Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 Westy Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busman1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Westy Restoration Reply with quote

MorkC68 wrote:
good luck with the project dude, some good work going on!

Thanks MorkC68! Taking my time and trying to do it right!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busman1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Westy Restoration Reply with quote

Well I pulled the windshield Sunday to see just how bad the rust problem was and just as I figure it was pretty bad. I've already planned on buying a whole front nose, so no biggie. Still working on removing the dogleg on the driver side and cut out some rust holes in the front wheel well and door jam.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The lower corners of the nose

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Westy Restoration Reply with quote

Good call on simply changing the whole front nose panel. It will probably be faster to do that vs. cutting in replacement metal on the windshield ledge and the bottom 6". I bet you will also see lots of rust internally at the bottom of the nose as well.

I hope you document taking the old one off and your findings as you go to install the new nose panel.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busman1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Westy Restoration Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Good call on simply changing the whole front nose panel. It will probably be faster to do that vs. cutting in replacement metal on the windshield ledge and the bottom 6". I bet you will also see lots of rust internally at the bottom of the nose as well.

I hope you document taking the old one off and your findings as you go to install the new nose panel.

Yes I have been taking lots of pictures and notes. Probably one of the biggest body panels I have ever had to replace. I've been looking at KlassicFab but the front nose they show looks like one for an early bay. And yes where the bottom clip meets the top panel there is probably 5 or 6 holes so I know it will be better to spend the money and buy the whole nose replacement. Thanks wcfvw69
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Westy Restoration Reply with quote

Looking at the rust showing at the bottom of the front panel, you may be better off swapping the whole nose, as you have mentioned.

That way you will be able to ensure the donor will be nice and prepped well before fitting. We've done a couple of front panels now & I must admit the can be daunting, especially as you don't know what lurks out of sight!

Our westy had a crumpled air box assembly from a shunt before we bought it. We took our time, measured, measured and measured again before welding everything back in place!
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
Busman1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Westy Restoration Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice! Yeah I plan on measuring everything before I start cutting it all out. It does seem like a big task but it has to be done so I'll give it my best shot. Going to get the dogleg and floor pans installed first then get started on the nose. Then after that I'll be removing the paint and priming and blocking it all out. Thanks again
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Westy Restoration Reply with quote

That makes good sense, whilst your doing those jobs, it may reveal how good areas are and how bad the areas you know are bad, really are.

The results are worth it in the end, we took our time and didn't pressure ourselves to get completed:

Smile
- 180W Solar System

Busman1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Westy Restoration Reply with quote

That's what I'm doing, I work on it some during the week but mostly on weekends. I never get in a hurry because I know I got all the time in the world to get it done. I want it done but I'd rather take my time and do it right.
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Westy Restoration Reply with quote

Keep us posted on progress, lots of pics Smile

Its good seeing other restorations and watching them evolve..good luck!
- 180W Solar System

Busman1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Westy Restoration Reply with quote

I will definitely keep everyone posted on here with tons of pics! Thanks for advice and motivation! Always appreciative of help from others!!
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Westy Restoration Reply with quote

MorkC68 wrote:
...Our westy had a crumpled air box assembly from a shunt before we bought it. We took our time, measured, measured and measured again before welding everything back in place!

Slow clap, my man. That's some nice clean work.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Westy Restoration Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
MorkC68 wrote:
...Our westy had a crumpled air box assembly from a shunt before we bought it. We took our time, measured, measured and measured again before welding everything back in place!

Slow clap, my man. That's some nice clean work.

Thanks dude, appreciate it!
- 180W Solar System

Busman1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Westy Restoration Reply with quote

Well while i'm saving up to buy the nose for the bus, i'm working on getting the floor pan in and the front driver side dogleg replaced. Didn't get much accomplished this weekend, but I figured out my floor pan fits pretty good. The only 2 major things I seen wrong with it were the steering rod hole doesn't line up perfectly and I guess they are made for universally for late bays too? The replacement pan had this bracket down the center that I drilled the spot welds out and removed, it looks nothing like the bracket mine has originally for the emergency brake and gear shifter.

I kept my original ones intact so I removed the bracket that came on the floor pan replacement. I knew when I bought the K crap floor pan it would be a little off, but it fits better than I expected. Now I got to find a parts bus to replace these front fender wells before I weld in the new floor pan. Or I might fab a piece to go in there. I POR 15 the frame underneath the floor, so now just waiting on parts. In the mean time I'll work on the passenger side front wheel arch. It's got some major rust holes and I have the panel to replace it.

Busman1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Westy Restoration Reply with quote

Here's a video the of 2.0 running, hopefully going to have it installed before Summer is over.

Link
[/youtube]
Busman1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Westy Restoration Reply with quote

Well I finally got some time to work on the bus again. I installed the 2.0 this weekend, just bolted it in with the jack still supporting it at the moment. I'll begin to try to figure out all the fuel injection stuff later this week. Never have dealt with a FI bus engine before. I also installed the new FI fuel tank and cut a small hole for the return line. During the process of removing the previous engine I lost the mustache bar mounting bolts. I think I read on here somewhere that they were 8mm X 1.25? If this is correct would someone let me know? Also how long are the factory ones? Thanks

77Campmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Westy Restoration Reply with quote

Hey man, looking good on the tear down and resto process keep up the good work. I have been restoring mine as well with a lot of the same issues your finding.

I was wondering if you might be able to take a measurement for me seeing how you have your dogleg cut out. I had to remove mine too and found that the lower A-pillar was toast so I replaced it but I am worried I didn't put it in correctly as it is supposed to bend backwards slightly just below the bottom hinge and I am not sure if I put enough of an angle in.

Anyways, would you possibly be able to measure from the firewall behind the front wheel to the bottom of the A-pillar for me?

Thanks

Busman1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Westy Restoration Reply with quote

77Campmobile wrote:
Hey man, looking good on the tear down and resto process keep up the good work. I have been restoring mine as well with a lot of the same issues your finding.

I was wondering if you might be able to take a measurement for me seeing how you have your dogleg cut out. I had to remove mine too and found that the lower A-pillar was toast so I replaced it but I am worried I didn't put it in correctly as it is supposed to bend backwards slightly just below the bottom hinge and I am not sure if I put enough of an angle in.

Anyways, would you possibly be able to measure from the firewall behind the front wheel to the bottom of the A-pillar for me?

Thanks

Thanks 77Campmobile! I'll definitely measure that for you when I get home! It will be around 6pm eastern time.
Busman1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Westy Restoration Reply with quote

77Campmobile wrote:

Thanks

Hey 77Campmobile, got those measurements. Yours looks to be correct. It measures 44 1/2 inches from the b pillar to the A pillar. Measures 46 inches from the B pillar to the start of the nose. Let me know if this helps or you need some more measurements.

77Campmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Westy Restoration Reply with quote

Busman1985 wrote:

Hey 77Campmobile, got those measurements. Yours looks to be correct. It measures 44 1/2 inches from the b pillar to the A pillar. Measures 46 inches from the B pillar to the start of the nose. Let me know if this helps or you need some more measurements.

Busman, thanks a bunch!!!!

Couldn't really tell from the pic when I looked at it as the tarp is blocking the A-pillar but your saying it is 44.5 inches from B-pillar to the rear face of the A-pillar correct? And is that to the bottom of the A-pillar or to where the step meets the A-pillar?

It looks like mine is close but the brazilian OE VW wheel arch I purchased is coming up short to the pillar which is why I am concerned.

Thanks
Busman1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Westy Restoration Reply with quote

77Campmobile wrote:
Busman1985 wrote:

Busman, thanks a bunch!!!!

Couldn't really tell from the pic when I looked at it as the tarp is blocking the A-pillar but your saying it is 44.5 inches from B-pillar to the rear face of the A-pillar correct? And is that to the bottom of the A-pillar or to where the step meets the A-pillar?

It looks like mine is close but the brazilian OE VW wheel arch I purchased is coming up short to the pillar which is why I am concerned.

Thanks

Here you go 77, this is from the b pillar to the a pillar. It’s 44 inches, 46 inches from the b pillar to the start of the nose.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: