Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What the difference is between these 2 beams?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: What the difference is between these 2 beams? Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/Empi-22-2819-0-Narrowed-Rat...ed+vw+beam

https://www.amazon.com/Empi-22-2814-0-Narrowed-Adj...QTE7DYV2M5

Im starting a dune buggy project and I'm in need of a 2" narrowed beam, not sure if i plan on using drop spindles yet or not, most likely i will. but why does that matter if the beam is adjustable, why do they state one is for drop spindles and one isn't?
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: can someone please tell me what the difference is between these Reply with quote

Why not ask the person selling the parts what the difference is?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: can someone please tell me what the difference is between these Reply with quote

It is obvious, you need to not just read the two descriptions but comprehend what they define about the product.

Here is a hint: Spindles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: can someone please tell me what the difference is between these Reply with quote

What is the difference in regards to a beam whether you use dropped spindles or standard spindles?

I didn't think there was abeam difference.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: can someone please tell me what the difference is between these Reply with quote

the adjustable lets you adjust the drop to your likeing. not just drop 2.5". what if 2" is just right and 2.5 is too much? or you need 3" to get the look you want? so get the drop beam and the drop spindials....and dial in your drop!!
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: can someone please tell me what the difference is between these Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
It is obvious, you need to not just read the two descriptions but comprehend what they define about the product.

Here is a hint: Spindles

Yes I read and one says for dropped spindles the other doesn't. That is obvious.. id like to understand the difference between the 2 beams. Why is one for dropped spindles and the other not. Is it an adjustment thing a set preload, I don't understand why one could or couldn't be used with or without dropped spindles or stock spindles.
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: can someone please tell me what the difference is between these Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
What is the difference in regards to a beam whether you use dropped spindles or standard spindles?

I didn't think there was abeam difference.

Yes that is what I am wondering. If I purchase one for stock spindles and decide I want to use drop spindles is the one I purchased now not usable?
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: can someone please tell me what the difference is between these Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
the adjustable lets you adjust the drop to your likeing. not just drop 2.5". what if 2" is just right and 2.5 is too much? or you need 3" to get the look you want? so get the drop beam and the drop spindials....and dial in your drop!!

I understand how the adjustments work.. what I don't understand is why the beams are different. Why one is specifically for drop spindles and one is not. What makes them different? The spindles attach to the trailing arms which attach to the beam and spring leaves.

I would assume that it's a preset adjustment thing but I'm conserved if I order one or the other and decide it's not the way I want to go (drop spindles) will the beam still work?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: can someone please tell me what the difference is between these Reply with quote

I don't know for sure but I agree with you in guessing one is indexed lower to start with. There is only so much adjustment available on the beam. There are lots of good beam builders out there that will provide exactly what you desire, no guessing. Why buy EMPI? No one local?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: can someone please tell me what the difference is between these Reply with quote

Okay here is another hint - Shock Towers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: can someone please tell me what the difference is between these Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:

Here's another hint. You don't give the answer because you don't know.

OP, based on what I'm seeing in the 2016 Empi catalog inset on page 202, the difference is that the adjusters on the one made for dropped spindles are welded in a more "neutral" position to allow for both raising and lowering to fine tune the ride height.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What the difference is between these 2 beams? Reply with quote

I am in error, stuck in the back of the gray matter was when lowering the shock towers changed at the same time requiring a shorter shock. My apologizes.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What the difference is between these 2 beams? Reply with quote

You can tell by the pictures that the adjuster is in different spot between the two.
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: can someone please tell me what the difference is between these Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
busman78 wrote:

Here's another hint. You don't give the answer because you don't know.

OP, based on what I'm seeing in the 2016 Empi catalog inset on page 202, the difference is that the adjusters on the one made for dropped spindles are welded in a more "neutral" position to allow for both raising and lowering to fine tune the ride height.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thank you!
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: can someone please tell me what the difference is between these Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
I don't know for sure but I agree with you in guessing one is indexed lower to start with. There is only so much adjustment available on the beam. There are lots of good beam builders out there that will provide exactly what you desire, no guessing. Why buy EMPI? No one local?

Mainly price.. not sure If anyone local can supply one.. I'm going to try to do it myself actually. Worst case I have to buy one and I'm out the cost of the adjusters.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What the difference is between these 2 beams? Reply with quote

EMPI beams are empty, your gonna still need leaves and all the other parts. I did a 30 second classified search and saw this.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=709012
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What the difference is between these 2 beams? Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
EMPI beams are empty, your gonna still need leaves and all the other parts. I did a 30 second classified search and saw this.

Yes i saw that too, thanks for posting. I also know i need everything else inside if i where to purchase eitjer of these beams.. I am aware they are empty. Thanks again though. I've decided I'm going to make my own.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What the difference is between these 2 beams? Reply with quote

Rockbound wrote:
c21darrel wrote:

Yes i saw that too, thanks for posting. I also know i need everything else inside if i where to purchase eitjer of these beams.. I am aware they are empty. Thanks again though. I've decided I'm going to make my own.

Sounds good.
There are several "how to" threads on narrowing and welding in adjusters. They make it a lot easier than trying to figure it all out on your own. Good luck.
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: What the difference is between these 2 beams? Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Rockbound wrote:
c21darrel wrote:

Sounds good.
There are several "how to" threads on narrowing and welding in adjusters. They make it a lot easier than trying to figure it all out on your own. Good luck.

yep I've been through a ton of them, they are what made me decide to do it. love this forum. tons of great info here! thanks again!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: