Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Super Beetle Engine Rebuild
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtsipe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Super Beetle Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

Hello, I just removed my first super beetle motor and I am looking to rebuild it. Could anyone give me some links to some good step-by-step processes that include plenty of photos and videos? I have both the Bentley Manual and "How to keep your Volkswagen alive" book.

The reason for my rebuild is because the engine is seized. First, I tried hand cranking it with no luck. Second, I tried pushing it in fourth gear with no luck. Third, I removed the spark plugs and put Automatic Transmission Fluid in and waited a week. I tried pushing it in fourth again with no luck. My friend said I should continue the process but I know if I freed up the cylinders that eventually there would be later engine issues I will have to deal with, which is why I want to rebuild it. I enjoy working on cars and it will be a nice winter project.

1976 VW Super Beetle Convertible
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks!
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

You can check with fellow member Buugee and Mr. Duncan, they both have done recent engine rebuilts and I would trust either one with mine. They can probably offer you some insight or point you in the right direction. I want to say Cusser did too, maybe check his thread also.

There's plenty of knowledge on this forum, so I would suggest you start by researching what others have gone through, if you have never done an engine rebuild.

You can also learn by reading their restoration threads.
Buugee
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=672387

Mr. Duncan
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=644459&highlight=duncan

Cusser
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664950&highlight=resurrection
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

Go over to the Performance forum and have a look at the FAQ's. There's lots of links to engine builds.

This one is especially good for information on an engine build.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=579257
You may not be looking to build a monster engine. But the techniques used to build the engine are very good.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

Here's another good thread on a restoration. Towards page 11 he gets into the teardwown. He also built one of these cool work tables.

KingOfAces
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612922&highlight=57

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

I started a build about two years ago as it sits just needs sheet metal and accessories. Mostly stock it began as a mystery. Very Happy
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
Here's another good thread on a restoration. Towards page 11 he gets into the teardwown. He also built one of these cool work tables.

KingOfAces
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612922&highlight=57

Thanks for posting this Joey. I had forgot about this disassembly rack. My nextdoor neighbor is a wood crafter and might be up for a challenge this winter. He's retired and needs something to do other than building his replica British Pub Cool in his backyard.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
You can check with fellow member Buugee and Mr. Duncan, they both have done recent engine rebuilts and I would trust either one with mine. They can probably offer you some insight or point you in the right direction. I want to say Cusser did too, maybe check his thread also.

There's plenty of knowledge on this forum, so I would suggest you start by researching what others have gone through, if you have never done an engine rebuild.

You can also learn by reading their restoration threads.

Cusser
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664950&highlight=resurrection

Yep, last fall/winter I rebuilt my original 1971 1600 DP engine; had stuff machined, then I assembled it. But it was not seized up. Try to get the engine to turn, so hard to guess exactly what is seized.

Lots of photos, too. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664950&highlight=resurrection
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

I think as you start disassembling the engine, what's sized will come to light. Strip the engine to a long block. Remove the heads. Remove the pistons and cylinders (if the rings are not rusted/seized to the cylinders) and keep going till you find it.

It will be a fun winter project for sure as you're not on a time rush apparently. This will allow you to be very careful while rebuilding it.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

Joey's too cool to props these threads. I'm monkey see monkey do and I made my share of goofs that had me go-back and re-run a section here and there along the way. Avoid those mistakes, and others, by browsing around.

Get yourself a big box of each size ziplock baggies and a permanent marker. Take pictures of things and label everything as you go along. Just assume that every single piece, every push-rod, piston, rocker, washer, etc. has to go back exactly where it came from. I can't exhaustively list it but soooo much stuff wears into a pattern right where it is so it has to go back home if you are not replacing that part. It is tedious but belieeeeve me label everything and DON'T THROW ANYTHING AWAY (not a nut, washer or gasket, nothing) until your motor is back in your car and running. It is cluttery having these baggies all over the place but beleeeeve me I was glad when I had that set of nuts that didn't come with the "complete" hardware pack or that little gasket or copper washer that didn't come with the "all stuff included" whatchmacalit. EDIT: Learn the cylinder numbers 1,2,3,4 so you can label things accordingly.

Boy are you going to have fun though. Just wait till you hear that first cylinder pop when you're cranking it the first time and it starts. Its AWESOME.

The pistons had been rusted to the cylinders when I opened it up, but now.. Mine purrs like a pussy cat, sings like a sewing machine, beats like a beetle (made that up just now) ...and I had never done it before.

Post progress pictures and be ready for lots of CONSTRUCTIVE criticism and GOOD advice. Double research everything as there are a million ways to go about lots of this.

Keep on buggin' Very Happy
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:

Boy are you going to have fun though. Just wait till you hear that first cylinder pop when you're cranking it the first time and it starts. Its AWESOME.

Post progress pictures and be ready for lots of CONSTRUCTIVE criticism

I agree, I've built a few and still enjoy that first few minutes of new engine time, smell of paint cooking, checking for leaks...... a feeling of accomplishment.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:

I can't exhaustively list it but soooo much stuff wears into a pattern right where it is so it has to go back home if you are not replacing that part.

I can't recall where I read this, it could had been online or in a car magazine, and I also can't recall the correct quote nor the person quoted(I would like to say it was a head honcho of a car company from the early days of automobiles - so maybe F. Porsche, or Enzo Ferrari - man I'm horrible at this) but I have been carrying in my head the message that mechanical items/parts, which are machined, weighted and balance, have a "connection" which transcends the normal laws of physics and nature.

These items become one after their initial "setting". They come to know one another in such a way that replacing one, without the other, will never work 100%. Meaning yes, the part will work/run/function but never as it once did. It's almost a supernatural connection between two mechanical parts.

That was very inspiring.
mtsipe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

Engine rebuild update. It took some work to get the one piston moving but since I went that far, why not dig deeper. Here is my engine disassembled.

My one concern is the following which is on the oil pan port ring of the case. It is missing metal from the ring and I am unsure if it is usable/fixable or should be replaced.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

That's from water, degrease and let's look at it again. Doesn't look that bad seen worse and seen it work. Not ideal but what the hell. Very Happy

I'd buy a couple cans of easy off and head to the car wash, not everyone can do this I know because of zoning and candy ass environment concerns.
mtsipe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

Feeling excited. 1600cc longblock rebuilt. My machinist was dragging his feet but finally got it done. Maybe ill be able to drop that top before i know it. Im hoping for no hiccups. Fingers are crossed that everything else on the car is in decent shape(brakes, suspension, etc).

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: