Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

One piece windows
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
65Busstop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: One piece windows Reply with quote

I am working on a 68 Beetle putting a one piece window kit in it. The window regulator on the passenger side appears to be original a darker gray black metal. Window installed and works reasonably well. The drivers side had what appeared to be aftermarket regulator gold metal finish. When rolling window up and it neared the top the regulator stripped out. Bought another Empi regulator and it to stripped after several uses. Never worked smoothly. Is there a better regulator for these one window installations?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: One piece windows Reply with quote

I'm not aware of a quality made new window regulator. I think I'd search for a good used one here in the classified section. There's a lot of very honest sellers in there.

If you purchase a used one, I'd highly suggest taking the time to clean out the cable track of the decades of old dirt and grease with solvent. Get it squeaky clean then apply some new grease to cable and it's track. It will work so much better and last a lot longer. Spraying silicone inside the window guides also reduces the pressure on the regulator to raise and lower the window.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: One piece windows Reply with quote

I was told to use the pretzil shaped one that has 2 lift points.... also the one peice windows are a bitch.... and hard to get to work right...and...hot in the summer when there isant a wing to draw air in/out...and..finding the fely channell long enough and getting it straight and...... I wish my bug didnt have them. someday Ill go back. gotta find all the stuff to do it. it's a shame I gave away a totaly compleate bug a few yearss ago....should of got a few things off first.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: One piece windows Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I was told to use the pretzil shaped one that has 2 lift points.... also the one peice windows are a bitch.... and hard to get to work right...and...hot in the summer when there isant a wing to draw air in/out...and..finding the fely channell long enough and getting it straight and...... I wish my bug didnt have them. someday Ill go back. gotta find all the stuff to do it. it's a shame I gave away a totaly compleate bug a few yearss ago....should of got a few things off first.

That sentiment of wishing they hadn't done it I've heard a thousand times. Add me to the list I've had cars with that but I like having the wing window better.
Tom Butler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: One piece windows Reply with quote

I like to call them "smoker windows"
Cool

Proud Member Pata De Perro Vw Club

iowegian wrote:
Instead of converting your car to a different color, why not just buy one that is a color you like?
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: One piece windows Reply with quote

I converted one over before I knew any better and converted one back after I did.
Mark Tucker says the 2 mount point regulators are best and that is correct. You need to find a drivers side 68-70? regulator. look in the classifieds here.
the 1 point regulators, 72ish, will work, but I would try to find good used, again in the classifieds here.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: One piece windows Reply with quote

Had dealt with 1 piece windows a number of times. Only buy original two point lift regulators. Aftermarket ones are crap. Ask Jbugs how many I sent back! They were sick of me!

Take your time and clean all of the old grease and grime out of the channels. Pack in new grease and operate, unloaded several times.

Install into car, set window, then adjust so that window closes completely and seals completely. You my need to fabricate an extension piece where the window bolts to the regulator on the front bar.

Run it up and down several times to make sure it works. Makes any adjustments and close up!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: One piece windows Reply with quote

Do like Bill and Jimbo says . . .
Get an OEM VW regulator . . . '68 or '69 . . . be sure that they are not bent or rusty and clean/re-grease before installing.

On the NEXT set of one-piece windows that I install, I will be using these . . . https://www.ballsrodandkustom.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=100
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: One piece windows Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
Get an OEM VW regulator . . . '68 or '69 . . . be sure that they are not bent or rusty and clean/re-grease before installing.

On the NEXT set of one-piece windows that I install, I will be using these .

I spent a few days trying to find a power window kit for my past bug's one piece windows. That kit looks great! Did not know those were out there.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: One piece windows Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
57BLITZ wrote:

On the NEXT set of one-piece windows that I install, I will be using these .

I spent a few days trying to find a power window kit for my past bug's one piece windows. That kit looks great! Did not know those were out there.

I think that there will be an advantage realized with them over using the stock VW regulators because the windows will travel vertically . . . stock regulators travel at an angle and because of that, the window moves OUT of the channel . . . then the glass can rattle!
65Busstop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: One piece windows Reply with quote

Anyone have experience with this brand? Says won't strip easy use.
http://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/product/door-window-regulator-lh-fits-to-chassis-118701827_313341
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: One piece windows Reply with quote

65Busstop wrote:
Anyone have experience with this brand? Says won't strip easy use.
http://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/product/door-window-regulator-lh-fits-to-chassis-118701827_313341

Caveat emptor!!!!!
Your first clue that you cannot believe everything you read from certain parts suppliers . . .
'65-'67 window handles are not the same as '68 . . . and the spline shaft on the regulator is is the way to differentiate between the years!
'65-'67 regulator shaft = long w/groove for handle retaining pin.
'68 regulator shaft = short w/threaded hole for screw.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: