Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EJ20 Leaking Coolant at a possible bolt not sure. New Engine
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xclemjustinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: EJ20 Leaking Coolant at a possible bolt not sure. New Engine Reply with quote

I just had a ej20 Engine installed and runs great except this morning I smelled my coolant hitting the exhaust. I went and looked at the Engine and noticed their was a leak. It look looked like it was coming from one of the bolts near the “16 valve “ side. I took some pics for reference. I know it could be a number of things but maybe you guys have some tips you can tell me. I appreciate your help. Thanks.
xclemjustinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Ej20 Leaking Coolant at a possible bolt not sure. New Engine Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ej20 Leaking Coolant at a possible bolt not sure. New Engine Reply with quote

Are you sure it's not leaking above that bolt at the coolant hose connections?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Ej20 Leaking Coolant at a possible bolt not sure. New Engine Reply with quote

^^
Agree
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ej20 Leaking Coolant at a possible bolt not sure. New Engine Reply with quote

If not leaking from the coolant hose connections,those bolts sure look like headbolts. Is the valve cover design different from the 2.5L SOHC and the headbolts are exterior to the valve cover? I can't find a pic. If it is leaking at a headbolt,then maybe it can be re-torqued,otherwise your headgasket may be shot. Take it back to the installer if that's the case.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ej20 Leaking Coolant at a possible bolt not sure. New Engine Reply with quote

If head bolts would he be overheating? Coolant in the oil? Seems strange on new engine. Could be head gasket
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ej20 Leaking Coolant at a possible bolt not sure. New Engine Reply with quote

That's a phase one engine, one of the best engine Subaru ever made.
I'd look at either the heater hoses, which are located just above that area, the throttle coolant hoses, or the water cross over pipe o rings.
chompy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ej20 Leaking Coolant at a possible bolt not sure. New Engine Reply with quote

Its odd for coolant to be there and it shouldnt be coming from the head bolt... like everyone else says it should be coming from above. Most likely a clamp is a bit loose.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Ej20 Leaking Coolant at a possible bolt not sure. New Engine Reply with quote

From the valve cover? Lets see some pics from above so we can view the suspected plumbing parts. Im a sucker for pics of the subaru in a vw van of any type. plus I think the wizards here will have a little more for u to contemplate in terms of the source of your frustrations. Is that a JDM? I See they sell a lot of ej20 on line.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ej20 Leaking Coolant at a possible bolt not sure. New Engine Reply with quote

This look like a EJ 2.2L?

As opposed to the stock engine where the head stud need to be sealed it's not the case with a Subaru.

Leak is not coming from that stud.

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ej20 Leaking Coolant at a possible bolt not sure. New Engine Reply with quote

^^^agree looks like valve cover of ej 22^^^ would ej 2 have smooth covers?
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Ej20 Leaking Coolant at a possible bolt not sure. New Engine Reply with quote

Hey glad to see Bens commenting again. I've been watching your YouTube videos. Good stuff u have there.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
xclemjustinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ej20 Leaking Coolant at a possible bolt not sure. New Engine Reply with quote

I attached 3 pictures. You can see from the picture with the 2 blue arrows, that is where the leak is coming from.

chompy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ej20 Leaking Coolant at a possible bolt not sure. New Engine Reply with quote

Yes its an ej22 and i don't think you can put ej22 heads on an ej20 block so its not a frankenmotor.

Coolant doesn't flow through or near the valve covers so it seems impossible for it to be coming from there. Your heads could be leaking at the block side if they werent torqued down correctly or were warped. Theres the slight chance its leaking through the head gasket into the head bolts and is dripping out from both sides. Did someone do the head gaskets before you got this engine?
xclemjustinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ej20 Leaking Coolant at a possible bolt not sure. New Engine Reply with quote

Yes. It’s a brand new engine. Sorry. Ej22. Still learning about the Engine.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: EJ20 Leaking Coolant at a possible bolt not sure. New Engine Reply with quote

So rebuilt. If you can't find source of leak from above, I would think that you have headgasket issues. If you had someone build it for you then you should contact them. If you did the rebuild then you could start by re-torqueing. If leak contines you need to take out the heads. I think you could do it with engine in car. There are manuals you can find online. I think the gasket goes on dry.
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: EJ20 Leaking Coolant at a possible bolt not sure. New Engine Reply with quote

Mmmmm..... I have seen all stuff over the years with Subaru head gasket but never an external coolant leak. Oil leak yes and plenty by the return oil passage. I even saw warped head due to overheating and they leak internally flooding the engine in some case.

So now it's easy to find that leak, buy some break cleaner and shoot the heck out of this area. Start engine look and wait.

The 2.2L and the 2,5L have about the same short block design:

If you look at that corner, the one your showing there is no real coolant passage but an oil return one.

So if it's really coming close to that bolt... you may have a small crack

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: EJ20 Leaking Coolant at a possible bolt not sure. New Engine Reply with quote

Hard to tell from the pic, but the headgasket on this 'new' engine does not look new along the edge.
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ej20 Leaking Coolant at a possible bolt not sure. New Engine Reply with quote

chompy wrote:
Yes its an ej22 and i don't think you can put ej22 heads on an ej20 block so its not a frankenmotor.

All EJ series heads are interchangeable; 1993 EJ18 NA heads will fit on a 2017 EJ turbo block.

And if that's a rebuilt engine, I'd be reviewing the invoice & contacting the builder on how to rectify said leak.
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: EJ20 Leaking Coolant at a possible bolt not sure. New Engine Reply with quote

wesitarz wrote:
Hard to tell from the pic, but the headgasket on this 'new' engine does not look new along the edge.

Exactly my thinking.
This engine takes the old school, non MLS headgaskets, and since the head bolts are exposed, I'd check the torque on the bolts.
IIRC, the final torque on the 2 center bolts is about 70-80ftlbs, outer bolts a tad less.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: