Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Some questions for my 40hp 1200 - 1965
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
awm440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Some questions for my 40hp 1200 - 1965 Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have a Dunebuggy with a stock 65 beetle components. It's currently still a 6v system, but is run on 8v. 1200 - 36 or 40hp - 28pic carb.

I took it out the other day, and it ran fairly well all around town. I put about 50 miles on it that morning, maybe more. Then, later in the day when I went home, it started to pop and hesitate on me during acceleration. I noticed that if I tried to accelerate at a normal rate, it would crack, pop, hesitate, and it tried to stall out on me a number of times. Until eventually, two blocks from home, it did stall out. I waited a few minutes and it did start back up again and I made it home fighting to keep it alive. The slower I accelerated, the better it was. I noticed it ran better on flat roads than it did on hills.

My initial guess is the fuel pump. However, I took it off tonight and doesn't look particularly worn out. If I push on the flange fuel comes out.

So, I have some concerns that it might be as simple as the choke on the carb not working properly. It started to run better once it had been running, but then still did the same behaviors fairly often near the end of the trip, so I'm doubtful of that. Maybe dirt in the carb? Perhaps the coil is going bad? Has anyone had a similar experience?

2. I plan on installing a 12v conversion kit with an alternator. Do I need to get the generator fuel pump or the alternator fuel pump? I know they have the long and short push rod respectively and you have to use the right one.

3. I've also been thinking about replacing the stock distributor with an 009 or a SVDA. I'm not really sure what the stock distributor is or what would be the best bet for me. I want to be able to drive the car often and reliably.

Any help you can offer would be much appreciated.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Some questions for my 40hp 1200 - 1965 Reply with quote

Sudden failure to fire under load... that often is due to ignition system issues. I would check the running coil voltage, cap, rotor,, points, condenser, coil, plug and coil wires, and plugs. Then I would chase through the system feeding power to the coil as some issues may only show with the vibration from driving (buggies tend to shake and rattle more than Bugs.)
awm440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Some questions for my 40hp 1200 - 1965 Reply with quote

It definitely bounces around a lot. Thanks, I will check it out. I hate to put any money into the 6v, I may just change it out and go from there. I'm just hesitant to do that and then have it not run at all after the conversion.

EVfun wrote:
Sudden failure to fire under load... that often is due to ignition system issues. I would check the running coil voltage, cap, rotor,, points, condenser, coil, plug and coil wires, and plugs. Then I would chase through the system feeding power to the coil as some issues may only show with the vibration from driving (buggies tend to shake and rattle more than Bugs.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Some questions for my 40hp 1200 - 1965 Reply with quote

If I were you I would fix any problems before any major changes. Like a 12 volt conversion. Also , I would check that the distributor is advancing properly. You might have a plugged vacuum line. good luck
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Some questions for my 40hp 1200 - 1965 Reply with quote

How long have you had this car? How much have you driven it? When was the last tune up?

You can't just look at a fuel pump to tell if it is good. Remove the line from the carb and put it in a jar ... crank the engine. Does it pump fuel? How much? You can also put a pressure gauge in the line to measure the pressure. Too much pressure can flood the carburetor, too little will starve the engine for fuel. How much pressure does yours have? Lots of new, cheap pump make too much pressure.

Troubleshooting engine problems is a methodical process. Guessing at problems and changing parts will likely provide you with an eventual solution, and a box full of removed parts that were perfectly fine.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
awm440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Some questions for my 40hp 1200 - 1965 Reply with quote

thomas. wrote:
If I were you I would fix any problems before any major changes. Like a 12 volt conversion. Also , I would check that the distributor is advancing properly. You might have a plugged vacuum line. good luck

The plan is to get it running again before doing the conversion. I know the vacuum line isn't plugged. I'll have to look into the distributor. Thanks.
awm440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Some questions for my 40hp 1200 - 1965 Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
How long have you had this car? How much have you driven it? When was the last tune up?

You can't just look at a fuel pump to tell if it is good. Remove the line from the carb and put it in a jar ... crank the engine. Does it pump fuel? How much? You can also put a pressure gauge in the line to measure the pressure. Too much pressure can flood the carburetor, too little will starve the engine for fuel. How much pressure does yours have? Lots of new, cheap pump make too much pressure.

Troubleshooting engine problems is a methodical process. Guessing at problems and changing parts will likely provide you with an eventual solution, and a box full of removed parts that were perfectly fine.

Agreed that it's a process. I don't believe that my fuel pump is that old or has more than 4000 miles on it, and it had a good amount of tension on the flange and fuel shot out of it across the room....still may not be ok, but I have a feeling it's fine. Plus, it did restart several times. So, I will still throw a part at it this time just to eliminate it. The other parts will need more diagnosing.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Some questions for my 40hp 1200 - 1965 Reply with quote

Why the insistence on changing out the 6v system? With clean connections and a good battery they work fine. I'd agree with above to restrain from throwing parts at the problem and actually do testing to truly figure out what the issue is. If the fuel pump is shooting fuel across the room it sounds to be ok. By the same token, you mention it being possibly a new fuel pump and these infamously have too much pressure which may be flooding the engine. It may help as well to post up some pics of the engine along with what distributor and carb you're running. Distributor number is on the backside typically or possibly on the Bosch badge. Carb number is on the left side on the bowl. Any idea on the history of the car? Has it sat for any length of time? Have you checked the fuel lines for crud? I chased a fuel gremlin for weeks before realizing the treatment someone used to seal my gas tank had come loose and was clogging the valve on the tank. You may have crap clogging your accelerator pump and it's running on just the idle circuit.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
awm440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Some questions for my 40hp 1200 - 1965 Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Why the insistence on changing out the 6v system? With clean connections and a good battery they work fine. I'd agree with above to restrain from throwing parts at the problem and actually do testing to truly figure out what the issue is. If the fuel pump is shooting fuel across the room it sounds to be ok. By the same token, you mention it being possibly a new fuel pump and these infamously have too much pressure which may be flooding the engine. It may help as well to post up some pics of the engine along with what distributor and carb you're running. Distributor number is on the backside typically or possibly on the Bosch badge. Carb number is on the left side on the bowl. Any idea on the history of the car? Has it sat for any length of time? Have you checked the fuel lines for crud? I chased a fuel gremlin for weeks before realizing the treatment someone used to seal my gas tank had come loose and was clogging the valve on the tank. You may have crap clogging your accelerator pump and it's running on just the idle circuit.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Despite the way I wrote the post, I didn't just throw parts at it as several people assumed. I'm happy to report that the fuel pump did fix my issues as I suspected it would. I've driven it a few days in a row with no issues whatsoever.

I'm switching to 12V because I've had hot start issues in the past and the 6v headlights are terrible. Currently I'm on an 8V system and I just don't drive at night because the lights aren't much better. I'm not a keep it original/stock kind of guy. That's for some people and that's fine, just not my thing. For me, the buggy was grandfather's, and we spent a lot of time working on it together and playing with it in the summer time, so as long as I keep it blue and sounding good and looking good as it was when I was a kid, it will be perfect.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Some questions for my 40hp 1200 - 1965 Reply with quote

Headlights are dim most likely because your connections are corroded or you have poor quality butt connectors. Clean up all your connections and solder your wires together and your 6v headlights will be fine. These cars were produced for over 20 years running on 6volt with no issues and millions were made. Millions more still have 6volt. Ultimately, your car, your choice. Let me know if you want to sell any of the 6volt components if they're OG.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
wfernandot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Some questions for my 40hp 1200 - 1965 Reply with quote

I am running into a similar problem. Mine is also a 6v beetle sedan. Initially the car got very poor performance (max speed 35 mph). To improve it, I put a new fuel pump and a new coil and Pertronix distributor. My problem got fixed instantly (60 mph). But after two weeks, one day going up a long soft hill it started chugging and eventually stopped. I let it rest few minutes and restarted again without problems. now more frequently it does the same thing specially if drive fast (50 mph). If I Drive slowly and very gently does nor seem to have much of an issue, but if a I sprint and run a bit after 500 yards will chug again. Then if turn off the engine and restart, it comes again normal and idles normal starts and sprints normal one or two times and then start chugging again like the reservoir inside the carburetor empties. I have rebuilt he carb and washed the jets twice in an ultrasonic bath. I am running out of ideas. By the way I rebuilt the car last year and I put a new gas tank.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Some questions for my 40hp 1200 - 1965 Reply with quote

What you are describing sounds more like a fuel delivery issue. The key difference is that you get a little good time under load before it goes bad.

With the fuel system all intact as driven you might try a cranking fuel pump delivery test. It isn't a complete test because the cranking rpm is a lot less than the running rpm. As I think of the fuel system you have a tank that may still have a fine bronze mesh strainer (often call a sock). It can get plugged up bad. You have a hard line running end to end in most bugs and buggies, it can fill with corrosion. You may have 1 or more inline fuel filters that should be replaced if even slightly questionable. You may have a fuel filter in the top of the fuel pump and they can get plugged and limit fuel. This is your fuel system check points. Water in the fuel system can plug paper type fuel filter elements too, so look for signs of water contamination.

It could be an ignition problem, but I suspect that first if a problem happens instantly when you hit the throttle, especially if it is more pronounced at high rpm. Fuel system problems typically give you a moment of good running when you hit the throttle, the time it takes for the float bowl to run low. Often fuel delivery problems happen at lessor loads at moderate rpm and it greater loads at higher rpm (when the fuel pump is trying harder.)

Of course I may be completely off-base. This is just ramblings on what I look for, to suggest where to start diagnosing a running issue.
slo356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Some questions for my 40hp 1200 - 1965 Reply with quote

When was the last time you serviced the ignition? Check the points condition and gap/dwell, replace or reset if necessary. IF they are super pitted or burned, your condenser may be bad. If you have an old one that you know is ok, I would install it to eliminate this as a possibility. Inspect the distributor cap closely for small hairline cracks.

I echo not changing anything alternator wise et al until you have cured your current problem. Btw, I would stay away from 009's unless it is an original German piece.

Good Luck finding problem and please report back as to what you find…it adds value to the Forum...
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Some questions for my 40hp 1200 - 1965 Reply with quote

For headlight the test is to measure voltage directly on bulb socket when they are on. Bad connection can drop from 6-7V down to 4V.

I keep my 6V system, all in order plus some relais, it is now perfect.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Some questions for my 40hp 1200 - 1965 Reply with quote

agreeing with fuel delivery. And something that I have not experienced, but have seen posted on here is the issue being more of a problem ast things warm up - I think the pushrod starts sticking? If its intermittent, buy a cheap fuel pressure gauge (low pressure) and T it into the fuel line to the carb. Then when it does it, run back and check the pressure.

12V - 6 V. Personally will never have a 6V car...Just my preference. And if you upgrade the 1200 and go to a 1600 or something later, the parts can be transferred over....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Some questions for my 40hp 1200 - 1965 Reply with quote

awm440 wrote:
Until eventually, two blocks from home, it did stall out. I waited a few minutes and it did start back up again and I made it home fighting to keep it alive. The slower I accelerated, the better it was. I noticed it ran better on flat roads than it did on hills.

Part if not all of that could be the accelerator nozzle is partly clogged up. While you can just clean that nozzle, it will most likely clog up again all too soon due to more crud in the carb. So better to clean the entire carb to avoid having a unreliable VW...

Have found that when cleaning a crab it is best to do so two or three times over two or three days. Soaking in a one gallon can of carb cleaner between cleanings to loosen up the crud inside.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: