Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reproduction OT Pulley's
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
frikendelicious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Reproduction OT Pulley's Reply with quote

I believe they reduced the diameter to prevent the pulley from cutting into the case. This happend a lot with the earlier ISP ones. The aluminium expands more than the original pulley. The reduced diameter is now causing the oil leaks. So Im wondering: is that only when the engine is cold, or is it also still leaking when warm? Either way, not really nice!

thanks,
jeroen
Mr.Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Reproduction OT Pulley's Reply with quote

That shouldn't matter. Empi and many others have made aluminum pulleys with the correct diameter for years without issues. So what would make these ones expend any different?

The gap that is between the case and pulley snout is still pretty decent even with an original pulley. Steel doesn't expand at the same rate that aluminum does but the difference between steel and aluminum at full heat is very small.
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction OT Pulley's Reply with quote

Mr.Ragtop wrote:
That shouldn't matter. Empi and many others have made aluminum pulleys with the correct diameter for years without issues. So what would make these ones expend any different?

The gap that is between the case and pulley snout is still pretty decent even with an original pulley. Steel doesn't expand at the same rate that aluminum does but the difference between steel and aluminum at full heat is very small.
Isn't it that, heated, steel expands more than an aluminum?
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr.Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction OT Pulley's Reply with quote

DONGKG wrote:
Mr.Ragtop wrote:

Isn't it that, heated, steel expands more than an aluminum?

No. Aluminum expands at a fast rate and expands further than steel.
oldbusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Reproduction OT Pulley's Reply with quote

If the ISP OT copy pulleys are leaking, then they should take them back.

I have one on an Okrasa build that I haven't run yet.. I bought the pulley a couple years ago, so it would be interesting to see if it would be accepted as a return.

Trevor
Mr.Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction OT Pulley's Reply with quote

oldbusboy wrote:
If the ISP OT copy pulleys are leaking, then they should take them back.

I have one on an Okrasa build that I haven't run yet.. I bought the pulley a couple years ago, so it would be interesting to see if it would be accepted as a return.

Trevor

I agree they should take them back. From talking to a friend yesterday, I guess they are aware of the issue and are concerned about it. No idea what they will do. I got mine cheap enough and have the skills to correct it. Not worth going through the hoops to get a new one hoping it’s different.
johnny d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction OT Pulley's Reply with quote

Mr.Ragtop wrote:

[...]and have the skills to correct it.

so what you are going to do with it?
&
VWKernzentrale since 2007
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction OT Pulley's Reply with quote

I have a leaking ISP West OT pulley as well.
I've thought of turning it down and running sand seal.
Thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction OT Pulley's Reply with quote

mr. warehouse wrote:
Thoughts?

You can turn the neck down of the ISP pulley but you have to add a steel collar otherwise the seal will cut into the aluminum.

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction OT Pulley's Reply with quote

Mr. Okrasa wrote:
mr. warehouse wrote:
Thoughts?

You can turn the neck down of the ISP pulley but you have to add a steel collar otherwise the seal will cut into the aluminum.

Thanks. I was told to use a "Speedi Sleeve" or similar. In the meantime, I swapped it out for a Speedwell Denzel pulley and the leak has stopped.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr.Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction OT Pulley's Reply with quote

johnny d wrote:
Mr.Ragtop wrote:

[...]and have the skills to correct it.

so what you are going to do with it?

If you look at the other pages in this thread, i talk about fixing my pulley. I had it welded to make the OD much bigger. I will then lathe is down to the correct size of a stock pulley. Then lathe in the “slinger” groove again. It’s a lot of work, but if you have the tools and are able to do the work yourself, it’s not a big deal in the end. Here is the pic again after being welded.....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Mr.Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction OT Pulley's Reply with quote

Well I finally got around to finishing the pulley fix. It was machined to the exact dimensions of a stock pulley.

motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction OT Pulley's Reply with quote

That's some beautiful machine work! Be careful...you just might be getting request to fix a bunch of them!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnny d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Reproduction OT Pulley's Reply with quote

its pretty nicly done.

ISP should do that to all our pulley. As there a lot of guys out there they can´t do this by there self. Crying or Very sad me included. Sad
&
johnny d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Reproduction OT Pulley's Reply with quote

mr. warehouse wrote:

Thanks. I was told to use a "Speedi Sleeve" or similar. In the meantime, I swapped it out for a Speedwell Denzel pulley and the leak has stopped.

ha, me too greg! Wink
&
Ted2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Reproduction OT Pulley's Reply with quote

Mr. Ragtop,
After the repair what was the OD and the overall length?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction OT Pulley's Reply with quote

I went with Stepans (stefi.g) pre-A OT pulley. It's an absolute beauty! Made of cast iron and can be used as a dinner gong of my engine plans fail. Diameter is 17cm

Thought it was better to pay a bit more and hopefully cry just once.

ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Reproduction OT Pulley's Reply with quote

Frederik wrote:
I went with Stepans (stefi.g) pre-A OT pulley. It's an absolute beauty! Made of cast iron and can be used as a dinner gong of my engine plans fail. Diameter is 17cm

Thought it was better to pay a bit more and hopefully cry just once.

Do you have a link to this pulley and will it work on a 36er? Thanks

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Reproduction OT Pulley's Reply with quote

I wanted to give my feedback on the ISP OT pulley.

I built and installed them on 4 okrasa clone motors using the WW kit. Out of the 4 pulleys (still have a fifth one new in the box) Every single one of the motors throw oil at high RPM's all over the motor compartment. Swapping back to the stock pulley remedies the problem. Unfortunately I did not see this thread until after I bought the pulleys. I really like the way the OT pulleys compliment the Okrasa clone kits. So I plan to see how much it will cost to have them reworked. It surprises me that with all the issues that ISP has not fixed the problem.

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Reproduction OT Pulley's Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1400128
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: