Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How old is *your* battery?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: How old is *your* battery? Reply with quote

In the prep work for a couple of projects, I had cause to pull my battery from its lair under the passenger seat. Getting it out was a bear, since some vandals stole the handle. Had to hoist it carefully by the terminals. It's very snug: the positive terminal gets in the way which made things a little sketchy. I have a nice thick webbed strap to go under it when I put it back.

This is the state of the battery box. Not too bad, just dusty.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had been wondering how old this battery is, as there are no date stamps I can see from the top.

Shocked

Wow. That's most likely from when the PO, once removed, had the van refitted — TiiCo swap and various bits of cleanup. So my PO never put a new battery in it in his tenure.

It still cranks hard so I guess it stays.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How old is *your* battery? Reply with quote

I have a very very old battery terminal lift strap.. has two metal round ends that fit on terminals and leather strap joining them.. its how you lift them in and out..
And .. being 14 years old.. I would replace it before long.. even tho its doing its job.. that is pretty old..
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How old is *your* battery? Reply with quote

vwjetboat wrote:
I have a very very old battery terminal lift strap.. has two metal round ends that fit on terminals and leather strap joining them.. its how you lift them in and out.

There was a strap, from what I can tell. I guess it was removed after the battery was installed (yeah, thanks for that, fella).

vwjetboat wrote:
And .. being 14 years old.. I would replace it before long.. even tho its doing its job.. that is pretty old..

On the list, for sure. It seems to be doing OK, as long as it's maintained (the solar panel/charge controller seem to be doing a good job there). I have to get a battery for my other vehicle first: it is not as old as this one but is definitely on it's last legs. If this one dies, I have the aux battery to get a jump from, if I need it.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How old is *your* battery? Reply with quote

Some battery manufacturers put a date stamp on top of the battery terminal, some "brand" it into the top of the case.

But yes, 14 years is mighty old!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How old is *your* battery? Reply with quote

this kind of lift strap.. is what I am talking about. Something in ya keep in tool box ..

http://offroaddownunder.com.au/product/projecta-battery-carrying-strap/
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How old is *your* battery? Reply with quote

I'll use this piece of strapping and leave it looped under the battery for now. It will make a heckuva lot easier to reinstall and when the time comes to replace it, I'll be glad to have it.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How old is *your* battery? Reply with quote

A pair of vice grips on the terminals works super-good for removing a battery where the strap has gone missing.

As for a 14 year-old battery: well done keeping it in good condition but it will fail soon, possibly this winter. It's a matter of choosing to replace it when it's convenient or possibly having it fail when it's inconvenient or unsafe. These are the gambles we make. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How old is *your* battery? Reply with quote

I wouldn't bother to reinstall a 14 year old battery as it is long past its normal life. Years ago I had a 13 year old classic Sears Diehart battery fail on a hot summer's day, it's life just done. I would feel real happy today if I could be 8 years out of any available battery.

Finding a new battery can take a while these days as the size VW used is not available just anywhere any more.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How old is *your* battery? Reply with quote

Last replacement I got a size T5 from Wal*Mart:

Quite a bit smaller than what I had before, esp in the length - used a piece of wood to fill the space.

650 CCA seems to work for me.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How old is *your* battery? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
A pair of vice grips on the terminals works super-good for removing a battery where the strap has gone missing.

That's exactly what I used, that and a pair of pliers. I didn't care for the experience. But it worked.

So the consensus is that I need a new battery in the familiar "while you're in there" mode?

Hmm. That makes two I need to buy this week. The other one I am concerned with is in much worse shape (gets driven less but I doubt it's older: couldn't see the date on it either). On the upside I may end up with more room to install that battery cutoff…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How old is *your* battery? Reply with quote

I bought a "lifetime" battery from Canadian Tire in 1987. It is on it's fifth replacement in my Jetta TDI. Well worth the $140.00 I spent on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: How old is *your* battery? Reply with quote

BatteriesPlus carries a Group 41 500 CCA battery for $115.

FLAPS has this one (650CCA) for $125.

Walmart is out…we don't have them here. Costco, if I was a member…?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How old is *your* battery? Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
BatteriesPlus carries a Group 41 500 CCA battery for $115.

FLAPS has this one (650CCA) for $125.

Walmart is out…we don't have them here. Costco, if I was a member…?

I paid $117 in April at Courtesy Tire in West Seattle for an AC Delco branded battery that looks just like the FLAPs battery in the pic. I replaced the 8 year old battery due to age, not due to it not cranking. I figured after 8 years it was time for a replacement. I guess I coulda gone another 6 years! Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: How old is *your* battery? Reply with quote

My stock T4 battery ran 13 years, in New England.
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How old is *your* battery? Reply with quote

I just bought a group 41 from PepBoys. It is a 650 CCA from Bosch. It was $118 but they gave me a promo code which was good for $25 off.

The bad news is that it didn't have straps either, I had to fashion some from a couple of cheap battery terminal connectors and a strap cut from another old battery.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How old is *your* battery? Reply with quote

I replaced my battery in 2016, found an exact match from Napa, and the only gripe I have is that it did not have a strap handle. I cut several lengths of webbing that I used to lower it and leave in place for when I need to pull it. I didn't think the price was that bad, and they had it for me in about 2 days.
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: How old is *your* battery? Reply with quote

I had no luck at Costco's in the Tacoma/Seattle area. I found this at a Baxter in Tacoma and was happy with the warranty, cca, and reserve 25 more cca and 5 more ca than the exide Group 41 that lasted ridiculously long pictured on the left and with a 110 reserve. Left the homemade straps on. 40 month free replacement. I checked mutiple Costco's, multiple WMs, every auto parts store, a few tire shops, Sears, and Batteries plus in the Tac/Sea area this was the best one I could find for a great price as well.

700 CCA 840 CA 110 Reserve 40RX and I think I had a $20 rebate!
Fits perfectly in the battery box under the swivel passenger seat 91 Westfalia

Now seeing these exides more and more places as well.

Waldemar Sikorski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: How old is *your* battery? Reply with quote

I have mine since 2006.
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How old is *your* battery? Reply with quote

Mine is more than 10 years old
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: