Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ID on NOS Stebro Free Flow Exhaust for 356?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Old Barn Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: ID on NOS Stebro Free Flow Exhaust for 356? Reply with quote

I'm cleaning out the aged inventory of a service station that dates back to the 1940s. I came across this Stebro exhaust which, based on the cardboard protectors around the pipe tips, appears to be NOS. The repair shop owner tells me it fits a 356 but isn't sure of the specific application. Can anyone give me any idea of what models this would be fitted to? Any idea of value of such an item?

From center of mounting stud to center of mounting stud:19 1/8"
From outside edge of heater pipe to outside edge of heater pipe: 25 3/8"
Exhaust pipes from tip to muffler are 13"

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Regards,
Tom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: ID on NOS Stebro Free Flow Exhaust for 356? Reply with quote

Just a guess but looks like pre A 1500. NOS $1000.00 min.
Old Barn Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: ID on NOS Stebro Free Flow Exhaust for 356? Reply with quote

Starbucket: Thanks for the information. Much appreciated! Any pre-A experts in the forum you are aware of that I might query further?

Regards,
Tom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: ID on NOS Stebro Free Flow Exhaust for 356? Reply with quote

My brother had one of these on his '63 when he bought it in 1973, so I'm thinking it will fit anything with stale air heaters from 1955-on.

Stebros generate the most badass sound one can extract from a 356. Too bad they literally rust out overnight.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: ID on NOS Stebro Free Flow Exhaust for 356? Reply with quote

They are in Canada and still make SS exhausts (probably because of the rust out) not sure if they make 356 anymore. 1600 exhaust ports are more vertical where his exhaust flange is at an angle (80 deg.?) that's why I guessed 1500. If you want loud you want Stebro.
Old Barn Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: ID on NOS Stebro Free Flow Exhaust for 356? Reply with quote

Starbucket: Your last message sent me back to the muffler to check out the angle of the mounting flange. While the exhaust inlet pipe does have a slight angle to it, the flange itself is perpendicular and matches the heater pipes below. Is this what you meant by flange angle?

I looked at some of the other pictures of 356 mufflers in the Gallery but all seemed different from this one, especially in the flange area, where the others seemed to have a larger mating surface. Also many of the tail pipes had a downward curve to them as they exited the muffler, while these exit straight out the back.

Regards,
Tom
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: ID on NOS Stebro Free Flow Exhaust for 356? Reply with quote

By angular I meant the two holes on the flange are not vertical. If you measure the distance between the two bottom holes and the two top holes the bottom holes look like the distance is shorter where the 1600 are the same. Might just be the angle you took the pic. at.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: ID on NOS Stebro Free Flow Exhaust for 356? Reply with quote

My top holes measure 19 1/2" lower holes 19 1/4" and it is a 1600.
Old Barn Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: ID on NOS Stebro Free Flow Exhaust for 356? Reply with quote

Center-to-center on upper and lower bolt holes are identical, both are 19 1/8 inches. That's a significant difference from the measurement you have for your 1600. So does that make this likely an exhaust from a 1500?
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: ID on NOS Stebro Free Flow Exhaust for 356? Reply with quote

Old Barn Guy wrote:
Center-to-center on upper and lower bolt holes are identical, both are 19 1/8 inches. That's a significant difference from the measurement you have for your 1600. So does that make this likely an exhaust from a 1500?

I have shims under the Cyl to lower the compression as I have a big bore kit and I like to run Hi test leaded gas from the Indians I buy on their res. So mine are stretched a little but I was giving you a measurement to see if yours were lined up or close. I would say 1100 or 1300 might be per-A the book doesn't give that measurement.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: ID on NOS Stebro Free Flow Exhaust for 356? Reply with quote

The cylinder base shims used with the NPR big bore kit are .070 thick, so the distance between the exhaust ports is .140 greater than stock.

My brother's Stebro didn't fit well and we ended up using multiple gaskets, which partially fixed the leak at the heads, but not completely.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: