Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Van will not start unless I unplug the Air Flow Meter.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gbuckner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Van will not start unless I unplug the Air Flow Meter. Reply with quote

1990 Vanagon. Van will not start unless I unplug the Air Flow Meter. It will start right up and rev to 2,500 RPMs, as soon as I plug in the AFM it stalls. I replaced the AFM with a rebuilt one, no change! HELP!

Any suggestions on where I should start my diagnostics?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Van will not start unless I unplug the Air Flow Meter. Reply with quote

Welcome to the site!

Please tell us what you are driving. There were four different engines installed for USA sales over the years.

Thanks

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gbuckner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Van will not start unless I unplug the Air Flow Meter. Reply with quote

Sorry . . . The van I'm having trouble with is a 1990 Vanagon "Westy" 2.1 Automatic.
bizarre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Van will not start unless I unplug the Air Flow Meter. Reply with quote

Any damage to the plug or wiring?

Are you certain the "rebuilt" AFM works?

Has this van ever worked or is it a project you have acquired?
Gbuckner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Van will not start unless I unplug the Air Flow Meter. Reply with quote

Bizarre,

I checked the continuity from the AFM plug back to the Electronic Control Unit. All is good there.

I believe the rebuilt AFM is good. I did the continuity checks recommended by Bentley on the rebuilt AFM. It passed the test.

I've had the van for 17 years. It always needs a bit of work, but is has run consistently for those 17 years.

Thanks for your inquiry.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Van will not start unless I unplug the Air Flow Meter. Reply with quote

Gbuckner wrote:
1990 Vanagon. Van will not start unless I unplug the Air Flow Meter. It will start right up and rev to 2,500 RPMs, as soon as I plug in the AFM it stalls. ........

Vacuum leak?

edit: wasn't going to include this as I don't want you to chase the wrong thing or introduce more variables, but it's easy to disconnect the idle control module, block off the ICV hose and hole at intake boot, turn big screw on throttle body all the way in (seat it gently, count full turns) then turn it out about 2-3 full turns. The 2500 RPM thing seems odd. Any time I've inadvertently left the AFM unplugged, the engine runs like crap with a low idle.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Gbuckner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Van will not start unless I unplug the Air Flow Meter. Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Gbuckner wrote:
1990 Vanagon. Van will not start unless I unplug the Air Flow Meter. It will start right up and rev to 2,500 RPMs, as soon as I plug in the AFM it stalls. ........

Vacuum leak?

edit: wasn't going to include this as I don't want you to chase the wrong thing or introduce more variables, but it's easy to disconnect the idle control module, block off the ICV hose and hole at intake boot, turn big screw on throttle body all the way in (seat it gently, count full turns) then turn it out about 2-3 full turns. The 2500 RPM thing seems odd. Any time I've inadvertently left the AFM unplugged, the engine runs like crap with a low idle.

Neil.

Neil,

Is this a way to check for a vacuum leak?
The van's idle RPMs were running fine before this new problem.

If this is not a way to check for a vacuum leak, how do you check?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Van will not start unless I unplug the Air Flow Meter. Reply with quote

I'm sure helpful info regarding methods for checking are here in the forum already but were it me, I'd start with visually inspecting all hoses involved with the intake. e.g. the rubber elbow boot between the AFM and throttle body. Also, there is a small sort of "T" hose between the intake plenum and the idle control valve outlet. The small branch of that "T", where it connects to the hose, can crack open.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Phaedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Van will not start unless I unplug the Air Flow Meter. Reply with quote

Let's try to separate an electrical issue from intake. When you say "it doesn't start," does it try to fire, or just cranks endlessly? If it tries to fire and just can't catch hold, could be air. If it cranks but no fire, I'd be checking my case grounds. It'd have to be a pretty massive intake leak for the van to not want to start at all, not a little vac hose... When it starts without the AFM connected, does it hold idle at normal speed, or does it hang and stutter, wanting to die or rev?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Van will not start unless I unplug the Air Flow Meter. Reply with quote

Phaedrus wrote:
....When you say "it doesn't start," does it try to fire, or just cranks endlessly? If it tries to fire and just can't catch hold, could be air. .... When it starts without the AFM connected, does it hold idle at normal speed, or does it hang and stutter, wanting to die or rev?

Gbuckner wrote:
Van will not start unless I unplug the Air Flow Meter. It will start right up and rev to 2,500 RPMs, as soon as I plug in the AFM it stalls.

The OP indicates that his engine revs to 2500 RPM with AFM disconnected. Based upon what he wrote, it only starts if AFM disconnected. But yes, does it stay running?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Van will not start unless I unplug the Air Flow Meter. Reply with quote

I can attest to a 2.1’s ability to start and drive miles with the Air Flow meters plug dangling loose. Embarassed

It doesn't run well at all but you can go places.

Plug it back in an Zoom! The power returns!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gbuckner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Van will not start unless I unplug the Air Flow Meter. Reply with quote

Phaedrus wrote:
Let's try to separate an electrical issue from intake. When you say "it doesn't start," does it try to fire, or just cranks endlessly? If it tries to fire and just can't catch hold, could be air. If it cranks but no fire, I'd be checking my case grounds. It'd have to be a pretty massive intake leak for the van to not want to start at all, not a little vac hose... When it starts without the AFM connected, does it hold idle at normal speed, or does it hang and stutter, wanting to die or rev?

Phaedrus,

With the AFM plugged in it will fire and start for a split second, then dies.

With AFM unplugged it starts immediately, revs to 2,500 RPMs and stays running at 2,500 RPMs.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Van will not start unless I unplug the Air Flow Meter. Reply with quote

While I don't pretend to know the intricate ins and outs of the digifant system.
I cannot help but wonder if your injection harness is compromised or the ECU is defective.

I know the oxygen sensor has a default value system built into the ECU, when you unplug the sensor the ECU inserts a set value to replace the missing input.
I wonder if the Air Flow system does as well.
By replacing the Air Flow meter you've eliminated the fault lying in the meter vane system or air temperature sensor.

I would down load the Digifant manual and test the wiring as outlined in it.

To have problems suddenly appear after many years of good operation is frustrating.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Van will not start unless I unplug the Air Flow Meter. Reply with quote

My bet is on bad ecu.

Dave, you brought back memories.....
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
Nuthin2It Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Van will not start unless I unplug the Air Flow Meter. Reply with quote

What have you checked so far? Check the easy things first. Does each spark plug fire? You can tell a lot from the color and deposits on the plugs. Compare all four of them. Are the fuel injectors spraying fuel in a mist?

I have a 1.9 liter so it may not apply, but when I forgot to plug in the AFM the engine ran at high RPM also.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Van will not start unless I unplug the Air Flow Meter. Reply with quote

JudoJeff wrote:
My bet is on bad ecu.

Dave, you brought back memories.....

Yeah..... you were on the verge of tears weren't you??? Laughing Embarassed

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Van will not start unless I unplug the Air Flow Meter. Reply with quote

I had starting issues on my 83.5. My mechanic could not figure it out - after having the van for a month. He thought it was the ECU. Replaced it - no difference.

I thought it could be the timing - so I followed the instructions in the Bentley. Before I started, I tried to start the van - nothing. First step was to bypass the Idle Control Unit. I bypassed it, took the unit off, and heard things rattling inside. I tried to start the van - started right up! This is like 10 minutes after I tried to get the van to start. Turned it off, then back on - right up.

Hundreds of dollars spent on replacing older working parts (coil, fuel pump, injectors, etc) and it was a $30 part from Van Cafe. Here is some blown capacitors inside my unit. Here is a snapchat of the unit. the yellow ceramic capacitors were toasted.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Van will not start unless I unplug the Air Flow Meter. Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:

I thought it could be the timing - so I followed the instructions in the Bentley. Before I started, I tried to start the van - nothing. First step was to bypass the Idle Control Unit. I bypassed it, took the unit off, and heard things rattling inside. I tried to start the van - started right up! This is like 10 minutes after I tried to get the van to start. Turned it off, then back on - right up.

Though designed differently, with Digijet or Digifant, if the idle control system is properly disabled-bypassed, the engine should run ok. PS/AC loads notwithstanding, idle may need to be adjusted.

Looking at 1990 wiring diagram in Bentley, ICU 8/LS red/blue wire connects to ECU 11. A second wire from ECU 11 runs to the throttle switch. The other side of that switch connects to 94 ground junction in harness. In part, this junction supplies a ground to AFM pin 4. IF the ICU, an involved component or wire(s) was faulty, would that cause the idle control valve to work incorrectly? e.g. connecting the AFM would incorrectly cause the valve to allow too little air through? DISconnected the AFM would incorrectly cause the valve to allow too much air into the intake plenum?

Neil.

edited for clarity.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Gbuckner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Van will not start unless I unplug the Air Flow Meter. Reply with quote

Okay. Based on the advice thus far my strategy for this weekend will be:
1) as per Neil (Vanagon Nut) check all hoses involved with the intake.
2) as per Shagginwagon83 inspect the Idle Control Unit (ICU). Any advice on how to check the ICU?

Further, I am very interested in Neil's (Vanagon Nut) musings (see below) on the wiring between the ICU, ECU and the AFM. Neil if you could explain how I might check your theory I would be eternally grateful.

" . . ICU 8/LS red/blue wire connects to ECU 11. A second wire from ECU 11 runs to the throttle switch. The other side of that switch connects to 94 ground junction in harness. In part, this junction supplies a ground to AFM pin 4. IF the ICU, an involved component or wire(s) was faulty, would that cause the idle control valve to work incorrectly? e.g. connecting the AFM would incorrectly cause the valve to allow too little air through? DISconnected the AFM would incorrectly cause the valve to allow too much air into the intake plenum?"
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Van will not start unless I unplug the Air Flow Meter. Reply with quote

Gbuckner wrote:

2) as per Shagginwagon83 inspect the Idle Control Unit (ICU). Any advice on how to check the ICU?

Further, I am very interested in Neil's (Vanagon Nut) musings (see below) on the wiring between the ICU, ECU and the AFM. Neil if you could explain how I might check your theory I would be eternally grateful.

" . . ICU 8/LS red/blue wire connects to ECU 11. A second wire from ECU 11 runs to the throttle switch. The other side of that switch connects to 94 ground junction in harness. In part, this junction supplies a ground to AFM pin 4. IF the ICU, an involved component or wire(s) was faulty, would that cause the idle control valve to work incorrectly? e.g. connecting the AFM would incorrectly cause the valve to allow too little air through? DISconnected the AFM would incorrectly cause the valve to allow too much air into the intake plenum?"

Vanagon Nut wrote:

edit: ....... it's easy to disconnect the idle control module, block off the ICV hose and hole at intake boot, turn big screw on throttle body all the way in (seat it gently, count full turns) then turn it out about 2-3 full turns.

Once vacuum leaks are ruled out, disconnect the ICU and plug off those holes, adjust idle screw accordingly. (you'd likely need to back it out from where it was when van ran ok) See what happens with AFM connected or disconnected. If no change, then I'd think that the issue doesn't lay at the idle control valve.

As for checking out any wiring issues, it's taking me too long to study the diagrams and transfer what I *think* one could do (continuity checks between ECU connector and various other points in harnesses). I don't mean that negatively and I'm not dodging doing the work. Wink Just want to wait till you do the vacuum checks then see how it runs with the IC system disconnected etc.

In terms of checking the ICU itself, if you search ICU here, you will find way more information than I can provide (e.g. I recall a thread about transistor replacement replete with part numbers) but would suggest that if somethings wrong with it, it will typically show up on a visual inspection. Like shaggin shows. Look for obvious burned or broken components, etc. The connections at that ICU can get corroded too. And, given its location, it wouldn't be far fetched for moisture to get inside the ICU itself.

There's been a lot written here by folks more knowledgable than me. Not saying you haven't but if you search around here, you can pick up a lot of good information.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: