Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

sliding door seal orientation
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pgtips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: sliding door seal orientation Reply with quote

Hi,

Couple of Qs about seals/rubbers in general and my sliding door seal.
1975 lhd bay
I offered it up last night to fit it (new sliding door rubber) , pushed it in all around and noticed its got a slightly different profile each side.

Its not a true square so I can only be 180 degrees out.

Best way to describe it, one side has got a 'flap' bit of rubber, the other doesn't.

If this is making any sense could someone tell me, does the 'flap' side seat/go on the hinge side or the lock side.

Pic below of the 'flap' side and other side. The Q is which one goes on the hinge side and which one on the lock side

The flap profile (currently fitted on the hinge side
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and the other side that I put running down the lock/handle side

My second Q is the rubbers seat nicely but do you also glue them into place. Probably answers my own Q but I can't see as it would hurt to bond or tack it in for extra holding.

Thanks

Kevin
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you have it in right, the longer flap goes at the back and both face forward, how's it look with the door closed? any hanging out?

Unfortunately none of the replacement seals have exactly the right profile on all the sides, some seem to be blurred into a one profile fits all compromise. At least yours is put together right, I got one a few weeks ago that was assembled 1/2 backwards or inside out, had to cut it apart and reglue it together in the right order.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
pgtips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BD (as always) ,

I haven't fully closed it yet, taking it slowly, I noticed when I gently pushed it together there looked like some creasing on the top rhs corner above the lock (mines a LHD) but that might be due to it not being fully seated in the groove yet. I need to tweak the lock and the catch is not locating as smoothly as I'd like, it engages ok but doesn't meet the locating pin cleanly and I'm out of adjustment on that.

It looks to me like my catch needs to be shimmed up a couple of mm to nicely locate the plastic locating pin inside the cover.

Thanks again,
Kev
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mygreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Looks like you have it in right, the longer flap goes at the back and both face forward, how's it look with the door closed? any hanging out?

Unfortunately none of the replacement seals have exactly the right profile on all the sides, some seem to be blurred into a one profile fits all compromise. At least yours is put together right, I got one a few weeks ago that was assembled 1/2 backwards or inside out, had to cut it apart and reglue it together in the right order.

I love search. And the same knucklehead must have out my seal together as Busdaddy. My old seal was so shot I had no idea how to orient it nor figure out that the flap on mine is glued in backwards.
Sage79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed my Bus Depot seal the only way I could see that made any sense It seems to work just fine but there is a flap facing forward hanging out a bit when the door is closed. At the back there's a nice clean bead just visible. So you are saying the vertical pieces were assembled wrong from the manufacturer?
'77 delux 2.0FI 090Auto - now my son's
mygreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sage79 wrote:
I installed my Bus Depot seal the only way I could see that made any sense It seems to work just fine but there is a flap facing forward hanging out a bit when the door is closed. At the back there's a nice clean bead just visible. So you are saying the vertical pieces were assembled wrong from the manufacturer?

I am saying on my piece, the flap was installed backwards, flap facing back. The flap goes to the read of the bus.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm..., been a couple O months since I did it but IIRC the rear flap was facing back instead of forward and the longer flap was on the front instead of the rear.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Sliding door seal orientation Reply with quote

To link to this post copy and paste
Code:
[url=https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8577515#8577515]Sliding door seal orientation[/url]

Thanks to all that posted information!

Top has two lips / Bottom has one lip
Left longer Vert flap faces forward / Right two lips
As pictured
Left

Right

Note seals come in many different profiles from Mnf. to Mnf.
thnx mayor ratwell
Top/Right Note two lips on Top
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/SlidingDoor.html

Top/Left Note double lip on top

Top/Right

Left

Bottom/right

So to conclude
-----------------------[------- Top has two lips--------]
Left longer Vert flap |----------------------------------|Right two lips
-----------------------[-----Bottom has one lip--------]

Good luck
Tcash
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: sliding door seal orientation Reply with quote

the Brazilian seals don't fit well. The German ones like the original, with gray with talc on them usually work well. If it is a Brazilian seal one side is way too long and one side is the wrong profile to fit a 70's bay properly. That was my experience. When I got the right one it went in as easy as it was replacing the one on my 1971. Clipped right in and worked the first time.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=335025&highlight=sliding+door+seal

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: