Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor shaft popping out
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor popping out Reply with quote

Oh wow! I'll pull it again tonight and double check, but don't think that's the issue in this case. We'll see.

1973 Westfalia
"Getting better....one repair at a time."

Other VW's owned through the years, in no particular order:
'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor popping out Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
Sometimes even on original clamps that have been over tightened the clamp stays flat but the 10 mm od bolt starts to bend making proper tightening impossible which results in more tightening/ bending required...

hazetguy wrote:
it's a type 4 engine.

any pics of a tye 4 clamp with this distortion? they are not really known for doing that. possible, sure, but not very common in my personal experience.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor popping out Reply with quote

Another thing to consider is the shaft end play. If the felt washer is gone and the dist. drive bore is deep. It could be just enough for the dist drive to disengage.
Go down to "missing fiber washer"
http://thegoodvolks.proboards.com/thread/6830/distributor-refresh

If the fiber washer is there and the dist. end play is within .005"-.008"
Install the dist. and pull up on the rotor and twist. If the dist. drive disengages.
It may be possible that you have the thinner Type 1 0.6mm dist. drive gear washer. Versus the 1.3mm Type 4 washer.
You would need to remove the washer and measure it.

If the washer is right, but the bore is deep. There are a couple of ways to deal with this.
1. Install an extra Type 1 washer
2. Have the dist. mounting lip machined so the dist. sits deeper in the bore.

Good luck
Tcash
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft popping out Reply with quote

I know you guys have been waiting ALL day to know the possible culprit...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looks like I may have tightened the hex clamp prior to the distributor hold down causing a small gap so that it wouldn't seat fully. Maybe 1/16". I'm hoping that's the issue, so we'll try this again.

BTW, unless China has started stamping their's with Germany and Bosch, I think this is the real deal. Wink[/img]

1973 Westfalia

'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft popping out Reply with quote

Ask Glenn but I think you need a new fiber washer and also a new oil seal on that puppy.
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft popping out Reply with quote

Looks like that was it. That small little gap. ::palm hitting head ::

Def will look at if the fiber washer needs to be added. Prep to move so was trying to get her running instead of towing.

Sounds pretty good consider setting the initial timing by ear. Wink

Link

1973 Westfalia

'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft popping out Reply with quote

It's been awhile but now at new home. Had to have her towed because I couldn't get it started at the time. Not sure if because the temperature was starting to dip or if the points have slipped.

I did find that the points screw had stripped so went with a slightly larger screw. And it may have slipped.

Question is this...is it possible to only purchase the top plate? If not, do I have to find another 205P and use the plate from it?

Thanks

1973 Westfalia

'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft popping out Reply with quote

You could use a donor plate, or look into RiviNut systems. I have five or six plates with stripped holes that I’ll be fixing with that system.

Good luck,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft popping out Reply with quote

I'll sell you a fiber washer for $1.

Sometimes distributors are hard to push into place with the big O-rings. Bosch makes some nicer ones that are beveled and easier to use.

Replace the fiber washer at the bottom and check the play as soon as you can. All that up and down movement isn't good. There's another fiber washer at the top that can be damaged as well.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft popping out Reply with quote

Don't know how current this website ad is. As it mentions there, they also have a cheaper version, if ya dare:

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Distributor-Poi...5227C.html

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft popping out Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
Don't know how current this website ad is. As it mentions there, they also have a cheaper version, if ya dare:

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Distributor-Poi...5227C.html

They use the same identical picture for both????
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft popping out Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
You could use a donor plate, or look into RiviNut systems. I have five or six plates with stripped holes that I’ll be fixing with that system.

Good luck,
Robbie

could be wrong, but I don't think a rivnut would work here.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft popping out Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

Good luck,
Robbie

could be wrong, but I don't think a rivnut would work here.

I agree, more often than not the lower plate has a thin curved slot to allow the end of the screw to pass, the fatness of a Rivnut may bind it up. I have used a self threading screw with a machine thread on it (teck screw?) in the past to cut new threads slightly larger and then remove the screw and grind off the surplus drill like tip so very little sticks out the bottom of the plate. The screws found on/in electrical junction boxes at Home depot are often self tapping and short as well, some could be slightly larger than the stripped screw and serve as an oversized donor. I'm not recommending robbing a screw from a shelf display (your personal morals weigh in here), but buying a box for the screw is sometimes cheaper than buying a package of 5 when you only need one.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft popping out Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
I'll sell you a fiber washer for $1.

Sometimes distributors are hard to push into place with the big O-rings. Bosch makes some nicer ones that are beveled and easier to use.

Replace the fiber washer at the bottom and check the play as soon as you can. All that up and down movement isn't good. There's another fiber washer at the top that can be damaged as well.

Thanks, but got that problem solved with it popping out. That was on me.

Different concern now with the overall health of the distributor and the top plate. But definltely will look at the washer replacement after I figure out about getting a donor dizzy.

1973 Westfalia

'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft popping out Reply with quote

Really looking for a recommended new top plate or donor distributor option.

What other distributors could I look for that would use the same top plate as a 205P? There is another 205p in the classifieds, however, after investigating, looks like it was rebuilt by Beck Arnley which doesnt have the best reputation for VW distributors, from what I gather.

Wish I could afford to have it rebuilt by one of the regulars, but just cant afford it.

I see here(http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ignition.htm#B7679) that the 205S is listed alongside the 205P but not sure if that means they are the same or or a workable equivalent.

1973 Westfalia

'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft popping out Reply with quote

I’m away from home at the moment so can’t look at my cores but there were two assembly designs from that time period. One design like those on the “009” have a pinched spot on the housing and can be a pain to remove. The other second design has the plate held by two screws much easier to work with. Both designs used the same points plate. I could send you one but it will be awhile. Making funeral arrangements for family.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft popping out Reply with quote

I'm really sorry about the death in your family. That is such a difficult situation at times. We had a death in our family just over Christmas. Never comes at a good time.

No rush. Would be glad to pay you for it. She's been sitting for 2 months and lots of picture hanging right now with the different home(if you know what i mean) Wink

1973 Westfalia

'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft popping out Reply with quote

barefootwestie wrote:

I see here(http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ignition.htm#B7679) that the 205S is listed alongside the 205P but not sure if that means they are the same or or a workable equivalent.

They are very close to being identical. I think it was decided that one originally came with a speed limiting rotor and the other did not.

I would guess that over a wide range of distributors with the same rotation and using the same set of points that there are only going to be 2-3f different styles of plates. Don't know how interchangeable they would be though.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft popping out Reply with quote

Either of those pivot breaker plates will work, whether it's the early 1971 DVDA style like a 205AN, 205AJ or mid 70's style like the 034.

I "think" it was 1974 when the pivot breaker plate design changed. It has the lead wear guides between the two plates and the rotator guide ball is a compression spring clip vs. the clip being secured with a screw like in 1971-1973.

I prefer the earlier 1971 style.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft popping out Reply with quote

Exactly

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: