Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tore my top... Patch?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rrankin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Tore my top... Patch? Reply with quote

Can it be patched? Has anyone tried?

I love this top - It's a TTS top so it was expensive and I'd rather not have to buy and install a new one.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Robert R.
Austin, TX
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Tore my top... Patch? Reply with quote

rrankin wrote:

I love this top - It's a TTS top so it was expensive and I'd rather not have to buy and install a new one.

Thanks,
Robert R.
Austin, TX

If it tore easy it will likely tare again and again but it is at least a band aid. If it was tore because of "stuff happens" , carelessness, or other unfortunate reasons then patch it. I took mine off and had a awning shop put a nice patch on it. That was a waste of time and money because the top already had too many birthdays.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tore my top... Patch? Reply with quote

Where is the tear (was it a seam or is there a small hole)?

https://www.tear-aid.com/

These guys make a good patch that will get you through the winter-you can pick them up on Ebay in different sizes.

You can go to a convertible top shop as well and see if they can repair it.
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Tore my top... Patch? Reply with quote

rrankin wrote:

Thanks,
Robert R.
Austin, TX

Should patch easily enough unless along a pressure point such as the front edge, etc.
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rrankin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Tore my top... Patch? Reply with quote

Ok for $40 I got a functional patch to get me through until I can buy and install a new top.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Tore my top... Patch? Reply with quote

see if it was me.. being where that is tore.. Id put in a zipper & make it big enough to put a surfboard threw.. and say its custom option for surfers..
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Tore my top... Patch? Reply with quote

We have seamlessly repaired soft tops, boat sails, and much more using

Marine Goop is the strongest single component adhesive and is great for multiple marine grade applications. Marine Goop will bond to glass, metal, canvas, wood, vinyl and rope and is ideal for stopping leaks in waders, wet suits, diving masks, rafts, and air mattresses.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/eclectic-products--...k8QAvD_BwE
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Tore my top... Patch? Reply with quote

Take it to a sail maker. I've had complete panels replaced for less than $100.

If anything’s going to happen, it’s going to happen out there.
---Captain Ron
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Tore my top... Patch? Reply with quote

I would take it to an auto upholstery shop for an estimate. Most are very experienced with convertible tops in addition to seats, dash boards, interior panels, carpet, etc. They can most likely patch it or, depending upon the location of the tear, replace the affected panel of the top with a similar material.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Tore my top... Patch? Reply with quote

I keep Marine Goop on hand fro home brew repairs. It works great and can be nearly invisible if you applied with the top off the car. But if you have access to a good upholstery guy, that can be a great solution. I have a marine and golf cart upholstery guy. He does repairs for $40 hr. Not many problems he is unable to repair on an hour.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: