Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

blazecut - does anyone have bad experience?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shugon29
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: blazecut - does anyone have bad experience? Reply with quote

Hello to you all fox
I want to buy a blazecut automatic extinguisher system to my FI 2 liter bus.
I have two questions:
1. The operating temperature is 248 F - isn't it too close to the engine compartment temperature?
2. From those who had this system - what is the length we need?
Thanks,
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: blazecut - does anyone have bad experience? Reply with quote

Me and my buddies run the 6 foot in our Bays. I've seen longer but I think the 6 fits great along firewall and looping around to compartment opening. Cheap insurance.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: blazecut - does anyone have bad experience? Reply with quote

I doubt your engine compartment comes anywhere close to being that hot.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: blazecut - does anyone have bad experience? Reply with quote

Buy the 6' length. I bought the 12', and it's too long and bulky. It fits, but is overkill.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: blazecut - does anyone have bad experience? Reply with quote

And you still need a fire extinguisher on board!!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: blazecut - does anyone have bad experience? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Yes, I don't see the Blazecut being effective outside the engine bay.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: blazecut - does anyone have bad experience? Reply with quote

You also need a fire extinguisher after Blazecut snuffs the first fire, to use on the rekindling
Magion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: blazecut - does anyone have bad experience? Reply with quote

Bringing this back to life...

I just noticed today that my about 4 years old Blazecut is empty / pressure sits at 0 bars.

Is that it? Anybody have any experience with life expectancy? Their website says up to 10 years. Well 4 is not quite even half way there. Its little disappointing to say the least
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: blazecut - does anyone have bad experience? Reply with quote

Magion wrote:

I just noticed today that my about 4 years old Blazecut is empty / pressure sits at 0 bars.

Is that it? Anybody have any experience with life expectancy? Their website says up to 10 years. Well 4 is not quite even half way there. Its little disappointing to say the least

This is exactly why I havent bought one yet. This seems to be a common problem. I think the companys response is always "it should still be fine" but I dont see how that is the case.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: blazecut - does anyone have bad experience? Reply with quote

I think the have shipped for 7-8 years at most?
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: blazecut - does anyone have bad experience? Reply with quote

Magion wrote:

Well, technically the guarantee is only that the Blazecut won't last longer than 10 years. So even if you got 4 days of life, it would be up to 10 years. It's a maximum guarantee, not a minimum, but worded in a way that makes it seem like it means something unfortunately.

I have read some stuff about not worrying about what the gauge says, and that it's not accurate anyway. But then why have one on there? I definitely wouldn't have any peace of mind 'hoping' it will work when needed.

It would be interesting if there was a way they could dye the gas inside somehow, so you could have a better visual if it's charged for sure.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: blazecut - does anyone have bad experience? Reply with quote

If the Blazecut triggers a fuel shutoff valve to close, and you have a separate fire extinguisher to put out the possible burning puddle of fuel under the vehicle, then it will help save the vehicle.

Otherwise you run the risk of the fire in the engine bay being extinguished while the fuel running out of a broken pipe in the engine bay into the fire below keeps on burning.

Me ? I fitted stainless braided motorsport fuel line and a metal bodied solenoid valve in the fuel line.
That was after a fire where the solenoid valve saved the vehicle, by only releasing a small amount of fuel before I shutoff the ignition and the valve. A 2lb dry powder hand held extinguisher put out the engine bay and the puddle underneath.

The rubber fuel line was charred under the vehicle but it did not break downstream of the solenoid valve.

Two days later after some rewiring and cleaning up, the camper was back on the road.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Magion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: blazecut - does anyone have bad experience? Reply with quote

I think I would follow up,

I received a response from Blazecut US regarding to my question.

Martin- 0 bar is normal. The system is very low pressure at normal temps, building as heat increases. to check the condition of your T series you do not use the gauge. To check you need to look for an air bubble in the line. if there is an air bubble that means there is liquid, and if there is liquid the unit is good. I hope that clears things up, if you determine that the unit has in fact lost its liquid then yes, it has gone bad and we will determine what went wrong, please let me know. Thanks!

Josh Andersen
Owner - BlazeCutUSA
Kiwi1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: blazecut - does anyone have bad experience? Reply with quote

Hey , thats good to know, thanks for making the enquiry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: blazecut - does anyone have bad experience? Reply with quote

I have had some questions about the blazecut system for years. I am not saying it does not work but it has some design features that I see as "iffy".

I see these types of fire suppression systems all over factories I go to...inventory rooms, mechanical spaces...server systems etc. And by "these types"...I mean chemically.

The blazecut system you guys are using...which the T series for small enclosures...uses HFC227ea or HFC236fa chemical. This is technically the same as FM200.

I see what they are getting at with not worrying about pressure...kind of....but it makes me think it would not be as effective as it could be.

The chemical is VERY effective. But it does not absorb or displace oxygen. This is what makes it....mostly..."people safe".

It is a liquified gas. As such...it only needs limited head pressure to keep it from sublimating into gaseous form.

However...most systems that use HFC227ea or HFC236fa or FM200....run bottle pressures of 360 psi average. This is so when teh spray seal is punctured....there is enough force to REALLY spray the liquid which then flashes off into gas/vapor.

In the blazecut...yes the HFC will turn from liquid to gas when its freed from head pressure...but the spray pattern may not be that effective. It would be much better with actual head pressure.

So yes....what they are saying with the bubble thing.... is that if you can still see that its filled with LIQUID....its still operable.

What I would do is weigh it when its new and mark that on the unit. Once a year weigh it again. Keep track of it.

I am sure they want it low pressure because its in a plastic tube. That plastic tube will degrade with time and heat cycling. Thats why these things cannot last forever. But not having actual pressurization means that it spray pattern is totally dependent on how fast it can sublimate from liquid to gas.

Not saying its bad...just that it could be better.

This system has been talked about a lot. A couple of years back I was thinking...why could we not just get a chemical fire bottle HFC or FM200 or even C02....and put in one spot, plumb it to a valve wit ha T-handle under the dash...plumbed to several nozzles in the engine bay.....and then get a fire sensor for the bay with a warning light and alarm...just like airliners.

But....come to find out ...and you can easily think through this issue....that...to steal a quote from a white paper on this issue...."with high volumes of moving air, dust and combustion particulates, widely varying surface geometry and surface temperatures".......these are very complex, take computing power and software and are expensive and have to be replaced/rebuilt/recalibrated on a regular basis.

Its not as simple as a smoke alarm.

Personally I think blazcut should also install an air or gas valve to be able to even put something like 50 psi of head pressure on the unit. Yes it will go up as it heats.....but not a huge amount. Then the valve can have a simple "loss of pressure" switch screwed to it....going to a warning light on the dash.

You could also have a 10lb bottle as mentioned earlier of FM200 or HFC.....so that when the blazecut pops....its the first line of defense but has very little spray time. When the blzecut alarm went off you could wait five seconds and then pull the bottle...insuring whatever lit on fire...stays out. Ray
Ray
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: blazecut - does anyone have bad experience? Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:
Me ? I fitted stainless braided motorsport fuel line and a metal bodied solenoid valve in the fuel line.

Im interested in doing this really on all my VWs. Any particular type of solenoids I should look for? Very confusing to try to search for it. So many appear to be either shutoffs inside a carb or someplace else that won't be applicable to what we need.

Which brands might be better?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: blazecut - does anyone have bad experience? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Yes, I don't see the Blazecut being effective outside the engine bay.

I used to be a firefighter/medic. I've seen or fought plenty of car fires. I really doubt that tube will help any but the smallest fires.

Also with most fully involved car fires, not just a back fire or electrical fire, the fire tends to be the fuel puddling below the engine and car as much as in the engine bay itself. Obviously with an aircooled engine, the top and bottom are sealed, limiting what the blazecut can do anyway.

Even very large fire extinguisher or two usually don't work. The fire reflashes eventually and if the fuel tank is dumping its contents via gravity, good luck even with an pumper/engine on scene.

I really want to fight the gravity fed aspect of the the VW tank. It's not really safe and why most cars have a pump in tank so there is no gravity feed if you turn off the key.

Im not saying blazecut isn't useful, but I don't see it as anywhere close to a panacea.

You see people talking about the almost daily VW fires and the first 30 people say "should have had blazecut". I've given up trying to fight the bullshtt marketing and just laugh.

Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: blazecut - does anyone have bad experience? Reply with quote

The pain of an invalidated purchase decision is a Blazecut catheter, sans lubricant
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: blazecut - does anyone have bad experience? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

<snip> ...why could we not just get a chemical fire bottle HFC or FM200 or even C02....and put in one spot, plumb it to a valve wit ha T-handle under the dash...plumbed to several nozzles in the engine bay.....and then get a fire sensor for the bay with a warning light and alarm...just like airliners.

I've spent a few years at sea (scientific research fleet, if you are interested), and recall on one vessel the massive CO2 system that they had to protect the engine room. A couple of dozen large CO2 gas cylinders all plumbed together to flood the engine room with gas in the event of a fire. Heaven help anyone who did not get out of there when it goes off.

Ever since I have thought of the CO2-cylinder-in-a-bus idea. It would be best to couple it with dampers for the intake towers.

However, as others have pointed out, that does nothing to solve the problem of our stupid gravity-feed gasoline tanks emptying onto the ground under the bus and roasting it.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: blazecut - does anyone have bad experience? Reply with quote

[quote="jtauxe"]
raygreenwood wrote:

However, as others have pointed out, that does nothing to solve the problem of our stupid gravity-feed gasoline tanks emptying onto the ground under the bus and roasting it.

I feel like this is the biggest problem. Im sure an engine fire would melt some stuff but if you noticed quickly enough and turned off the gaz, you're probably not looking at a totalled vehicle.

Of course, some people don't. I've had fire calls with people on the phone with 911 chasing a burning car because the people inside didn't know and wouldnt pull over for honking and flashing. I've SEEN trucks going down the highway with a tire on fire. You'd think they'd have a CB on at least and the other truckers would tell them.

This is also an issue with Blazecut by the way. Even if it is perfect at suppressing a fire above the engine tins, it will dissipate in a short period of time wiht all the air flow of a running engine and there's a decent chance you wouldn't even notice until the flashed back on fire after the Blazecut dissipated. It would be nice if they could put a sensor and mount a warning light up front that it activated.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: