Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chicken tax?! Buying Canadian VW from the US
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: Chicken tax?! Buying Canadian VW from the US Reply with quote

Hi,

I live in the US, & am considering buying a vehicle from Canada, I was told that maybe if the Chicken tax ( is still alive, I could be paying a hefty tax bringing a vehicle from Canada to the US.

If so perhaps I could get around it if the owner brought it over the line, and I purchased then in the states.

Anyone experience this?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

Thanks!

Chicken tax?! Buying Candadian VW from the US
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Chicken tax?! Buying Candadian VW from the US Reply with quote

The chicken tax is still alive as far as I know, but it is only for brand new vehicles. It does not apply to to 30+ year old VW's.

I have heard that it is much more expensive to have a commercial transporter pick up a VW in Canada and deliver to the US compared to picking it up in the US. I am not sure the exact dollar amount of difference , but I was told it was more money for them to cross the border.
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Chicken tax?! Buying Candadian VW from the US Reply with quote

thanks ronjonlasvegas, yea, I was betting on the big increase in commercial transporter prices in crossing the border.

Appreciate the info on the chickentax - one less tax to pay...
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Chicken tax?! Buying Candadian VW from the US Reply with quote

Have you bought a VW from Canada?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Chicken tax?! Buying Canadian VW from the US Reply with quote

There was a post in the bug fourm that explained the tax/transfer/transportation costs of moving a car from the US to Canada and back. There was some good info, and Apparently there is a big scam "upcharge" of crossing the border by transports. In reality I think it was like 20 bucks. No tax due.

Do some searches on here and see if you can find it. Try "transporters" or "shipping cost". Whatever you do, do your homework first and avoid BS charges.
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Chicken tax?! Buying Canadian VW from the US Reply with quote

Thanks, I will have to do some homework....

will report back what I find..

maybe will help someone else...
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Chicken tax?! Buying Canadian VW from the US Reply with quote

There was a recent thread (actually, more correctly put, I think, an old thread recently bumped) in the Vanagon forums where posters were reporting that they did, in fact sometimes have to pay the Chicken Tax. In those cases, 25% on the purchase price.

They were talking about Single Cab Vanagons and Doka (double cab) Vanagons. Aparantly some were getting lucky and the border officer may not actually look at the vehicle-only the paperwork- and only charge 2.5% tax.

Others had the workers look at the vehicle and declare, "yup, that's a truck!" and make them pay the chicken tax.

Some Dokas weren't charged the chicken tax because per the VIN it is categorized by VW as a utility vehicle while single cabs were because per the VIN it is categorized as a truck. But some Dokas were charged the tax because for whatever reason it had a different VIN code, or because the officer said, "Looks like a truck to me!"

But according to the experiences shared in that thread, at at least some ports of entry, the chicken tax very much is charged for 30 year old VWs.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Chicken tax?! Buying Canadian VW from the US Reply with quote

Doesn't Ford make vehicles in Canada? How do they get the cars to the US?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allenw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Chicken tax?! Buying Canadian VW from the US Reply with quote

NAFTA
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Chicken tax?! Buying Canadian VW from the US Reply with quote

And the chicken tax is only applied to trucks.

Just yesterday afternoon I got to talking to a guy about this. He told me about observing that one brand of foreign pickup trucks (Toyota maybe, don't remember for sure) had issues where the bed of the truck would rust out, but the front/cab area never did.

Found out it was because they were bringing the trucks in without beds, and then building the beds and installing them to the frame here to avoid the tax.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Chicken tax?! Buying Canadian VW from the US Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
And the chicken tax is only applied to trucks.

Just yesterday afternoon I got to talking to a guy about this. He told me about observing that one brand of foreign pickup trucks (Toyota maybe, don't remember for sure) had issues where the bed of the truck would rust out, but the front/cab area never did.

Found out it was because they were bringing the trucks in without beds, and then building the beds and installing them to the frame here to avoid the tax.

My 87 Toyota was just like that. The bed rusted away and the cab still looks good. I found another bed, that is a slightly different style/manufacturer, that is solid as they come. I have heard the crappy beds were made in Mexico, and bolted to the trucks at the port in CA.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Chicken tax?! Buying Canadian VW from the US Reply with quote

I bought my Doka in 2002, paid 3% tax to bring it in, cost me $30, no importer needed. The seller had a letter from VW Canada saying the truck met U.S. standards, and I had to pre-pay my Vt. Vw dealer for a speedo install to change it from KPH? to MPH. That was it. Since I had the trucks VIn #, I registered it here, and had it insured when I drove it across the Boarder.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Chicken tax?! Buying Canadian VW from the US Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
KPH? to MPH.

km/h
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: