Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

Could you point us in the direction of this thread? I'd like to see any pictures or anecdotes.

Here's another, although the photos have gone all haywire. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=476955

It looks like they are still on Photobucket
http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/1961Ghia/media/bWVkaWFJZDo4NTM1NTM3NQ==/?ref=
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

"BTW... I'm sure the short one in that pic is the ringleader..."
For sure... the tall ones all look confused Smile
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Gary, you couldn't have posted the frame where I was waiving st the camera for a bit? I need a new Facebook photo.

Wasted youth wrote:
I sort of got lost in the bearing problem... Is this what you are talking about?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=615690&highlight=

Yes, that's what about to happen. Fortunately for Cynthia, the end play isn't opening up, but that's just a consolation prize at this point.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

I knew it! If there was a pool on this a collapsed pressure plate would have been the square I would have picked! Very sorry to hear about the main bearing issues that have sprung up though. Sounds like once again her motor need to be addressed. Question is who will be tapped to go through it this round?

Is it still under any sort of warranty from the shop that did the rebuild? Or has that shop as an option already been kicked to the curb?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

sodbuster wrote:
Question is who will be tapped to go through it this round?

It is my understanding that aeromech uses a local quality builder for his long blocks. No offense to Robbie. Laughing
’65 Deluxe Build
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
sodbuster wrote:
Question is who will be tapped to go through it this round?

It is my understanding that aeromech uses a local quality builder for his long blocks. No offense to Robbie. Laughing

Cynthia has expressed interest in assembling it herself. Of course if time is a factor, there is about a dozen builders in Southern California and twelve of them are faster than me. Wink

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Sadly my usual engine builder has seen better days. At 72 and after two heart attacks he admits that his mind isn't what it used to be. Therefore, I've found a new guy. He just completed my personal longblock which I'm currently in the process of building up with my existing tinware. I've used this guy in the past and I guess would recommend him even though I haven't yet tested my new engine.

As far as Cynthia goes... I think she is interested in doing this herself and that's fine. I'm sure Robbie and Brian's livingroom would make a fine workshop. Not like it would be the first time.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

What happened to that extra engine Cynthia had? Could that be used as a core?
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
What happened to that extra engine Cynthia had? Could that be used as a core?

It's in my backyard covered with a tarp. Anything is possible but who knows how many miles are on that engine. I'd start with a known good case myself (which is actually what I did). If someone wants to come grab this motor I'd be happy.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

2 Days at work to read this whole thread. It's been a helluva ride. Let me know next time the group goes to Pomona, or ditches work for Big Wednesday. Or has a BBQ where the drunk buddy can sleep in his bus in your yard! LOL I wanna come play Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NYCynthia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
My two cents says that while you’ve bought some time with this engine, I think a new build should be started soon. Completely new longblock. Time to just bare the brunt and plan a new motor. No old cases. No cut cranks No welded heads. Good stuff assembled with ❤️. We could use this thread for reaching out to the community for donations of Parts. Lets build Cynthia a new engine.

Hey Gary! You're right about starting a new build. This community has done more than enough for me, I don't feel comfortable accepting donation especially after all your kindness. However, if anyone runs across a good quality part that can go towards the engine build please let me know or PM me!

It is sad to discover all these things about my engine after getting it fixed and then re-fixed at the shop. I did mention to Gary after the mishap with the shop I can't say I felt confident with the engine. Originally, I expressed interest in building it myself but realistically I don't have the time or space. Gary, I'll go with whatever builder you recommend. I am going back to New York in November to make some money and save up for parts for the new engine. I guess my first step is contacting a reputable engine builder for a long block?

I wanted to share with you guys the invoice I got from the shop I never got a chance to post it and reveal what was actually done on the bus.

This is when the engine broke not too long after I brought it to the shop. They had to split the engine again and the shop owner waived this after telling him what happened.

Would you guys consider this a rebuild?

Sorry about dumping that old motor at your place Gary. I believe the person who gave it to me said he honestly doesn't know the condition of the motor, he got it on CL? If you want to dispose of it I can take it off your hands. Don't want to burden you with it. Nice security camera BTW!

Telford, I'll save my restored 205Q distributor for the new engine!

If there are anymore questions please feel free to ask! I'll keep everyone posted.

Last edited by NYCynthia on Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Dang it. Sunny needs to roll. I hate all this finger pointing. The bus is in good hands with a proper owner. I just hate that the engines has been a burden.

Look Samba folks. This is not "Hostel Alaska" or "Peach Picker glam shot girl" Cynthia is the real deal when it comes to humans. She doesn't need hand outs and she's not trying to make a name for herself on the web. She's just a good hearted person wanting to enjoy some good Vdub time. That being said I would totally toss in a bill to give a finger to this unfortunate situation. Cynthia is a great person. We need more millennials like her. I like having people like her in my life. Let me know how I can help C.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Hmmm..life dilemma number 496

You have a warranty, but it's in WA state. Is it worth bringing Sunny up to WA to try to get an adjustment?

Probably a call to the shop first is in order.

What's current mileage please??
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

I don't know how these guys make any money fixing air cooleds anymore...seems you can do a job to the 9's and have junk parts/machine work bite you in the ass. With all of the junk out there that needs machine work there is no easy way out. Sad...really.

These things are so simple yet so fussy at the same time. Honestly, id rather set up vvt hubs than build an air cooled these days....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Cynthia got unlucky with her engine rebuild/s, for sure. I think Skills nailed it. These type 1 engines are not terribly complicated to rebuild where they will last. The challenges come in finding machine shops that care about the quality of work they do, finding quality parts and then someone to carefully assemble it.

You look at the struggles Robbie had in finding machine shops in S. California to do his machine work and balancing. Colin went through similar hell when he rebuilt his engine in Chloe this year.

Rebuilding these type 1 engines is time consuming for sure. I don't know how businesses/shops can make any money doing it these days with labor rates over $100 per hour.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Gary, I'll go with whatever builder you recommend

Sounds like by the time you're ready to move forward I'll have my new engine running. Then I'll be able to recommend my new builder, or not.

Sorry about dumping that old motor at your place Gary. I believe the person who gave it to me said he honestly doesn't know the condition of the motor, he got it on CL? If you want to dispose of it I can take it off your hands. Don't want to burden you with it

It's okay to stay where it is for now. I'm thinking that next year I'll pull it in and see if I can get it running. It was given to you as a parts motor so feel free to take whatever you need from it.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
NYCynthia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

You have a warranty, but it's in WA state. Is it worth bringing Sunny up to WA to try to get an adjustment?

The current millage is 86,090

wcfvw69 wrote:
The challenges come in finding machine shops that care about the quality of work they do, finding quality parts and then someone to carefully assemble it.

What if I slowly shop and collect good quality parts and provide them to a machinist where they only need to balance and assemble the new engine together? That way they won't get junk part for the engine for time sake?
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

NYCynthia wrote:
Abscate wrote:

The current millage is 86,090

wcfvw69 wrote:
The challenges come in finding machine shops that care about the quality of work they do, finding quality parts and then someone to carefully assemble it.

What if I slowly shop and collect good quality parts and provide them to a machinist where they only need to balance and assemble the new engine together? That way they won't get junk part for the engine for time sake?

You have 86,090 miles on that motor already? If so, well freaking done! For both getting a type 1 to last that long, and putting that many miles on so quick. Though, I have my doubts that that is what you mean.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:

You have 86,090 miles on that motor already? If so, well freaking done! For both getting a type 1 to last that long, and putting that many miles on so quick. Though, I have my doubts that that is what you mean.

If you look at the invoice she posted from the shop that did the engine work, it lists mileage at 79165. So it sounds like she's got about 7K on the engine.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

NYCynthia wrote:

I would continue to consult with Gary and Robbie Cynthia. Gary seems to have located a good engine builder who built his new engine. Robbie could also help in the process as well. From his engine build a couple of years ago, he certainly knows who to avoid in regards to machine shops in the the SD or S. cal area. Gary and Robbie also know what parts manufactures to avoid as well.

Thinking out loud here, for what you paid that shop in Washington, have you considered calling them and letting them know the issues you're having? Obviously no one would feel comfortable letting them try to rebuild it AGAIN, for the third time. Who knows, maybe they'd do the right thing and refund you some of your money back?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Page 49 of 52

Jump to: