Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Thank you!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

http://www.google.com/shopping/product/17370907408...fgod22oDqA idk how far u need to move things but I've heard of putting turnbuckle,eye & eye,aluminum,1/4-20 in into the cross brace you weld from pillar to pillar.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

I think I've got it pretty settled, I got the door to close and the gap looks fine, but I might try the turnbuckle.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Just read through your build and I gotta say I admire your tenacity. Keep it up!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Joseph DR wrote:
Just read through your build and I gotta say I admire your tenacity. Keep it up!

Thanks! There will be real progress soon as school gets out in a week and a half.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Looking at the car today... there's so much rust and messed up panels , I'm about to buy a super beetle and call it quits...
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Keeponbuggin64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

that's all good it's not always our plan to get new projects and drop the old ones but it happens, i found a better one that i'm trying to get up to my shop and then i can start a forum on it
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Keeponbuggin64 wrote:
that's all good it's not always our plan to get new projects and drop the old ones but it happens, i found a better one that i'm trying to get up to my shop and then i can start a forum on it

Yeah, I feel this thing is too much for me, but it kind of sucks getting rid of it if thats what I do. It was a gift and I really love it and I was hoping to use it as my first car and the color combo is great. I did find a basically rust free '72 that just needs pans welded in so I may get that instead. I don't know though... I'll have to see.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Keeponbuggin64 wrote:

Yeah, I feel this thing is too much for me, but it kind of sucks getting rid of it if thats what I do. It was a gift and I really love it and I was hoping to use it as my first car and the color combo is great. I did find a basically rust free '72 that just needs pans welded in so I may get that instead. I don't know though... I'll have to see.

Get the 72 and get it on the road to have something to drive. It will motivate you to work on the 67. You can go slow on the 67 project and take your time and still drive an ACVW at the same time. 10 years from now when the 67 is done and driving you will be glad you kept it versus 10 years from now telling everyone you wished you kept it.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

That sounds like what I plan on doing...
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

My step-dad and dad said I should sell the '67 to buy the '72... I don't think Mom wants 2 beetles in the yard... I guess that makes me "72ctbug" Laughing
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

I didn't buy the '72. I've been thinking about the '67... Floors, channels, firewall, fender bolt holes, washer bottle mount, and front apron. That seems like a ton, but it really isn't all that much compared to other restos... *cough* 1947 beetle restoration *cough*. I made a little schematic of the problems on the bug today....

As you can see its got a fair amount of problems, but honestly if I put a ton of work into it this fall and winter and forget about a bus for a while I bet I could have it at the CTVWA spring dust off 2018. I calculated about $310 for the metal I need... Add the hours of labor and my anger and I'll have a running bug.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

67ct, your parents speak from experience and life wisdom to pursue the much less rusty '72 and not the '67. I realize you have plenty of youthful optimism to want to stay with the '67. I suggest sticking with the '67, learning how to use a spot weld driller, learning panel fitment and trimming, then seeing your welding work through to completion. That is the key- making the decision then sticking with it to end up with a solid, driveable Beetle. You can paint it on the cheap like EA812 did to his '66 to also create a baseline experience. I'm sure that for future Beetles in your life you will look back at all the time you spent to remedy the '67's rust, and thereby avoid spending all that time again to revive one in such rusted shape.

Am looking forward to updates on your '67.

What's shown as "broken" with the engine in your sketch?
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Ah yes the engine.... Well it was running good for a while, but then it sat. Now it gets a little stuck every now and then and hasn't run in a year. I think I'm gonna pull it anyway and do an overhaul to it.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

And so it begins...

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67Vw2387
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

67Vw2387 wrote:
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laughing
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Should I replace the whole thing or patch it?

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Started to patch the apron!

I think using an extension cord with my welder is messing with it.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

I was going to vote for patch it but it looks like you already went that route. Cool

Anyway, a good trick to use when welding thin sheetmetal that you have access to the back of is to hold an aluminum or copper block tightly behind where you're welding to act as a backer and heat sink, it helps prevent blowing holes through the metal as you're welding.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 25

Jump to: