Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch Cable Confusion
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Clutch Cable Confusion Reply with quote

The end of my clutch cable touches the firewall, actually, the rubber firewall channel. It's the proper length for my 1974 Super Beetle, but is it it possible that the PO installed the longer clutch arm, and that's why it does this?

I do have the long clutch arm, by the way. I don't know if the '74's came with the longer ones, or not. But it seems strange that the threads end of the clutch cable should make contact with the firewall channel.

Since installing the cable, I've always had a slight tap sound when quickly releasing the clutch, but I decided to give the clutch pedal a little more freeplay a few weeks ago. Previously, i had it to 3/8 freeplay. But I decided that Bently had been a little off with this measurement, so I readjusted to 3/4 inch freeplay. That was when the tapping noise got worse. I could still deal with that, but while on a little road trip this past weekend, I pressed down on the clutch pedal, and for a second, the pedal didn't quite come back up all the way. The last few inches seemed to gang up--only for a second. Then the pedal returned to its normal height. Even my wife, who was sitting in the passenger seat, noticed it. It was almost as though the return spring had suddenly broken, then just as suddenly repaired itself.

Anyone else have this happen? Did you whack off some of the end of the cable?

Take into account that I recently replaced the clutch driven disc, but I put everything back together perfectly, and I did not mess with the TO bearing at all, except to spin the face while checking for grit, etc.

Also, this ganging up only occurred this once, although, after checking the clutch arm, spring, and cable, it's still evident that the end of the cable makes contact with the firewall front seal channel.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Cable Confusion Reply with quote

Did you change the flex tube . Would it help to put more bend in the tube .
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Cable Confusion Reply with quote

There is plenty of bend in the tube.

I think I've found what's wrong. The clutch cable I installed a few years ago was 2281 mm long. It always seemed too long to me, and it did touch the firewall channel a little bit. But this cable is advertised by all the vendors as fitting bugs and Super Beetles made from 1972 through April of 1974. My SB was made in February of 1974, so this cable was supposed to fit. Although, it always did make a little tapping noise if I let off the clutch quickly.

When I adjusted the clutch to a proper 3/4 freeplay, the threaded end made moved even closer to the firewall front seal channel; so much so that I believe the threads sometimes grab the bottom edge of the channel--at least once on my recent road trip, preventing the free movement of the clutch pedal (actually, in this case, the end of the cable simply went above the edge of the channel and got hung up).

The next shortest cable is for bugs and Super Beetles made from May of 1974 through '77 or ''79. This cable is 2268 mm, which is 13 mm shorter than the one that's supposed to fit my car. However, this difference in length is about 1/2 inch shorter, and I believe this cable is obviously what I need.

I know for a fact that my car was made in the time period where the longer cable is required, but I suspect that perhaps the PO may have switched the clutch arm for one of a different length, or perhaps he changed the Bowden tube with a shorter one.

I could buy another Bowden tube in the hope that that's the issue, but I'm just looking for about a half-inch difference, and that may not be the problem, anyway; so I'm going to install the shorter cable and see where I am.

The pisser is that I just had the pedal assembly out recently to install an X-celerator 2 gas pedal upgrade. But, although I could accept a little tapping noise if I let out the clutch too fast, I certainly don't want the clutch pedal not to go back into its upright position again.

I'll keep you guys posted with the results.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Cable Confusion Reply with quote

I think I'd try the slightly shorter cable too.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Cable Confusion Reply with quote

Maybe I'm not getting the picture here..can't you just Dremel off 1/2 inch!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Cable Confusion Reply with quote

He could, but he'd lose 1/2 of the threaded end of the cable.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Cable Confusion Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Maybe I'm not getting the picture here..can't you just Dremel off 1/2 inch!

vamram wrote:

True. But this way he could just do this and deal with the shorter cable in the future.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Cable Confusion Reply with quote

vamram wrote:

I was confronted with this same thing. Seems 74 year uses two different cable lengths and you order by chassis number. I got the longer cable where I should have got the shorter one, result? Wingnut is screwed in too far despite fact that clutch disc is nearly new, it's a situation I need to correct someday because I will run out of adjustment from wear and stretch eventually. Very Happy
sawed off
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Cable Confusion Reply with quote

Same problem here with my 1977. I actaully had to make spacer at the wing nut to take out free play. I ran out of thread, the wing nut bottomed out, thats why I made spacer so cutting off excess doesnt work. I will be removing my cable also and do some measuring. My cable also makes contact with the firewall.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Cable Confusion Reply with quote

The last few posts tell it like it is: at 3/8 inch freeplay, I was already close to running out of thread. 3/4 inch and I had more thread for future adjustments, but not much. I may as well install the proper cable now and be done with it.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Cable Confusion Reply with quote

I use the short cable and short plastic end bowden tube in my 74 chassie bug. and..the long arm too. you may need to raise the/ change the angle of the trans bracket.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Cable Confusion Reply with quote

Today, I simply changed the 2281 mm cable for a 2268 mm. Problem solved.

But this goes to show that common wisdom is not always correct. My car was made in February of 1974. It should have taken the 2281 mm cable, but that cable was always too long. The one I just installed today was for bugs May of 1974 and on. But that's the one I needed. Clutch works fine. No tapping noise, no ganging up.

I really wouldn't want to do this job on the side of the road. I pulled the seat, the pedal cluster, etc. It's a pain while doing in the garage on a nice day. I can't imagine the stress on the side of the road.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: