Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Added Keyless entry to my 93 EV for $17, easy installation.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Added Keyless entry to my 93 EV for $17, easy installation. Reply with quote

I thought I'd share this, I bought a keyless entry controller from Amazon.com for $17 prime, it works great and was easy to install.

Here is a link to the Docooler keyless entry controller I bought.

The only connector you need to access is a 4-way right by the fuse panel coming out of the driver's door. It has a Red/Yellow/White/Brown wire. The vehicle harness wires are as follows:

Red= Constant power
Brown = Ground
Yellow = 12v pulse to trigger the lock
White = 12v pulse to trigger unlock

The door locks will lock/Unlock based on a +12v pulse on the Yellow or White wire accordingly.

This door controller is simply a wireless controller for two relays, and also has two output wires if you want your flashers to blink but I didn't use them.

I simply tied one wire from each of the controllers lock/unlock circuits (the yellow and the Yellow with black stripe) and the Red, to the red wire in the Van's harness. This provides power to the controller, and each of the relays.

Then I spliced the other halves of the controller relays into the Yellow and White wires of the Van's harness. I did not interrupt the original circuits, I simply piggy backed these on. To splice the wires in, I cut the wire in the harness and then patched it back together using a crimp connector while also inserting the trigger wire from the controller in the splice connector as seen in my image. These are heat shrinkable sleeves on the crimps too, I do not like or advise using the 3M "scotch lock" splices, they can be unreliable.

Yellow from the controller to White in the Van's harness to trigger Lock
White/black from the controller to White in the Van's harness to trigger Unlock

For the ground, I connected it to an open ground post near by.

Here is a picture, you can see the connections and the module is just tucked down on the left.

Awesome addition for $17!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is a picture of the Docooler remote keyless entry module provided by Amazon.com

Last edited by markcm2 on Sun May 01, 2016 10:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Added Keyless entry to my 93 EV for $17, easy installation. Reply with quote

Beautiful mod!

I'll be ordering this for my 91 Carat with power locks on Monday

Thanks for info

Cheers
Gruppe B
visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Added Keyless entry to my 93 EV for $17, easy installation. Reply with quote

Awesome mod! Bookmarked - I'd like to do this one at some point - thanks for posting.
emagin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Added Keyless entry to my 93 EV for $17, easy installation. Reply with quote

Hi Markcm2, asesome mod.
So I have a question: I have a 93 EV weekender.
My door locks seem to be 'manual' - I have to lift the little black knobs to unlock from inside.
I don't see what will activate the lock/unlock mechanism.
Is your setup different or am I missing something basic here.
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Duvivr6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Added Keyless entry to my 93 EV for $17, easy installation. Reply with quote

Just installed this in my 2003 Van, wiring looked a littlw different but it was color coded the same. Works like a charm. I did ground straight to the harness.

Thanks
Duvi
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Added Keyless entry to my 93 EV for $17, easy installation. Reply with quote

emagin wrote:
Hi Markcm2, asesome mod.
So I have a question: I have a 93 EV weekender.
My door locks seem to be 'manual' - I have to lift the little black knobs to unlock from inside.
I don't see what will activate the lock/unlock mechanism.
Is your setup different or am I missing something basic here.
Thanks

Possibly different. Mine were power, if I locked/unlocked any door the others would also lock/unlock, although I did not have a factory remote.
zugvogel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Added Keyless entry to my 93 EV for $17, easy installation. Reply with quote

Thank you! This is a great find, I already received the remote and will install it in the next few days. Thank you for the detailed instructions!
scottz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Added Keyless entry to my 93 EV for $17, easy installation. Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this! It's on the list!
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Added Keyless entry to my 93 EV for $17, easy installation. Reply with quote

I bought mine from rclick, to have key and remote together.

https://www.rclick.co.uk/index.php?cPath=50
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zugvogel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Added Keyless entry to my 93 EV for $17, easy installation. Reply with quote

>Yellow from the controller to White in the Van's harness to trigger Lock
>White/black from the controller to White in the Van's harness to trigger Unlock

I think the first one should be
White from the controller to Yellow in the Van's harness to trigger Lock
lucksp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Added Keyless entry to my 93 EV for $17, easy installation. Reply with quote

I just got a 95 Eurovan...with a single key. So i need spares Laughing

And how do I know if my 1995 Eurovan has the power entry already installed, requiring only a kit?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Added Keyless entry to my 93 EV for $17, easy installation. Reply with quote

Open your slider door and look for the brass contacts like in this pic:

That's a Vanagon, but EVs are similar. If so, then you'll know the van was originally equipped with PDLs, but they've probably died.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Added Keyless entry to my 93 EV for $17, easy installation. Reply with quote

lucksp wrote:
I just got a 95 Eurovan...with a single key. So i need spares Laughing

And how do I know if my 1995 Eurovan has the power entry already installed, requiring only a kit?

In our van, if you manually locked/unlocked the driver door, the other doors would also lock/unlock.
GenXer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Added Keyless entry to my 93 EV for $17, easy installation. Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread but I would love to do this. Any updates from anyone who has done this?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GenXer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Added Keyless entry to my 93 EV for $17, easy installation. Reply with quote

Well I pulled the plug and bought a keyless entry system but man am I lost in the wires. It looked fairly simply in the post so I figure I've done something wrong and hoping someone can take a look and guide me back to the right direction. Arrrrggggghhh!

I went to Amazon and bought a Keyless Entry system similar to the OPs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JWF5GCS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

After reading the original post a few times and reading the instructions, I felt like I had a plan to get this wired in.

I cut the red wire from the harness (power) and then I piggybacked the red power wire from the KES (Keyless Entry System) to the red and then reconnected the red. Sounds easy but it's tight space but I eventually got it done.

Then I piggybacked the white KES wire to the yellow and reconnected them.

I piggybacked the white black KES wire to the white and reconnected them.

I took the KES Brown (Ground) and put it to bare metal. I didn't want to do anything with it permanent until I knew I had it right.

Nada.

I experimented with some different wire combinations like adding the white and the yellow (KES) wires to the yellow to see if that would work. I got nothing.

Finally realizing that i was getting nowhere, I decided to come back to the source and see if someone here can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarLoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Added Keyless entry to my 93 EV for $17, easy installation. Reply with quote

GenXer, were you ever able to get this to work? I'm interested in doing the same mod. Is it possible the red wire you connected to was the side from the door solenoid instead of the side from power?

Just curious.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Added Keyless entry to my 93 EV for $17, easy installation. Reply with quote

Mine has been working for a good 5 years. No promises, but I’ll try and pull my wires to see how I’m connected.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KRJoye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Added Keyless entry to my 93 EV for $17, easy installation. Reply with quote

I bought the same Decooler type kit from a Ebay seller for my 04 Rialta(03 Eurovan Cab). Can't wait to install it because it only came with one valet chip key. If you wanted to hook up the `flasher lights' what wires are involved and where do you splice in?
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Added Keyless entry to my 93 EV for $17, easy installation. Reply with quote

I've been thinking about getting one of these for my 2003 MV and now I think I'll pull the trigger on one and make a YouTube video of the install. Smile

EDIT: The link provided shows none in stock. Not surprised as this happens on Amazon a lot.
I opted for this one instead:
https://www.amazon.com/FICBOX-Universal-Vehicle-Keyless-Central/dp/B01HB5M5R2
KRJoye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Added Keyless entry to my 93 EV for $17, easy installation. Reply with quote

Just completed installing Keyless Entry. So Happy thanks to contributors on this thread!

I just added a similar cheap Ebay Keyless Entry Fob kit to my 2004 QD. The kit i bought just comes with the controller module, harness and 2 Key Fobs for 17 bucks shipped from Asia. https://www.ebay.com/itm/125624286214
I installed mine on the drivers side after dropping down the fuse block. Located the 4 wire (White, Yellow Red & Brown) drivers door lock module harness coming out of the door going in back of the fuse block. After splicing & fitting wires per instructions above i hit the learn button in the module opening for a few seconds until it made a few clicking sounds. The 3 central door lock units took a few cycles all sync up and then it worked! Make sure your in the vehicle with the doors closed when all syncing is happening. Wires connections were soldered and shrink tube wrapped.

Just to reiterate above Rialta/Eurovan install instructions with a few added tips

On the Ebay controller
-Combine the controller Red, Yellow and Yellow/Black for 12VDC+ Power source(I used mid gauge hot pre ignition Red power wire on front right side of fuse block)
-White on controller goes to Yellow (lock) in the vehicle harness
-White/Black on the controller goes to White (unlock) on the vehicle harness
-Black goes to ground (Soldered to a loop connector and attached it to lower outside corner I/P knee bolster nut).
-Orange wires on controller are not used
-After all connections are made press down the sync button in controller until it clicks a few times. Make sure all vehicle doors are all closed, then operate the fobs until locks sync
-Permanently solder and seal wire connections
-Locate the module in to a permanent secure place and tie strap in, secure all loose wires also
-Brown wires go to flasher light source(optional)
-Green wire was for trunk release(optional)

K.R.Joye
2004 Rialta QD
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: