Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1991 Multivan TDI build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

thanks for funding further research Smile
I hope you will add your experience and impressions once your SPOT Trace has some use.

btw, I do not get royalties, but, Im open to them.. LOL (my kids say I should start a blog so I can get free samples.. hmmm)
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

We just took our van off island for another weekend adventure. We were lucky enough to get a ferry reservation to and from the mainland which isn't easy to do in mid august. We drove up to a wedding on the north shore of Massachusetts in Gloucester. It was a beautiful drive and the van performed wonderfully. I was able to really test out the new SPOT trace. It's a pretty neat device.

A screen shot of part of our track.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

While parked near the head of Gloucester harbor, visiting a friend before the wedding, we came back to our van with this note stuck under the windshield wiper. From afar, I thought we got a parking ticket. It ended up being a note from a fellow Vanagon enthusiast who looked out their window, saw our van and just wanted to talk Vanagon for a bit. The people ended up being a really nice couple who had just bought an 87 tintop and were possibly considering a conversion. I of course directed them to the FAS website. They both greatly appreciated all of the work that went into the van so far.

All in all it was a good trip. My wife and I camped out in the van and both slept very well, though awaking early to the sounds of squawking gulls and foghorns from our campsite at a friends house in Beverly farms.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Finally got to test out the eberspacher this morning. Hard to believe that I'd need it on September 2nd but it is pretty crisp out here. I parked the van by one of my favorite beaches, watched the sunrise, and had a relaxing morning while watching the news, drank a cup of tea, (coffee turns me in to real jackass) all in the warmth of the van with the thermostat set to 70 degrees. I had the iPad hooked up to the stereo and listened to the tv in surround sound. A poor mans waterfront property. Sounds a little crazy but these fleeting moments of serenity are greatly appreciated especially after a long week at work.

The van has been running great. I just took it in for its first, well I guess third oil change if you count the first couple of changes up at FAS. I also had them install a new speedometer with correction for gearing and tire size. My original speedometer worked though the odometer and tripometer were both broken.

While at my local mechanics for the work stated above, they found some oil in the coolant. My heart nearly sank as visions of failed head gaskets and cracked blocks swirled through my head. My fears were quickly assuaged as both my local mechanic and FAS suspected a failure of the oil cooler. FAS said that they encountered maybe two out of 1000 conversions with a failed oil cooler. Unfortunately it is just one of those things that happens. FAS uses the absolute best cooler that they can get their hands on and this one just failed internally.

I have to say that FAS was awesome in how they dealt with the issue. They offered up lots of support and concern and were great in communicating with my local mechanic Matt. They are taking care of the invoice without hesitation. Long story short, the new oil cooler was installed and the coolant is free of any traces of oil. Crisis averted and thankful that I went with such an honorable company.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Well thanks to a string of tropical systems in the Atlantic, the waves have been pumping. We've had weeks of swell and I've been able to use our van as I always intended. Boards loaded on top, early mornings with the eberspacher set to 70 degrees while getting into my wetsuit with tunes going. It's been such a great base while on local surfari. I have everything I need and it's a great thing to come back to after a long session and a great way to shake the chill. I've had the endless supply of cold beers in the arb and me and my mates have been doing some serious hanging at the beach. While we've been having the endless summer up here in the northeast, my thoughts go out to all the people in the carribean and Florida who saw a much darker side of these hurricanes. My buddy just got back from St John and said it looked like a nuclear explosion went off. Total devastation. We are sending our thoughts and prayers to everyone affected by these storms.

flyboyaviator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Hi! Multivan, congrats on your very beautiful van, and with the diesel upgrade is now a super beautiful Westfalia.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Living the Dream!

So glad the van is working in every way
thanks for the photos Smile

here is a post by another Vanagonaut Surfer and samba member, "just" down the coast from you (1000 miles or so)
dixoncj wrote:
http://thescuttlefish.com/2014/11/the-surfmobile-d...-camper-2/

that link has a nice bunch of photos of beach vans too
snwbrdr435
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Multiman mv wrote:
Well thanks to a string of tropical systems in the Atlantic, the waves have been pumping. We've had weeks of swell and I've been able to use our van as I always intended. Boards loaded on top, early mornings with the eberspacher set to 70 degrees while getting into my wetsuit with tunes going. It's been such a great base while on local surfari. I have everything I need and it's a great thing to come back to after a long session and a great way to shake the chill. I've had the endless supply of cold beers in the arb and me and my mates have been doing some serious hanging at the beach. While we've been having the endless summer up here in the northeast, my thoughts go out to all the people in the carribean and Florida who saw a much darker side of these hurricanes. My buddy just got back from St John and said it looked like a nuclear explosion went off. Total devastation. We are sending our thoughts and prayers to everyone affected by these storms.

Its been all time for surf lately. I learned to surf at that break!
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

snwbrdr435 wrote:

Its been all time for surf lately. I learned to surf at that break!

Yah it's a pretty special spot. It might not be one of the most consistent places on earth but when it fires its as good as any other spot. This wave is 1/2 mile from my house and it's one of the reasons I moved to this spot. Hope you've been able to get some waves recently!
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

[quote="Jon_slider"]Living the Dream!

So glad the van is working in every way
thanks for the photos Smile

here is a post by another Vanagonaut Surfer and samba member, "just" down the coast from you (1000 miles or so)

Thanks. We've been having a blast with the van both on island and off. I love the baby blue high top. Thanks for the link!
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

flyboyaviator wrote:
Hi! Multivan, congrats on your very beautiful van, and with the diesel upgrade is now a super beautiful Westfalia.

Thank you very much! I hope hurricane Irma didn't destroy your area of south Florida. Our thoughts and prayers are definitely with all the people who were affected by that storm. We have donated to the relief fund and hope that others can do the same. We were not able to contribute much but a little help by a lot of people can make a big difference.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Back in the day. 5cyl Tdi Syncro Westy.
My MultiPurposeSurfVan

Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
Back in the day. 5cyl Tdi Syncro Westy.
My MultiPurposeSurfVan

Right on! I love it. You guys really have the life out on the left coast. I've spent a bunch of time in SC and I can't believe how consistent that place is for waves. Good thing I never went to college there or I wouldn't have made it through one semester. Love the van and the board!

I'm up early again, waiting for first light in the van with another week of swell ahead!
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Our first night in vershire Vermont at a friends farm. Spent the night camping out with the kids and woke up to a beautiful scene. It was on two previous trips to Vermont that I decided on an engine conversion. Some of the long inclines that humbled the old waterboxer to 40 mph in the breakdown lane were no match for the tdi. These trips up north used to be riddled with anxious moments, often wondering if the surging or bucking van would make it the entire way. The drive up this time was a wonderful experience because of the tdi.

Farfromslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

We just saw your van at the gondolas, looks nice in person. Makes me wish we had our orly van here this weekend, have fun.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Farfromslow wrote:
We just saw your van at the gondolas, looks nice in person. Makes me wish we had our orly van here this weekend, have fun.

No way! Small world. We just drove up through the notch to Stowe for a beautiful afternoon. We took the kids on their first gondola ride up to the top of mt Mansfield. We would have loved to have bumped into another Westy owner. We saw several vanagons pulled off on the side of the road as we drove up and over the notch.

3 different vanagons while driving over the notch and we saw another nice one in Stowe. Though maybe not peak, the foliage was pretty spectacular.

Last edited by Multiman mv on Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Farfromslow wrote:

I saw your post last week. Any luck with your van? Hoping you figured out what was going on.
Farfromslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

My kids first ride in a gondola too, there have been a lot of vans up here this weekend. My post the other day was just offering some help to someone stuck on the cape, I own a shop in Brewster, we do a ton of vanagon work. Our westy is happily running perfect. I would love to check out the FAS conversion in person sometime if your down out way
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Farfromslow wrote:
My kids first ride in a gondola too, there have been a lot of vans up here this weekend. My post the other day was just offering some help to someone stuck on the cape, I own a shop in Brewster, we do a ton of vanagon work. Our westy is happily running perfect. I would love to check out the FAS conversion in person sometime if your down out way

Oh good to know that wasn't you "stuck on the cape." Also good to know that you work on Vanagons as we are on the cape quite often.

Hope you guys had a fun weekend up in Vermont. Such a nice afternoon yesterday. October 8th and 80 degrees!
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

A little update on the original oil cooler failure. Over the past month I noticed a very small amount of residual oil accumulating in the coolant reservoir. Because of the residual oil, I just did a partial bleed of the cooling system, mainly at the radiator and drained and cleaned the coolant reservoir. We were able to raise the tail end of the van up a bit to get a little more coolant to come out of the bleeder valve up front. This partial coolant flush seems have eliminated all traces of oil in the system.

The van continues to run like a dream and we are enjoying it on a daily basis and especially for weekend road trips. We have another short trip planned for next weekend and the kids are looking forward to sleeping in the van again.
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Multiman mv wrote:

I think we need a dedicated "vanagon surfer" thread. Those waves look soon good!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 50

Jump to: