Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this a split window convertible decklid?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a split window convertible decklid? Reply with quote

Suboval wrote:
Suboval wrote:
It's a KSR reproduction.

Scuff, bury in dirt. Instant patina.

You seem mighty sure of yourself based on 3 not so great pictures.

Since we are offering our opinions on this, I have seem a lot of fake patina and it is always easy to spot. If this is fake patina then this is the most convincing example I have every seen. I might be convinced otherwise if I had better pictures or saw it in person but it looks like genuine patina to me.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a split window convertible decklid? Reply with quote

I dunno, but what about the rest of the car? IMO the car looks fake patina, with decklid, apron etc. added to match the look. The easiest way to complete such a car would be to source a KSR lid, but of course anything is possible. 3 of the hinge screws are missing the patina, so the lid could be a recent transplant instead of a long standing one.
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a split window convertible decklid? Reply with quote

Zwitterkafer wrote:
I dunno, but what about the rest of the car? IMO the car looks fake patina, with decklid, apron etc. added to match the look. The easiest way to complete such a car would be to source a KSR lid, but of course anything is possible. 3 of the hinge screws are missing the patina, so the lid could be a recent transplant instead of a long standing one.

The patina on the outside is far less convincing than the patina on the inside.

The multiple layers of paint, flaking around the edges, natural-looking surface rusting in believable places, and the oxidation on the inside are pretty convincing to me.

Seeing it in the flesh would certainly help but if somebody faked it, it seems as though they really did their homework, and went through a great deal of effort to make it convincing.

If somebody has that skill, they are wasting their time with VW's, and should be working on the restoration work on the Sistine Chapel ceiling!

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Suboval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a split window convertible decklid? Reply with quote

Keep in mind that the KSR decklids came out over nine years ago.

There's two things we learn from history:
1.) History repeats itself.
2.) We don't learn from history.
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a split window convertible decklid? Reply with quote

BUCIOBATISTI wrote:

If that's a fake decklid with fake patina, I'd like to meet the sorcerer who did it so incredibly convincingly.

I've done it on a bed sill for my dad's '66 C10 using a kit from Hobby Lobby.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But to blow your mind, Street Machinery in Ohio has a guy that does next level fake patina.

Before:

After.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a split window convertible decklid? Reply with quote

Does the ksr decklid have the tab below the triangle big-spring bracket? Looks like the one in your link doesn't... had look here but couldn't see any inside pics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a split window convertible decklid? Reply with quote

Suboval wrote:
Suboval wrote:
It's a KSR reproduction.

Scuff, bury in dirt. Instant patina.

You cannot just scuff the EDP coating off of these decklids. It doesn't dissolve with acetone or thinner. I wanted to be sure mine was EDP, and it is. This lid would have to have been 100% media blasted. It's coated to prevent rust like most modern car replacement panels. It's not that cheap packing "primer" that you see on Empi exhausts.

Also, the upper body lines are a lot closer to stock than the KSR lid which has gaps to be modified. It took several hours to modify mine, and I wouldn't throw fake patina after all that work. And then, throw a VW logo pope nose and L handle on it. The whole "fake" scenario is possible, but highly unlikely.

Blasting, metal work, hard to find parts thrown on, multiple colors? That IS sorcery to pull off a fake. Then, not even finish the job with a big spring properly attached to a later oval? It just seems like the wrong decklid slapped on many years ago by accident. If not, I'm impressed.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a split window convertible decklid? Reply with quote

I'm not a decklid expert, but for the PO to hopefully get it right, here's some pics of my later lid. Still, real or not, the repro is $600 with no handle or light housing.

Look at the drain tube, in other threads, they say that is the giveaway

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a split window convertible decklid? Reply with quote

Absolutely, definitely NOT a KSR lid. This lid's genuine.

There is a certain flaw present in all Karmann W lids that KSR either didn't notice, or decided not to replicate. This lid has the flaw.
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a split window convertible decklid? Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Absolutely, definitely NOT a KSR lid. This lid's genuine.

There is a certain flaw present in all Karmann W lids that KSR either didn't notice, or decided not to replicate. This lid has the flaw.

What would that flaw be?

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Suboval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a split window convertible decklid? Reply with quote

roachdub58 wrote:

I'm not a decklid expert, but for the PO to hopefully get it right, here's some pics of my later lid. Still, real or not, the repro is $600 with no handle or light housing.

Look at the drain tube, in other threads, they say that is the giveaway

Could you please post a picture of both rain guards in one picture, similar to the one above?

Clint Deason1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a split window convertible decklid? Reply with quote

Here are a couple pictures of the rain guards.

Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a split window convertible decklid? Reply with quote

Definitely an original decklid
Suboval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a split window convertible decklid? Reply with quote

Roachdub58 can you please post a picture of your decklid like this one?

Clint Deason1 wrote:

TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a split window convertible decklid? Reply with quote

Suboval wrote:
Roachdub58 can you please post a picture of your decklid like this one?

Clint Deason1 wrote:

Sure, give me a bit, it's hard to see with the car backed in the garage. I'll move some stuff around to roll it into the sun.

Brezelmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a split window convertible decklid? Reply with quote

It is an original cabrio engine lid, no doubt about that.
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a split window convertible decklid? Reply with quote

Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a split window convertible decklid? Reply with quote

The difference between the black reproduction lid and the OG lid is really obvious when you look at the oval shaped stamping to either side of the spring perch.
Suboval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a split window convertible decklid? Reply with quote

Mr. OGPaint wrote:
The difference between the black reproduction lid and the OG lid is really obvious when you look at the oval shaped stamping to either side of the spring perch.

Thank you for pointing out to look for!

Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a split window convertible decklid? Reply with quote

I think I might have figured out the super secret flaw. The repro decklid has tabs on the top inside panel (to hold the license plate wire in place?) but the original does not.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: