Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thinking about flake
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Humdinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Thinking about flake Reply with quote

Got my buggy running last year and in a rush to drive it I just did a quick plastidip job over primer. Now that it's running and has been upgraded to efi since I'm thinking about pulling the body, finishing some minor body work, and flaking it. The car was originally green and is now pearl green plastidip so I was really thinking about sticking with that but I found a blue and a couple of reds that were really speaking to me! What would you choose if it was your buggy?
Holographic blue, holo green, holo red, or plain red flake? It will be flaked dry so full coverage and the flake is .008.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Humdinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking about flake Reply with quote

Current buggy pic

Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking about flake Reply with quote

I'm partial to red. That Rumrunner looks awesome.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
aluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking about flake Reply with quote

I'm usually a fan of green but, that blue would look awesome. Is that sprayed over a base color or mixed with? With the right base color...
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking about flake Reply with quote

Some kind of sic individual would try to use them all.
Humdinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking about flake Reply with quote

Aluk flake can be laid wet or dry. You have your base color coat... from there you can lay it wet by mixing it in the clear and then using only clear over that to cover it, or you can lay it dry by spraying a coat of clear and then blowing the flake into the clear with a flake gun and then clearing over that. Dry flaking results in a full coverage heavy flake/bass boat look.

I originally had my mind set on the holo green until I found that website and started looking at other colors and then I was like Shocked i want that one and that one and that one!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking about flake Reply with quote

My personal feeling is the blue is nice but lots of nice cars are blue. If you want to hide it in the parking lot - go blue.

I am very partial to red myself. Red says "Fast and sporty." to me. Yup red is a good choice.

Now that green is pretty special! That is a "Dare to be different, stand out in a crowd" color! Everyone is going to remember that one long after the blues and reds have faded from their memory. Yup green will put you on the map at a Buggy meet - unless of course... someone shows up with a PURPLE metal flake Buggy... and upstages you!

Very Happy Very Happy
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking about flake Reply with quote

Theres an orange buggy somewhere on the site with orange color with cold flake, I really liked that combo.

I think a green flake would look good too.
Bluggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking about flake Reply with quote

I was thinking of painting my buggy with more regular metallic flakes but never saw this before..you have me thinking now.

The red looks awesome but I think I will go blue, Electric Blue but he is out of it, Tiki Bar second.

Thanks.

Last edited by Bluggy on Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bluggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking about flake Reply with quote

Humdinger I dont mean to hijack your thread. I went on the website for info and
decided to look up About US...the business is for a great cause. That content moved me, as a Dad most will feel that.

You could about read it here, I will get stuff from him

http://tropicalglitz.bigcartel.com/tropical-glitz

Cheers.
Humdinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking about flake Reply with quote

Bluggy wrote:
Humdinger I dont mean to hijack your thread. I went on the website for info and
decided to look up About US...the business is for a great cause. That content moved me, as a Dad most will feel that.

You could about read it here, I will get stuff from him

http://tropicalglitz.bigcartel.com/tropical-glitz

Cheers.

I agree that's one of the main reasons I'm going with them! That and he's got an awesome selection at a cheap price!
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking about flake Reply with quote

Helping his son is awesome.

But cheap? $ 13.00 for 4 ounces is cheap? When I flake I use about 2.5 to 3 pounds of flake with very little wasted.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Humdinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking about flake Reply with quote

I'd consider 13 bucks for 4 ounces relatively cheap... compared to roth flake at 20 for 2 oz, metalflake corp at 56 for 8 oz, and paintwithpearl at 20 for 4 oz.

If you have a reputable company with good prices I'm all ears!
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking about flake Reply with quote

MeadowBrook Inventions. 10 pound bag delivered for about $ 125.00 That is about $ 0.79 per ounce. They make the flake there. 0.008, 0.015 and 0.025 sizes of Polyester flake. They will also send you 1 ounce samples for free.

I have bought 100 pounds of flake from them over the last few years.

http://meadowbrookglitter.com/polyester-glitter/

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Humdinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking about flake Reply with quote

I looked at them before when I saw a lot of people on here used them but none of the colors on their chart really spoke to me... I may give them another look. I didn't realize they were that cheap because they don't list prices online.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking about flake Reply with quote

The color speaking to you is sometimes more important than the cost. I custom mix my colors sometimes to make something a little different. But care has to be taken because too much and they turn ugly with the color combo.

Bluggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking about flake Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Helping his son is awesome.

But cheap? $ 13.00 for 4 ounces is cheap? When I flake I use about 2.5 to 3 pounds of flake with very little wasted.

Great that guys like you make the time to help. Since he was selling it by 4oz bottles, I thought it used amounts like that to apply.

I emailed him asking about applying, when will he will stock the color I wanted and amounts but he never got back to me.

The other company you mentioned has great colors too.

Cheers.
dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking about flake Reply with quote

Always been a fan of green buggies! I feel like its a less common color too
Bluggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking about flake Reply with quote

Joe, since you have dealt with flakes before, you might be able to tell if the pics on the Meadowbrookglitter site does not stand out.

I was looking at Electrci blue on TropicalGlitter and honestly his colors are more vibrant. He has a nice mix of subtle green and red within the blue, as you can see in his pics as opposed to the other which has a lot of black flakes in it.

The other company seems to have black in it as opposed to a mix of other colors. I tried to find something comparable to the Electric Blue but cant seem to match it.

OP what did you decide on?

Cheers.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking about flake Reply with quote

Meadowbrook's pictures are a decent guess. But once it gets in the sun, it is vibrant. I suggest calling them and get some samples to look for yourself.

For flake advice, 008 gives a better color representation, but is super hard to photograph, just way too busy to capture. 015 pops more, looses the color a touch, but photos a lot better. 025 is just all flash for a 1/4 mile away, and harder to lay down.

Here is a Manx I did in the original 008 Brilliant Fire Red. In person it flashes like crazy, but to hard for the camera to focus and capture it.

That was about 3 to 3.5 pounds of flake. But it depends on what you want for the final look. I flake until I have 100% coverage with no base coat showing through between the flakes out in the sun with a magnifying glass.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: