Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

i think i have a/c but im not sure
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Criswell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:17 am    Post subject: i think i have a/c but im not sure Reply with quote

i have a 75 westy and behind the sink is an opening and in it is 2 blower motor wheels, i was just looking through the gallery, and i found several busses which have a big plastic snorkel looking thing coming up off this opening with little vents , and they all say about it being a/c , on mine teh snorkel is missing . i thought maybe it was an aux heater when i bought it till i was just roaming the gallery . any input would be appreciated.
thanks
mike
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have vents posted on the inside roof of the car? Is there a A/C on the dash? Is there a big canaster AC in the engine compartment? If you anwsered yes to these ?'s - then you have AC.
Criswell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my cabinet looks like this, minus the black "snorkel" with vents, would the compressor be in the cabinet on this version or should it be back on the engine run off of a belt . i do not have a compressor on my engine, i thought perhaps it was some kind of dealer installed item that was self contained , similar to a house unit
Criswell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops like this https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/67064.jpg
dvrdwn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the easyest way to know is to look under your bus for a thing that looks like a radiater. of course you can look at the engine and look for the compresor . it's the extra thing on the left of the engine. i have one in my bus but it dosn't work and i am not fixing it . they say they don't work good at all.the only good thing is maybe the fans still work for air circulation.
NeverHadaBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you have in the photo is basically the "under dash" blower unit for the AC. Every vehicle with AC has some type of blower unit inside the vehicle with hoses running to it from the compressor. An AC system has three main components; the compressor which is always attached to the engine, the condensor which looks like a radiator coil, and some type of "under dash," "overhead", or "sitting on top of your cabinet" blower unit. You could easily have one, two, or all three pieces, but you need all three pieces for the AC to actually work. Most Westfalias used an underdash unit while the regular transporters used an overhead unit that fit along the ceiling just behind the front seats. The type you have is not as common, but if it works it works. Good luck with your bus.
In a chartreuse micra-bus."
Criswell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didnt know for sure how the ac in the busses worked, i definately have that cabinet, minus the vent piece on top . heck i thought it was just an aux heater at first. So the a/c doesnt work well in the busses ? id liek to have it, but if it "sucks" even when it does work , i guess its not worth the time and money to get it working again ... or does it work well when working proprely?
NeverHadaBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a working A/C in a previous bus and it cooled fairly well. Go to type2.com and search their archives on the subject. The condensor and inside blower unit haven't changed much in technology, but the compressor has. Retrofitting the more modern Sanden compressor from the Vanagon is a better alternative than the old York compressor your bus proably came with. The Yorks are still available (busdepot.com), but they use more power from the engine than the Sandens. I don't have any experience with the counter top blower unit like you have in your Westy, but it shouldn't make much difference. The advantage to the underdash unit is being able to install a cab divider and isolate all the cooling air to the two front seats. The old busses leak a lot of air so cooling or heating the whole cabin is always more difficult than isolating the front with some type of divider.
In a chartreuse micra-bus."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: