Keeping costs of enforcement lower is good government.

Oddly, it was also a tactic employed by the Stasi....

As the saying in Oz goes: 1-800-Dob-A-Mate
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: CA DMV Help! 1987 Syncro Doka Reply with quote

As far as having an out of state license plate goes, a Doka is a very unique vehicle. If you drive it daily; and especially if you park it in a visible public spot, it will garner enough attention that the ruse would not work for long.

Most folks who use out of state plates have exotic cars they drive on rare occasions. It works for them because of scarcity of exposure. This goes double if, like me, you live across the street from a retired guy who does volunteer work for the sheriff department.

Chuey
jimstuart2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: CA DMV Help! 1987 Syncro Doka Reply with quote

I found Executive Orders on the CARB web site certifying for emissions two different 1.6 VW Turbo diesel motors in 1987.
1.) Engine code JP and model: Golf/ Jetta (Executive Order:A-7-111)
2.) Engine code: MF and model: Jetta ( Executive Order: A-7-114)

Does anyone know what the differences are between these and the JX which I understand was never sold in the U.S. market?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: CA DMV Help! 1987 Syncro Doka Reply with quote

jimstuart2 wrote:
Does anyone know what the differences are between these and the JX

what did BenT tell you?

Jon_slider wrote:
here is an expert you can ask for more info
http://www.autostadtwest.com

and have you talked to Jeff yet?
jimstuart2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: CA DMV Help! 1987 Syncro Doka Reply with quote

Ben T very kindly phoned me and gave me ideas.
Autostadt replied to my e mail and said that they could not be of help.
You and others have shared their helpful insights.
In the mean time the truck is being licensed and titled in one of the other (no hoops to jump thru states) and I will perhaps bring it to CA full time in the future and try again!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: CA DMV Help! 1987 Syncro Doka Reply with quote

jimstuart2 wrote:
In the mean time the truck is being licensed and titled in one of the other (no hoops to jump thru states) and I will perhaps bring it to CA full time in the future and try again!

good plan.. wait a year, then move it to Cali and skip all the baloney, I hope
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: CA DMV Help! 1987 Syncro Doka Reply with quote

jimstuart2 wrote:
I found Executive Orders on the CARB web site certifying for emissions two different 1.6 VW Turbo diesel motors in 1987.
1.) Engine code JP and model: Golf/ Jetta (Executive Order:A-7-111)
2.) Engine code: MF and model: Jetta ( Executive Order: A-7-114)

Does anyone know what the differences are between these and the JX which I understand was never sold in the U.S. market?

JX = 1.6L turbo diesel (68bhp), solid/mechanical
JP = 1.6L diesel (54bhp)
MF = 1.6L turbo diesel (68bhp), hydro

It would appear that the JX and MF are the same except for their lifter types.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_discontinued_Volkswagen_Group_diesel_engines
http://vwt3.com/t3-tech/t3-data/engine-data/engine-data-t3-1-6l-td-jx/
http://www.doppel-wobber.de/forum/Information_90_VW-Golf-Motoren.html
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimstuart2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: CA DMV Help! 1987 Syncro Doka Reply with quote

Thank you for that kamzicab86!
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: CA DMV Help! 1987 Syncro Doka Reply with quote

The JX has various differences to the MF. While they are closely related they are not the same. For example you can't bolt simply an MF in to replace a JX as the MF turbo interferes with the left side engine mount.

Mark
jimstuart2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: CA DMV Help! 1987 Syncro Doka Reply with quote

Thank you crazyvanman. Does anyone think that emissions would be significantly different in these engines as compared to the JX?
raramuri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: CA DMV Help! 1987 Syncro Doka Reply with quote

I bought a Canadian spec and learned the ins and outs. PM me. It's twisty road to getting registered.
scmatthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: CA DMV Help! 1987 Syncro Doka Reply with quote

Help! I imported a 1991 DOKA SYNCRO 1.6L TD. I was under the impression that it was not that hard to register. I jumped through all of the hoops at the DMV and walked out with plates and registration. Last week I got a letter from DMV stating that I need a letter of emission compliance from VW. DMV told me that it is impossible to register without the letter and that it is not legal for me to drive the vehicle.
1. Is it possible to get a letter for this model of diesel?
2. Will registering it in another state and then bringing to CA work?

It seems like anything diesel after 1980 is not possible.

Any help would be appreciated.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: CA DMV Help! 1987 Syncro Doka Reply with quote

My understanding is that there were no emission standards to comply with in 1991 for a diesel, either Federal or California. Tier 1 standards weren't published until mid-1991, and didn't start being phased in until 1994. Double-check the paperwork from DMV, make sure they have the correct fuel type in their system.

It sounds like they're asking for unicorn poop, AKA something that doesn't exist. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: