Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 truck, with a twist.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Is Grandpa still around?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Erik G-- All the more reason to buy! Was just reading the add and he hasn't test fit on a type 3 yet it looks like. Not sure ill be able to get it as low as I want without hitting something
dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Is Grandpa still around?
Thanks for the comment on the car! I love the way it looks. No, he passed away earlier this year. Before anyone says sorry tho, I didn't really know him that well. He wasn't much of a grandfather honestly. But everyone agreed that the car should stay in the family and I was the only one who had interest in taking it on. With that being said, the man was insanely talented. What he lacked in people skills he more than made up for with his talent in body work. It kinda runs in the family as my uncle built a custom jeep that's wider than an H1 hummer that was a magazine feature way back in the day but he lives in Oregon. My dad is retired and rides and builds mountain bikes, my twin brother just picked up a 74 super beetle that's a hell of a hot rod, my other uncle that lives down here in Ca had no interest really. I on the other hand was all smiles to take the car on. Ive always loved it.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

dannyX24 wrote:
notchboy wrote:
Is Grandpa still around?
Thanks for the comment on the car! I love the way it looks. No, he passed away earlier this year. Before anyone says sorry tho, I didn't really know him that well. He wasn't much of a grandfather honestly. But everyone agreed that the car should stay in the family and I was the only one who had interest in taking it on. With that being said, the man was insanely talented. What he lacked in people skills he more than made up for with his talent in body work. It kinda runs in the family as my uncle built a custom jeep that's wider than an H1 hummer that was a magazine feature way back in the day but he lives in Oregon. My dad is retired and rides and builds mountain bikes, my twin brother just picked up a 74 super beetle that's a hell of a hot rod, my other uncle that lives down here in Ca had no interest really. I on the other hand was all smiles to take the car on. Ive always loved it.

I dont think that endearing qualities in ones relatives should be the driver for any project, but they help. More so as it was done by a family member and finished by another. Most times its a memory based oooh I loved it back when........kind of moment.

I think its just a neat build that wasn't finished and now will. Oh that your G-Pa just happened to start Wink

Good on you.

Popcorn

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fattie
I'd roll it

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

I'd Roll It
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

It's definitely different. I do agree with others on here that it should have a Ghia front bumper or at a minimum an early type 3 bumper. Hell, I'd swap out the rear fenders for earlies, and use a type 3 bumper on the rear as well. It looks well done though. I agree that the bottom half of the front fenders were used at the bottom. The aluminum diamond plate inside looks good too. Very Happy
Very nice, and should be a fun project. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Take the bumper off & take another picture of the front to get rid of our only negative image on the truck! Wink

www.masterseriesct.com silver and black brushed on the chassis & innerfenders is easy & looks good.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
The aluminum diamond plate inside looks good too. Cool

I have diamond plate that's cut to fit the bed floor and the tail gate🤓
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Take the bumper off & take another picture of the front to get rid of our only negative image on the truck! Wink

www.masterseriesct.com silver and black brushed on the chassis & innerfenders is easy & looks good.

Here you go!! Thanks for the tip!

Here's the motor and trans from the parts car and some of the parts I have. Got some hub caps, beauty rings, several windows from a square, some rubber, wiring, and what looks like heater stuff and smog stuff. The yellow motor is a brand new never run motor, my dad is pretty sure he remembers his dad saying it's an 1835, the blue motor came off the back off a Manx clone at grandpa's house but not sure what it is or the condition of the internals but I'm sure it needs to be gone thru. It sat outside for a long time. My body guy won't be able to get to the car until early next year so current plans are clean it up and maybe try to start some of the surface rust repair in the bed floor. Thinking about getting it running in the mean time but that may make it more difficult to get the body work done in January/February.

dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

I got some stuff from the buggy too. Neal pedal assembly and a Weber 40 dcnf! Also have the service booklet from the parts car, pretty neat to have some old paper work.

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

I sold a '67 w/4 speed transmission so I could buy my '69 with 3 speed automatic transmission. Idea
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
I sold a '67 w/4 speed transmission so I could buy my '69 with 3 speed automatic transmission. Idea

I've always had performance oriented cars so I'm a manual trans fan. I'm not expecting fireworks out of this car since drivetrain will be stock and it will be a cruiser but does it get up out of it's own way or does it feel gutless? I drove a 68 bug with a 4 speed for a few months back in the day and I remember it being painfully slow.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

My fresh 1600 FI/AT runs good. I don't 'race' but we keep up with traffic. Only 55 mph up steep hills in 2nd gear. YOU need a 1776cc+ if you want to 'race' up hills etc! 003 AT has a 3.88 high speed ring & pinion so it will do 90+ on the flats.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Like I said it's gonna be a cruiser/parts runner so won't be blasting around in it. I'd like to build a 4 speed car with a stroker to have fun in eventually.
mackaymanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Mmmm, I like this. A little lower maybe but not too much, still has to be usable( too many useless utes around already). Plus some nice wheels and bumper this should look sweet.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

dannyX24 wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

I've always had performance oriented cars so I'm a manual trans fan. I'm not expecting fireworks out of this car since drivetrain will be stock and it will be a cruiser but does it get up out of it's own way or does it feel gutless? I drove a 68 bug with a 4 speed for a few months back in the day and I remember it being painfully slow.

Try it, you'll like it!
Sqrbckguy38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

I'd be happy to trade a full setup of a four speed for that auto setup. I want an auto for my daughter's fastback. So if the notion ever strikes ya let me know.
Otherwise I still think this truck is going to be sick.
67 Beetle, Opal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Boogievan wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2015751

So these are my dream wheels but after searching around the forum it looks like they are too low of an offset (40) to run on the car without a narrowed beam. Seems like the majority say offset has to be 50-55 to fit. I have seen them on bugs but not a type 3. Ive seen 17s on type 3s before but a lot of them have narrowed t1 beams. Any one have any say otherwise? I want to lower the car a bit, not like pan scraping slammed low but lower than stock and if possible keep the stock beam.
dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Sqrbckguy38 wrote:
I'd be happy to trade a full setup of a four speed for that auto setup. I want an auto for my daughter's fastback. So if the notion ever strikes ya let me know.
Otherwise I still think this truck is going to be sick.

Much appreciated but from what ive read it seems like a helluva job, much more than I car to do lol. Seems like most people say sell the car and buy a stick if you want a stick that bad. Plus I don't plan on making this a hot rod, and I've heard a lot of good things about the auto trans so I think its gonna stay. Thanks for the offer tho! If I throw it together and hate it that much I will definitely get ahold of you and see if we can figure something out.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

I think you might be fine. I say this because:

TripWire posted pics of his Notch. I fell in love. These are 17x7 ET40 fuchs

I asked, he's a very nice dude. Says it's a stock beam, Russ from OldSpeed did drop spindles and the brakes.

I think it might work for you

TripWire wrote:

Thanks Erik!
The wheels are from California Imported Parts. I don't know if they are Empi or not. They come in a white generic box and do not have DOT casting marks on them (I believe the Empi wheels do).
As far as suspension mods, the rear is lowered the standard way. The front is the stock type 3 beam with the bottom bolt brackets re-located to get a little more ground clearance. Although you can get the car as low as it is by just re-adjusting the torsion arms your caster becomes an issue and your ball joints will take a major beating. I chose to go with Oldspeed welded type 3 dropped spindles to get the drop without getting the caster too far out of whack. The Oldspeed spindles are also welded so that they compensate for some of the caster issues. All of this makes a big difference in keeping the handling manageable. Oldspeed also provided the front cross drilled rotors re-drilled to 5@130. I also chose the Wilwood caliper upgrade.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Marchi posted pics of his fastback with them

marchi wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: