Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Figuring out correct shocks for a lifted Thing?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Figuring out correct shocks for a lifted Thing? Reply with quote

Hello guys, I'm tired of getting rattled to death from my gas adjust shocks so want to replace them.
Two problems...my Thing is lifted so I assume they aren't stock length shocks, and there's no part # on them for me to cross reference.
Any advice?
guppysoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Figuring out correct shocks for a lifted Thing? Reply with quote

Maybe just measure your gas adjusts and then talk to a Bilstein dealer/expert? I hated the gas adjusts on my Safari (loved em on bugs). The bilsteins made a huge difference for the better!

Good luck.
cousineddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Figuring out correct shocks for a lifted Thing? Reply with quote

I have the bilstein 5100 class 11 shocks on mine,they ride great on the street and off road
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Figuring out correct shocks for a lifted Thing? Reply with quote

the most accurate way would be to fully extend the suspension, take a measurement of shock mounting points. then collapse the suspension and take a measurement of shock mounts.

an offroad shop should be able to help locate the proper length shock for full drop and full compression.

with that said, if the front has adjusters and they are cranked, it won't change the shock length needed. similar to rear as long as plates are not notched and are factory plates that may just be re-indexed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Figuring out correct shocks for a lifted Thing? Reply with quote

Here is a link to a table of Bilstein shocks (listed by physical dimensions):
https://www.my4by.com/bilstein-shock-specs.html

Hope that helps, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Figuring out correct shocks for a lifted Thing? Reply with quote

Yes, measure twice.

Check out these guys: http://www.eshocks.com/bil_ORsb.asp?Series_Index=Q3&Manf=All&SubChar=Q

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: