Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SOLVED -- Stranded, 86 2WD manual with Subie won't start
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: SOLVED -- Stranded, 86 2WD manual with Subie won't start Reply with quote

I'm at the beach in Rhode Island and out of blue the van won't start. Two guys tried to jump start the battery but that goes not seen to be the issue. When I put the key in the ignition and turn it it makes a slight clicking sound, very faint. Alternator belt is fine. The clucking is louder in the back, by the alternator but not super loud.

Could it be the ignition?

The Vanaru kit/engine I have was installed last summer along with a new clutch and rebuilt transmission.

I can't really search The Samba because I don't have good cell coverage here.

To make matters worse, a bee just stung my hand (I'm not allergic though).

Murphy's Law all around.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662374

Last edited by figborg on Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded, 86 2WD manual with Subie won't start Reply with quote

Do you have a hot start relay/solenoid installed (classic vw weakness)? Will it jump start ( weak battery)? Assuming yes and no, switch is a good thought. I always carry a spare ignition switch because I've had several fail like this.
'09 Subaru Outback XT 5-speed, 245 hp rocket (wife's car)
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded, 86 2WD manual with Subie won't start Reply with quote

connorsvw2 wrote:
Do you have a hot start relay/solenoid installed (classic vw weakness)? Will it jump start ( weak battery)? Assuming yes and no, switch is a good thought. I always carry a spare ignition switch because I've had several fail like this.

I bet it's the switch but I don't have a spare one with me... any solution around this?
As to a weak battery, it wouldn't jump start with jumper cables.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded, 86 2WD manual with Subie won't start Reply with quote

Did you remove & reconnect the wires that go to the starter?

Be sure to disconnect the battery first
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded, 86 2WD manual with Subie won't start Reply with quote

You did mention the failed jump start-my bad. I don't know how to bypass the switch with jumper wire(s)-perhaps someone can chime in. You would need to immediately disconnect the starter jumper wire to prevent it from remaining engaged when the motor starts. You might consider really jiggling the switch repeatedly and hope something makes contact enough to start. I don't recommend trying to jump across the starter solenoid while you are under the car for obvious reasons Shocked
'09 Subaru Outback XT 5-speed, 245 hp rocket (wife's car)
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded, 86 2WD manual with Subie won't start Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
Did you remove & reconnect the wires that go to the starter?

Be sure to disconnect the battery first

Did not. AAA is coming but I can try that home.
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: SOLVED -- Stranded, 86 2WD manual with Subie won't start Reply with quote

Well, AAA came and it seems like it was the battery after all. We got a proper jump start and we are on the road again. Will install a new battery this week, easy enough.
Met some cool people surfing the José hurricane waves in RI. Not a bad day in all.
I did go to GoWesty's site while I waited and bought a couple of ignition switches to be on the safe side in the future.
Cheers you all,
P.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: SOLVED -- Stranded, 86 2WD manual with Subie won't start Reply with quote

He he good to hear. Once tou got new battery make sure you are getting a charge on it. With van running you should be at 14.2-14.5v
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: