Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empi Sportster Roll Call
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Sounds good Vponder, I hope you get a chance to get it going before the end of the year.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

I went to the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles last week. They have a what is called the Vault Tour. It is in the basement of the building. In the Vault along with many other vehicles is a EMPI Sportster. It a brownish orange color with original Gates tires.
You are not allowed to take pictures in the Vault. To see it you have to go to the museum.
Parked next to it is a Dean Jefferies Kyote full length buggy, baby blue color powered with Corvair engine.
The tour guide we had was more of a V8 guy, did not know anything about the buggies.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Wife got tired of me saying it will be drivable soon , so just bought another one
Will be delivered on Monday can't wait
There is a really nice one for sale in Washington on this site at a good price , if it was a bit closer I'd buy it too
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

That sucks that you cant take a pic! I don't even know the story behind that Empi.

Maybe contacting the curator will give me details.

Larry, my wife tells me the same thing! Get your ride to Bakersfield in Oct.

We are having a run from Bakersfield to Stallion Springs/Tehachapi.
I am hoping that the Burro Buggies show up!

Tony
Bakersfield.
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

OK Larry wheres the pic ?
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Vponder pics will come after it is here
Tony when is the OCT run we maybe able to do that
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

sandhopper wrote:
Vponder pics will come after it is here
Tony when is the OCT run we maybe able to do that
Is the Sportster turn key ? or a project ? cant wait to see it. V
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Turn key , the wife was tired of me saying the one I have will be done soon
It will be here Monday night can't wait
I know this buggy as I have been on several trail runs with it
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Hello Sandhopper,
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/shows/

Its October 14, we leave in the morning and come back in the evening.
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Tony that sounds like a blast , I will try and make it
How many would be going from Bakersfield ? and where would you meet ? I would be coming from Taft
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

There were 100 vehicles last year, we are getting a count this week. Guys from Visalia and other central coast clubs will come. I hope Burro Buggies will show up.

Best
Tony
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Uploaded new video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtVF8G8PktI

Tony
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

OK now that it is here I can post a couple of pictures
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

now we can start to make it ours
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Great buggy I thought that might be the one I checked his ad and it was still up a couple of days ago. I've always liked that one. Make it yours and have fun thats what Ive been doing to the black one I got, getting ready to do a motor swap soon and put a rebuilt beam on it.
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

found out my new deal is not that good . is not titled as a 71 vw
NV title , but vin is blue ca sticker ( no vw vin # ) that you can't read
So it is back for sale as I don't want to do the whole special constuction thing and my ins company will not insure that anyway
I know I will take a loss I hope someone like this buggy and can get me out of hot water with the wife
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Man Larry hate that you got jammed up over this, just wondering about the vin on the tunnel is it not readable? mine was not that great I had to sand it pretty good to get a good look at it. Also if its faint you look into getting someone that does serial number acid etching like they do on guns where the serial number has been filed off. I know we used that method on a 4 wheelers VIN number that was taken in as evidence when I was at the PD. Vince
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Today I took my buggy to my mechanic to switch out the engine, the SP I got on another buggy looks good, I bead blasted all the tin and repainted . Had the air ducts closed off. He still had it on the test stand so I got to hear it run sounded good. It got duel cannons that I got from a guy on here, their chrome but older some patina as they say. He's putting a rebuilt beam on it to while its there to many parts worn on the old one ,drives like crap. The engine not going to be anything to fancey just good running and maybe, just maybe leak free for alittle while LOL.
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Great to hear! Send us some updated pics.
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

This is my new to me , used engine, it was on another buggy I bought so go easy on me and yes I will be taking out the fuel filter there is one already under the back bed.
johnnyniceguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Nice listing of Sportster in the classifieds today. Sunday 10/29
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 33

Jump to: