Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ride-On goes Subaru power
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

*NOTICE*
I will be using google photos to post this build. many can see the photos I have posted just fine, so if you can't see them view the samba in google chrome

so after years of getting pushed around by traffic on family camping trips, Ride-On has decided to take the plunge and go Subaru power for his awesome 77 westy.

all the way from Canada he puttered down here with a solid running/driving 2.0 FI bus pushing him as best as it could (actually, the bus runs pretty dam nice) but he wants more out of the bus, more than he could ask of the 2.0. so, we are going 2.5 and a Subaru 5 speed.

looking forward to this one as it will have some challenges to work thru using the 5 speed. if anyone is in the market for a good running 2.0 with ALL of the FI stuff and an 091 message me ( I will be posting it for sale in the next day or so) this will be a complete package...we will NOT separate parts/pieces off of it, but may be willing to break up the engine/transmission separately.

Subaru dog barks again

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

fresh set of heads

heads on, oil pan etc

updated oil separator, new rear main

we are going with a good used engine on this one. this was in a clients former Subaru I have serviced for the past 3 or so years. it ran well and we are just going to kind of refresh it. I normally don't go this route but every once in a while I let one slide Laughing

the sheer awesomeness of OEM parts

I have to tell you, every time I do one of these builds I get a chubby being able to use OEM parts. nothing like pulling the wrapper off of something and knowing it will work right out of the box without spending hours making something work.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history

Last edited by skills@eurocarsplus on Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Hmm, I PM'ed you about not being able to see pics before, but they are working for me now.

Excited to see this unfold! Thanks for sharing!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Hmm, I PM'ed you about not being able to see pics before, but they are working for me now.

Excited to see this unfold! Thanks for sharing!

I know...and I p/m'ed you back saying I could see them....dunno if it's a google thing or a samba thing.

I'm looking forward to this as well. a few of the challenges will be cutting the rear transmission hanger to accept the 5 speed. honestly, I really don't care for the idea, but it is what it is.

also working out the hydraulic clutch will be interesting as well...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Sorry, I didn't mean for it to look like you hadn't responded. Just commenting that for whatever mysterious reason, even though I couldn't see the one pic, I can these. And I'm glad for it!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Don,
I’m not sure what the problem is seeing the photos but I was able to see the one of you in the Subaru shirt. Maybe you should use the samba gallery in the future? It might make you better looking.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Don,
I’m not sure what the problem is seeing the photos but I was able to see the one of you in the Subaru shirt. Maybe you should use the samba gallery in the future? It might make you better looking.

use google chrome to view. on IE I can see them on my end. not sure what's going on.

I have no interest in using TS to host photos. it's a bit of a pain in the ass to be quite honest....too many steps

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Okay, scratch that 🐶,
Maybe just a biscuit would help your smile?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Oh great, another pristine Bus all hacked to shit.
It's sure to be fucking awesome Very Happy

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Ride on told me he was headed your way for the dark side treatment.

Have fun.

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

I can see the first 5 photos fine but not the last two. I am using google chrome..
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

You know it baby! I have a dull pair of tin snips and a blunt ax....let the good times roll Laughing

Yea Craig..this was suppose to happen way earlier. He has been beyond patient with my family situation. He has been fantastic to work with my only hope is he will be happy with the results

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

http://www.roonuts.com/index.php?page=clutch

Popcorn
Tcash
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to this as well. a few of the challenges will be cutting the rear transmission hanger to accept the 5 speed. honestly, I really don't care for the idea, but it is what it is.

Hopefully with the new nose cone design you will be able to get the transmission pushed forward enough to not need to cut the hanger and help keep the cv angle closer to stock. No joint problems with mine yet, but I have torn 2 boots.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Yes...that was my concern as well. The nose cone looks nice, but I think they still use the same subamount...so it may not amount to anything...but if it moves it forward more that would be nice

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

in the future...
all VW Baywindow bus will be Subarued.
It's only a question of time. Sooner or later. I know this.
There will be a Twelve Step program. : )
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Some might have TDI motors! Very Happy

But I do like reading the Subaru threads too, and like the looks of them, and might think about that option further if/when the engine wears out in my '73.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:
Xevin wrote:

in the future...
all VW Baywindow bus will be Subarued.
It's only a question of time. Sooner or later. I know this.
There will be a Twelve Step program. : )

Yes, I'm going to be Skills first 1.2 Subaru Justy econo swap. 3 pistons 73hp Carbureted. Should be awesome Twisted Evil But seriously if I had a good specimen of a bus and needed a new type 4 engine. The Subie swap would be ideal. Skills new build is going to be sweet. I got dibs on the old engine Smile

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Yes, our 77 Westy Fourbie is going Subaru! Or... since the swap is coming from a Forester, will we have to call him Fourbster??

We are very excited by the prospect and dropped him off at Skill's place last weekend. Great to see his work first hand (that blue bus is DIALLED!), catch his enthusiasm first hand and generally make things real.

Fourbie's been 'in the family' since 2000, my in-laws 4th Westy - the one they've kept and enjoyed the longest, passing on to us in early 2015 with great pride and happiness... it might be in our driveway, but they still get out in it too! Between us, we've averaged 10,000 km (6,000 miles) each of the last 3 years. The engine is still original, pulls like a champ, cruises really well at 60-65mph and has pretty much left us alone - the last 2 years have only been oil changes... and the usual slow drips onto the driveway. We joke that Fourbie is doing his best to dissuade us from a swap - like break-up sex!?? But, we are keen on better mileage, better cruising speed on the highway, less noise, some actual heat, and the possibility of cool in the future. So... off we go from 2L FI 4sp to 2.5L FI Subarugears 5sp.

Maybe this is Fourbie's mid-life crisis? After all... he is 40 now! Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

thanks for the kind words. the blue bus is ok for what it is I suppose. like most of my swaps, this is your "forever" bus, and I can see that in the pride you take keeping after it. being that it's your forever bus, one can easily see why you'd put the money into a conversion....it's not about speed (well, ok it was pretty fun passing that row of cars @80 on I 95....up hill too! Very Happy ) it's about the ability to travel with little worry.

will the bus break down? yes....it's a machine they all do at some point, but the ability to be up and moving quickly is a nice insurance policy. what's nice is the availability of OEM parts.

this was from dump buses owners:

makes what I do worth it in the end when I get a text 2 years after a swap and they are still living the honeymoon with the bus

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:

Last edited by skills@eurocarsplus on Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

will the bus break down? yes....it's a machine they all do at some point, but the ability to be up and moving quickly is a nice insurance policy. what's nice is the availability of OEM parts.

Are you being a pessimist or a realist?
Tcash
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 23

Jump to: