Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Semaphores or bullets ?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bustariel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Semaphores or bullets ? Reply with quote

Hi everyone. Do you know how to identify which is the correct turns lights for the oval 57 ?

I mean, semaphores or bullets ? no traces available...

Thanks a lots !
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Semaphores or bullets ? Reply with quote

Get a birth certificate and see what its destination country was or sand the paint away on the B pillar and see if the semaphores have been filled in.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Semaphores or bullets ? Reply with quote

Im thinking bullets per the BC pic in your gallery.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bustariel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Semaphores or bullets ? Reply with quote

I removed the paint and nothing...

In Argentina we receive both, semaphores and bullets.

Also in the BC is mention M018, which is for the Sweden market only. By the way, all the options are available in my oval.

Confused
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Semaphores or bullets ? Reply with quote

Well, you answered your own question if there was nothing there when the paint was removed.

You received both options of either semaphores or bullets in '57 if you went to the dealer and bought a car new?

Also, the birth certificates are notoriously bad when it comes to listing the options correctly.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Semaphores or bullets ? Reply with quote

The best way to tell for sure is to look on the body VIN plate. IF there is an actual year stamp in the box you can be very sure it came with semaphores.
bustariel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Semaphores or bullets ? Reply with quote

Nothing here my dear ...

AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Semaphores or bullets ? Reply with quote

well the car that the vin plate was originally attached to did not come with semaphores, not sure if they body itself had them filled. If the spare tire well has the "support bracket" at the bottom rear then its a euro body.

Even though some coach built came factory with screws to hold the vin almost all were riveted. The screws holding on your vin are not factory
bustariel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Semaphores or bullets ? Reply with quote

Many many thanks. I’ll look for the support that you said. I noted the screws.
The vin number in the plate is matching with the car so I’ll try to check the body number. Maybe is not the original body ...
Do you have a picture for the support ?
bustariel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Semaphores or bullets ? Reply with quote

Body number checked. Latest February 57. Marching
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Semaphores or bullets ? Reply with quote

This is an early oval with stamped wire holders but the reinforcement is the same

AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Semaphores or bullets ? Reply with quote

Looks like I may have mis spoke on the support. Consensus seems that it is used for early ram protection vehicles regardless of destination.
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Semaphores or bullets ? Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
Looks like I may have mis spoke on the support. Consensus seems that it is used for early ram protection vehicles regardless of destination.

I was going to point that out.

The stamped year on the data plate is new though, not sure why a full year stamp would indicate semaphores or not. You're saying that in '55 - '57 a semaphore oval would have a full year stamp and a bullet oval wouldn't, why would they do that?

AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Semaphores or bullets ? Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
The stamped year on the data plate is new though, not sure why a full year stamp would indicate semaphores or not. You're saying that in '55 - '57 a semaphore oval would have a full year stamp and a bullet oval wouldn't, why would they do that?

Vehicles destined for domestic delivery were required to have the date stamp. I have not seen a domestic delivery 55-60 that did not have semaphores.

I am not sure on CKD, Canadian delivery etc. but for domestic vs. U.S. export its been the case in my experience.

As for the brace my memory had faded as I used to believe that NO support meant domestic delivery but then realized that ram protection could also be ordered on a euro spec so its not as sure as the date stamp
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: