Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VWs as seen in Cozumel Mexico
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: VWs as seen in Cozumel Mexico Reply with quote

If you are limited in your travels as I have been until now, you may not have run across some of the varying types of VWs that exist out of your little slice of the world. I ran across these while on a trip to Cozumel Mexico.

A whole row of dune buggies for rent, I haven't seen that many in one place outside of a show. A couple of what I guess to be customs based on the Polo available for rent from Alamo. Some Beetles modified to take advantage of the sunny weather there and seat 5 comfortably ( Shocked ?)
And also this poor Thing: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8518704#8518704
There were plenty of more pedestrian though custom, Beetles too. Wish there was more time to explore them all.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs as seen in Cozumel Mexico Reply with quote

kenj06 wrote:
If you are limited in your travels as I have been until now, you may not have run across some of the varying types of VWs that exist out of your little slice of the world. I ran across these while on a trip to Cozumel Mexico.

Don't drive that one in the USA. Smile

The custom Polos are cool
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: VWs as seen in Cozumel Mexico Reply with quote

Wife and I in Cozumel 1989 with rented car. Back then it was a much different place not overdeveloped like Cancun on the mainland. Beautiful coral reefs and clear water. The hotel sent a type 2 to pick you up from airport or you could rent a new bug from Avis. We spent a week on the island. At that time all the tourist stuff was on West side. East side deserted and very private, you could be naked on the beach.

Went back about five years ago. They dredged the harbor destroyed much of the coral reef so cruise ships full of fat tourists can get right in to buy T shirts and other cheap shit. Place used to be very beautiful with iguanas running around everywhere and lush vegetation. I asked what happened was told several hurricanes took care of the trees and poor natives ate the iguanas. Jacque Cousteau would be very sorry to see what it has become now. I've got more pics including the VW dealer from 1989. At that time VWs dominated the island and we had a blast. Imagine being able to rent a new bug.
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs as seen in Cozumel Mexico Reply with quote

I was there about three months after Wilma hit Cancun and Cozumel and both were pretty bad. The hotel we has always stayed in partially collapsed into the ocean. Both areas were changed significantly after that storm. My last visit to Cancun there were still buildings in the Hotel Zone that has essentially been abandoned since the storm.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: