Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Driveline Question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Syncro Driveline Question Reply with quote

I'm planing on a long trip with some 6000 ft elev., I won't be using or needing the 4WD, My question is I have a de-coupler and a locking rear. If I was to snap an rear axle or CV , could I remove that axle and lock the diff and still proceed and in the same idea if both rear axles are removed will the front diff still move the van.
I always have a spare front and rear axle in the van . but I was thinking about removing the driveshaft for better performance. Of course with the front the driveshaft will have to be inplace.

thanks
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Driveline Question Reply with quote

I was in a situation this summer where one of my options was to remove the broken axle and drive home locked with the decoupler on. I was told by someone who's advice I trust that it was perfectly OK to do so. I did not however choose that option so I can't comment from real world experience...
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Driveline Question Reply with quote

Yes, you can absolutely run with the axle removed and the locker engaged. For as long as you want, with or without the driveshaft. Typically the front axles will not grenade unless they are filled with sand or under torque.. so I would not worry about it.
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Driveline Question Reply with quote

Thx.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Driveline Question Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
axle removed and the locker engaged. For as long as you want, with or without the driveshaft.

I agree. This is because you have a rear locker. If no locker, I would "go easy" on the VC and not go too far or fast (on FWD only).

But with the rear axle locked (driving one rear wheel direct drive) I wouldn't worry. It IS beating harder on that one rear drive axle, but to "get home" that's a good use of your equipment !

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
87vanwes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Driveline Question Reply with quote

If you are thinking of traveling with your driveshaft out, locking your decoupler is a must. There were no per visions by vw to run a driveshaft decoupler with out a drive shaft lubrication wise. My first three road trips were without a drive shaft. I ran with it coupled and the sender unplugged so I didn't have to look at the light. I guess that's an aviation thing.

1987 westy syncro tdi conversion and restoration.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Driveline Question Reply with quote

I drove 120 miles with rear axle removed and rear locker on, decoupled engaged. Was fine and had no issues. But you should just bring a spare rear as they are easy to swap.
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Driveline Question Reply with quote

I just took my dad on a four day 1000 mile run through Colorado. We were running from storms and chasing the turning Aspens. We climbed over seven Passes between eight and twelve thousand feet. We used the Syncro off road a bit, showed him the joy of camping wherever. It was primarily highway and dirt roads. I took tools, but no extra parts. It was in the twenties in the evenings, so we carried extra sleeping gear. We were a little heavier then when its just me and the dog. The van made a few new sounds due to the extra three hundred pounds.
You can run with your diff locked and an axle out. If your axles are good and you're not weighing a ton over the vans usual weight, you will not break an axle. Just enjoy your trip. I would leave the drive shaft. You may see something off road worth looking at. All the best. Give us a full report, with some fine photos.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Driveline Question Reply with quote

It takes some effort to bust an axle....
.... but less if you cracked it somewhere else.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: