Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VJR 4 BR 18 Distributor
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: VJR 4 BR 18 Distributor Reply with quote

I'm trying to find more information about this distributor type
VRJ 4 BR 18. Will it give better performance on a 30hp engine with a pecco supercharger, etc. Thank you Dave
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: VJR 4 BR 18 Distributor Reply with quote

It could, if it's in good working order. The VJ 4 BR 18 was originally installed on 1957- 1963 Porsche 356. It delivers close to a full 30 degrees of advance so you'll want to static time at top dead center.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: VJR 4 BR 18 Distributor Reply with quote

The BR18 is not suitable for a VW engine... too much advance and too aggressive a curve.

You want a 010 (0231 129 010). I've sold a number of 010s to customers with Judson, Pecco and Schrock super chargers.

Judson
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Schrock

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: VJR 4 BR 18 Distributor Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Schrock

Schrock??

Had to look that up in the "Urban Dictionary" Wink

So the MAG supercharger does it for you Glenn. Laughing
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: VJR 4 BR 18 Distributor Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Schrock??

Had to look that up in the "Urban Dictionary" Wink

So the MAG supercharger does it for you Glenn. Laughing

D'oh....

Link

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: VJR 4 BR 18 Distributor Reply with quote

Hi there, I know Glenn is very knowledgeable regarding distributors... but...

I do run a BR18 on my 1192cc WW okrasa engine and runs perfectly, I use it as a daily driver, go on holidays / meetings so long roadtrips, and it does not run hot and you can cruise perfectly. It has about 10 degrees before top dead centre static timing and pulls very nice, and do have a good MPG on it as well, and I drive it like I stole it. It is dyno'd and has 58 SAE HP.

So it will run very well on a VW motor (also runs on a porsche motor so why not on a VW engine)

Specs stolen from the internet:

VJR 4 BR18: The unit provided a total of approximately 15 degrees advance at 1500 rpm as measured at the distributor, 30 degrees at 3000 rpm at the crankshaft.

the so called famous 010: providing approximately 10 degrees advance at 1400 rpm as measured at the distributor, 20 degrees at 2800 rpm at the crankshaft.

So yes, it is more agressive but if I was you I really would give it a try, you will be surprised! Of course you can also follow the route everyone takes, what you like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: VJR 4 BR 18 Distributor Reply with quote

I agree wtih you JeeWee but, I would closely monitor that VW engine temperature with this distributor installed at 10 degrees BTDC static giving you 40 degrees of spark advance.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: VJR 4 BR 18 Distributor Reply with quote

The BR18 has 31-32* advance, measured at engine speed. that means if you want a total of 32* the static timing is at 0*. First off that will be a bit hard when starting. Also at idle (700rpm) it's already advanced.

What you're doing is chopping off the first 1/3 of the curve.

If you time it at 7.5* at idle it will run HOT on the highway.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: VJR 4 BR 18 Distributor Reply with quote

maybe I am wrong about the static timing... have to check that tomorrow, but for sure it does not run hot on the highway where i normally run 60-65 mph, have done quite some highway already during roadtrips and am monitoring the temperature closely... so let me come back on the static timing.

I have had the distributor checked on an old school sun distributor timing machine and it was indeed spot on 32 degrees advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: